Friday, February 10, 2012

Friday High Five!

I cannot tell a lie - this has been an exhausting week mentally and emotionally.  In addition to the lovely trolling email I received, there has been a huge change in the schedule at my dojo which may mean I will have to stop taking Muay Thai.  I still haven't decided what I'm going to do.  Because of the level of stress and disappointment I have decided to let it rest for a week or so before I make a decision.

(By the way, thank you all so much for your lovely comments on the Dear Anonymous blog.  I almost didn't allow comments but I'm glad I did!  I got some regular readers to delurk - nice to meet you! - and found out someone in New Zealand is reading Doing A 180.  I feel like one of the cool kids.)

Also, today I'm attending the funeral of one of  Mr. Helen's aunts.  Granted she lived a nice long life - 88 years - but still, it's hard to say goodbye to those you love.

ANYWAY, because I am under orders from my doctor to try to reduce my stress as much as possible, I have been working on accentuating the positive so I'm going to give you a Friday High Five!  A few things that shout happiness and joy, or show that something really awful can be turned into a positive.... ready?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Along with my Giants decorations, I should have put a sign up somewhere in my house:  Superbowl Party by Pinterest.   Because most of those recipes came straight from pins I found there.  Instead of reposting in full the ones that were the most requested after you saw my photos, I'm just going to post the links here along with explanation if I changed anything.

Baked Polenta Fries:  These were so good I'll make them again just to have as a side dish over a potato fry.  However, this makes a huge 10x15 pan's worth at least, so I'll cut the recipe in half for sure.  Also, next time I might try stirring in a different cheese.  If you happen to be vegan and don't want the cheese you could feasibly just eliminate it and make the recipe with all water which I also want to try next time simply to reduce calories.  Honestly, we didn't love the dip on this recipe and I wouldn't make it again.

Zucchini Sticks and Sweet Onion Dip: Holy yum!  I will make these again just as a different way to make a vegetable.  I'm not a huge fan of Panko bread crumbs - they just never work well for me, so I substituted regular seasoned bread crumbs and they turned out great.  Also, the dip is AMAZING.  We all ended up dipping our polenta fries in this dip as well.  This recipe makes a lot too so don't be tempted to make more than the 3 zucchini it calls for.

Asian Flank Steak Skewers: These were so good they will go into our regular meal rotation, especially in the summer.  I didn't and wouldn't change a thing about this recipe!

Turtle Cheesecake Balls:  This was one of the first things I pinned on my Pinterest Food board and have been long suffering waiting for the perfect occasion to make as Mr. Helen doesn't care for cheesecake and I love it.  With the guests coming I knew it would be the perfect time.  As I do a lot of cooking and creating with food, I've learned to taste as I go along and I didn't care for the taste of the cheese mixture so I added a 1/4 cup of sugar.  Also, I used only the 1/2 cup of graham cracker crumbs.  Perfection!  These would be a great dish to take to a potluck or a brunch or if you are having a heavier meal and would just like a bite of dessert.  This recipe is also a keeper and has gone into the permanent binder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have some in real life friends who have launched a new blog. It sort of cracks me up that we are friends because they are around the same age as Little Helen but I guess that's what happens as you age - age doesn't matter!

If you know me via Facebook you saw this link yesterday when it launched.  But I also wanted to share it here.  Heather, Damian, and Kara are some of the healthiest, fittest people I know:  Kara is actually a star player for the WNBA's Connecticut Sun. They epitomize the goal I'd like to get to myself, and I'm honored that they are friends with this old enough to be their mother lady!  I present:  Laws on Wellness

In particular if you are looking for vegetarian/vegan ideas, Heather has become an amazing Vegan Chef.  She's sweet too because every time she comes up with something that doesn't contain soy (I can't have soy due to my thyroid), she shares her creations with me.  

Take a look, maybe add this blog to your reader - you won't regret it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's not too late to participate in Lori's Heart Healthy Weekend.  Pick today, tomorrow or Sunday and move!  You can run, walk, bike or any other type of movement.  Once you've done something, take a photo of some sort and send it off to Lori.  I'm participating and hope you will too.

Guess what?  I can do two things at once!

In addition to participating in the Heart Healthy Weekend, I will also be doing the Virtual Run for Sherry Arnold tomorrow.  Sherry Arnold is the woman who, a few weeks ago, went out for her morning run at 6:30 and never came home.  The FBI caught the men involved in her abduction and they admitted to murdering her but her body has never been recovered.  You know, I think this is something that has gone through every runner's mind at one point or another and her cousin who writes the blog associated with that link up there touched a huge nerve when she organized this run.  At this point, in addition to some famous and elite runners participating, they had so many people contact them who couldn't run but wanted to participate they've changed it to run, walk, move or whatever you can do in honor of Sherry.  There is a link to a printable bib and everything.

If you've ever wanted to participate in a huge road race, here's your chance as this one has gone world wide.  Print that bib out, wear it proudly and move in honor of Sherry.

Have a great day and make it a positive, healthy weekend.  There's nothing negative about the weekend, right?!

22 comments:

  1. What a positive post Helen, my weekend is almost here and it's nice to read a blog like yours before I go home and start off the weekend right.

    Have a great weekend!

    By the way: you were already one of the cool kids with your Dutch follower LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Fran! I guess I should have said I feel "extra" cool because I thought other than Canadians (who are on the same continent as me), you were my only international reader. So take heart you were the first to make me cool lol!

      Delete
  2. Love that you started out my day with such a positive post! :)

    And add those zucchini sticks to the list, ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I need to go back through these posts because I think I forgot to add the last thing...

      Delete
  3. First of all, I love the Friday High Five! No matter what, I think each day you can find at least one positive thing to get you through.

    I am not on pinterest (yet!) but I have flagged those turtle things the next time I need to bring a treat to work - um, pretty sure they are insulin worthy!

    And I was so sad to hear about Sherry - I planned on printing out the bib and wear it when I run my five miles this weekend. So fricken sad.

    Sending hugs your way for Mr. H's Aunt. I hope to live to 88 which means I am only half way there! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe share! I've got them on Pinterest now too!
    Good idea to let the Muay Thai thing rest for a bit. Something might just pop in when you least expect it. Everything happens for a reason, right? At least that's what I keep telling myself!
    Sorry about the passing of Mr's aunt. It's never easy.
    Have a great weekend!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "high five" is such a nice way to end the week. Sorry about Mr. Helen's aunt, and also was sad to hear about Sherry Arnold. What a tragedy.

    I'm going to have to get involved in Pinterest. I've had a couple of invitations, but haven't accepted yet.

    Good idea to follow doctor's orders and reduce stress. If we don't take care of ourselves, no one will. Have a great weekend, Helen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, Pinterest is a huge time suck when you first go on but it does settle down and you'll really enjoy it!

      Delete
  6. I feel destressed just reading your post! I've already been running into the classrooms at work and yelling TGIF!

    You know I'll be checking out those recipes. They sound good - esp. the zuke sticks. And I already bookmarked the Laws on Wellness last night on the laptop while reading Facebook. Sounds interesting.

    Have a good weekend and peaceful weekend Helen. SERENITY NOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will enjoy Laws on Wellness Leslie. I know you're trying to eat strictly Paleo right now but they'll be posting some super vegetable recipes that you'll be able to use. They put one up the first day for stuffed zucchini.

      Delete
  7. Wow, love this post Helen!! You made my day.
    I am saddened to read about Sherry Arnold and although I am not a runner, I am going to print off that bib and get out this weekend and do a 5k - either walking or my half-attempt at slogging :)
    I hope you have a fantastic weekend Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job on being positive! I'm off to check out some of your links. LOL at Shelley giving you a list of foods she wants you to fix for her. That is going to be some banquet! Can I come? Can I request your pumpkin cake with the pepitas on the icing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, I guarantee you if you travel all the way across the country to visit me, I'll make you that cake!

      Delete
  9. Great way to be positive to end the week! Woo Hoo!

    I am afraid to make all of my pinned recipes or I will gain a lot of weight LOL!

    Thanks for participating in my Healthy Heart weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So would I Lori, but I've found quite a few healthy recipes and lately I've been making one a week - or so. That's why it was fun to have a little party... I got to satisfy my Pinterest passion!

      Delete
  10. I think you rock the whole rocking world and you are rocking awesome!
    Land on your sparkling feet and wipe that ANON dust off your sparkly boots...
    And wash that guy right outta your hair!
    Onward!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you are having a great weekend.. you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found your blog and I love it!! I also just started a weight loss blog and I would love some more readers to hold me accountable. Check it out http://watchmeshrinkydink.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the recipe links Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Helen. OMG...I'm sooooo late to the party. Hope you had a great weekend and that this week is MUCH less stressful for you!!! Take care.

    ReplyDelete