Friday, February 24, 2012

Friday High Five - and a Big Thumbs Down

I haven't had much to write about this week.  Lots of posts rumbling around in my head but nothing I've been able to flesh out.

Before I got to the High Five, I'm giving a BIG THUMBS DOWN to Blogger's new verification system.  Sometimes it has taken me typing in the combination of words 3-4 times before I get it right because they are so hard to read.  If I normally comment on your blog and I've stopped and you have that turned on, you know why...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Last night after work I ran 3 miles outside with no jacket.  (Didn't have Muay Thai so I slept in yesterday morning - woot!) We hit record temperatures here yesterday.  This morning, woke up to a surprise snow storm.  Now I know how it must feel to live in Texas!  You wouldn't think that I, the queen of disgust when it comes to snow, would give today's weather a High Five but I am.  Well, not the weather.  I'm giving a High Five, with two snaps and a z-formation to Mother Nature who fooled every single weather person in Connecticut who all predicted snow.  You go girl!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have been stuck like glue to my planned eating and exercise. (After the day I had on Wednesday - post coming Monday - that is definitely a mini miracle.)  I always feel better emotionally and physically when I do that. Sort of makes me wonder why I ever would deviate... High Five!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been toodling around looking for some new and refreshing recipe ideas to add to my Paleo repetoire and this week I found two websites that will result in some cooking this weekend.

The first is Multiply Delicious - The Food.  Honestly I haven't seen too many recipes for paleo style baked goods that appealed to me but the photo alone of her Paleo Pumpkin Streusel Muffins made my mouth water.  It would be nice to have something like this for breakfast once in a while instead of eggs.

As is often the case, one blogger leads to another and this one led me to paleOMG.  Love that name!  There's a recipe for Sundried Tomato Pesto Pasta that immediately made me think of Shelley because it's made with spiralized zucchini.  The other recipe I'm going to try involves a sweet potato, which I eat usually on my third workout in 24 hours days. The Cranberry Sweet Potato Breakfast Cakes sound so good and I think as long as I get the base of the recipe prepped on the weekend it's something I could easily make while I get ready for work.

While I haven't actually made these recipes yet, they get a high five simply for the fact that it made me happy to find such delicious looking Paleo recipes that didn't require a bunch of weird ingredients! High Five - on the Downside - *Slap*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I purchased my first outfit for our 20th Anniversary trip to St. Martin!  The trip is weeks away but I found this at TJ Maxx and you know you can't walk away from things there because when you go back it might not be there.  What I really love about this is that it fits me now and in ten pounds it will still fit and look a bit better.  It's motivatingly hanging right where I can see it every single day.

Yes, I bought shoes too - what?  You didn't thing I would?
(and WHY do they put the size stickers on the top instead of the bottom - so annoying!)

Double Handed High Five!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Finally, here's some inspiration to get you through the weekend and its temptations.  If you think change is too far away to grasp or that it's taking too long, you need to read my friend Heather's story.  She's a mom of five children who has transformed herself over the past few years (notice I did not say 'months').  I've been bugging her to share it because I just know there are people in similar circumstances who need the encouragment.  If you met her right now (and wait until you see her current photo!), you'd never believe she once weighed 220 lbs.  Go ahead, go read it - you'll be high fiving me after you do!

26 comments:

  1. Virtual High Five!

    Love the dress and the shoes -and I hate the stickers on the shoes. They never come off completely and then that little sticky residue gets, well, uncool.

    Love your determination and love hearing about your successes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto about Blogger's new verification! And a big thumbs up to the 3 miles! I would have done the same thing w/the dress - it is tooo cute!

    I'll be checking out Heather's story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If I normally comment on your blog and I've stopped and you have that turned on, you know why..."

    Unfortunately I am leaning the same way. Spam is not much of a problem so unless people are experiencing spam, just turn it off. At work, I type up a reply in notepad and cut and paste since I do not want to leave the blog up on my screen for too long.. but the capcha is causing me pain so started to avoid blogs with it on when at work.

    Great temps in VA.. 70 yesterday and probably today, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen I absolute love the dress. Something I would buy for myself too. It's gorgeous.

    I've noticed this new verification on someone's blog and thought it was more difficult than normal but didn't really think about it. I don't like it when I have to verificate every time on a blog I regularly read.

    Have a great weekend Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Virtual high-fives all around! And it's Friday!! Woo Hoo!

    That verification with blogger really makes me stabby. I hate it. I have not been commenting if I can't get it through once because I read too many blogs to have to waste time with that. Annoying.

    Uber cute dress, too. So breezy and fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Stabby" Love that. I'm stealing it.

      Delete
    2. Haha, I love "stabby" too. We three shall be stabby together. :)

      Delete
  6. I agree-2 thumbs way down on the new word verification. And blogger has made it a real pain in the arse to turn off!

    Cute outfit!

    Have a great weekend!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good linkies today Helen! so good I almost forgot to comment. Plus I was enjoying your high five descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debby - glad you noticed the descriptions - I actually worked on those a bit LOL!

      Delete
  8. I think we are all in agreement about that blogger verification change. I keep trying to work out some noise about it on Twitter, hoping that maybe Google will revert to something easier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to come out of lurker status to give you a virtual High Five. Heather's story - much like your own! - is SO INSPIRING to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh I love when I can draw you lurkers out. So glad you took the time to click over. Heather really is a remarkable woman and I'm so pleased to know her in real life!

      Delete
  10. Hive fives all around! And yeah, I was wondering what the heck in regards to some blogs with the verification thingy...

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE that outfit Helen!!! So cute - and so jealous of your upcoming trip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Friday Helen! Love that dress and it's a great motivator to have new Spring clothes to look forward to wearing. I have been picking up a few things here and there as well as shopping my closet!

    Glad you found some new blogs with recipes that fit into your food plan. Variety helps me stay on plan!

    Enjoy your weekend and thanks for the kick in the butt you gave me about staying off the scale daily! I can't promise that I will stay off until next Friday but I am going to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it Tami, you can! In fact, I think I CHALLENGE you to stay off it for one whole week :D

      Delete
  13. Happy Friday! I agree about Blogger's word verification! That can be sooo frustrating! I know I'm not blind or dumb, but it makes you feel that way! I'm headed over to read Heather's story ... and cute outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. High five sister-friend! I am with you on the new word verification thing - and same as you, if it doesn't take the first try, I usually get frustrated and click out without commenting. Bah, Blogger!

    LOVE that dress - the colors are SO YOU. Glad you bought it! I agree on the shoe stickers - and even when you peel them off, you still get stickum on your heels. Obviously a man thought that placement up. ;)

    Thanks for the reminder about the zucchini! I may just have some next week.

    You made me LOL about the surprise snow storm fooling everyone - and yes, that is exactly what Texas weather is like, with the massive (mood) swings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that dress! Helen, I actually thought of you yesterday when I was leaving my office - it had started to snow and I was wearing my regular (one of four pairs!) of shoes. All of a sudden I felt my socks get wet - sure enough the bottom of the shoe had a crack in it.

    What did I do? I put duck tape on it - no one will ever see it and they'll last me another two years. :D

    How many pairs of shoes does that make??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmmmm I've lost count. In fact as I put those shoes in the closet I decided it's time for a shoe clean out simply because I need to see the shoes I have before I buy any more LOL!

      Biz, if we ever get to meet IRL, I FORBID the wearing of duck tape shoes!!

      Delete
  16. I hit enter too fast - have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the dress and the shoes! You are going to look so great, Helen! I agree with you on the word verification problem. I am going to try to turn mine off when I get home. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Helen...LOVE the dress!!!! And agree 100% on the word verification. Have a fantastic weekend. High Five to that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Helen..this is why I'm contemplating either replacing the blogger comment engine with Disqus or Facebook...but then again I don't have word verification or moderation of any kind turned on anyway. I just exclude anonymous comments.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I got rid of comment verification on my blog, it was just not worth it. I don't get spammed, and I can remove them if I do.
    OOOOOH, the new TJ Maxx dress is aweseome! I love seeing your shopping results for the St Martins trip. Wow, is that time of year already?

    ReplyDelete