Friday, February 17, 2012

Friday High Five

This week's edition of the Friday High Five: favorite feel good moments of the last week... or so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not kidding when I tell you that sometimes the biggest highlight of my week is getting a manicure.  I enjoy the pampering and even though my manicurist and I often spend the time talking up a storm, it's so relaxing.

High Five for a classic French Manicure!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valentine's Day.  For years and years we did nothing more than exchange a card.  I was totally fine with that.  For some reason unbeknownst to me, in the last few years Mr. Helen has taken over Valentine's Day and turned it into a date night.  You won't hear me complain!

It was a great evening with cards, balloon, dinner made by him and cupcakes!  We opened one of our more expensive bottles of wine, sat at the table and ate dinner, and talked while romantic music played in the background. High Five to eating at the table and talking!

Balloons shaped like flowers


I know he loves me because he roasted asparagus, which he hates!  I walked into the kitchen at one point and literally cracked up laughing at what I saw. See the demarcation line on the roasting pan?  

"The green beans and the asparagus must not touch!"


My Surf & Turf Dinner:  Filet Mignon, Baked Stuffed Shrimp, Roasted Asparagus

(Biz, I know you wanted a recipe for the baked stuffed shrimp but we have a fresh seafood market here that makes them so all we have to do is cook them.  We've tried making our own but their stuffing is amazing so now we always buy them premade.)

Dessert! I adore the hearts on the Red Velvet Cupcakes.  The others were Oreo cupcakes.

Each month I change the photos on one of the living room tables to reflect something in that month:  photos of us with our mothers in May for example.  Because it was Valentine's month I went with a couple of photos of us.  In trying to take a photo of the cards we exchanged, I also got in this candid shot that was taken some years ago at a party.   High Five!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shelly has been bugging me suggesting that I start showing an occasional fashion shot as I am getting into smaller clothing.  So not my thing but I thought this outfit looked pretty cute and I have to admit it was one of the week's High Fives, so here you go Shelley.  It's a mix of new and old.  The sweater is one I picked up at TJ Maxx a few months ago.  Didn't fit me when I bought it but I knew it would sell out so I grabbed it anyway.  The slacks I've had for years and liked them so much I never did give them away.  I'd say the last time I was able to get these on was sometime in 2008.  So, hurray for new pieces that revitalize my old clothing making it new again!

Love the slit on the ankle of these pants

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thought my highest five of the last week was Feeling normal.  But then, the day I wore that outfit above, I walked into my house and Mr. Helen greeted me with, "Hello there skinny minny.  You make that sweater look pretty, is it new?" Oh yeah.

Great way to end the work week.  What was your high five?

18 comments:

  1. Love everything about this post! So thoughtful (the asparagus!!LOL! - so cute, sweet and romantic!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Friday High Five! It's always fun to focus on the good things! And what good things you had this week! I liked your moment of normalcy. I know how rare those can be. Here's to more of those moments!
    I had a bit of a break through this week regarding my own "issues" so I'm counting that as a High Five for me this week!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely wonderful post! What a sweetheart Mr. Helen is. You look great, Helen! And have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Helen is a keeper, what a sweet man. You are blessed Helen but so is he with you.

    You look fabulous in that outfit, love the shoes too :)

    I think you had a great week and I love all the positivity in this post. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is hilarious, with the asparagus and green beans not touching.

    Love the sweater, and I do love the slit on the pants. You look great in them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby I even asked him if he was sure he wanted to put them on the same pan because he doesn't even want asparagus "odor" near his green beans LOL!

      Delete
  6. This entire post is my high five! So much to love! The sweater is perfect...reminds me of one that I bought a few months ago...August Silk maybe? (I removed the label because they scratch my neck). You look long and lean in those pants - love the FF!!!

    Mr. Helen is a sweetie, and what's up with your sentimentality, changing the photograph every month? Love the extra glimpse into your life with this revelation! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley I went and looked just for you... the sweater is "Joseph A. qu'est-ce que c'est silk" very similar to August Silk I would imagine.

      Delete
  7. I have few places to display photos and most of them are downstairs in the family room. I decided to start rotating them upstairs to the living room and thought that attaching the month to the photo was a way to figure out which to display. Plus by bringing them upstairs it's like they're new pictures all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!! Love all of your high fives. What a great idea with changing your photos with different occasions. Fabulous idea.
    Have a great weekend and I love your positive attitude and no matter what size you are, you're a beautiful person inside and out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look great!! Definitely a high five post! :()

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look great - and so does your food!

    ReplyDelete
  11. French manicures are my favorite! Looks so classy :D

    What a wonderful Valentine's Day. Mr. Helen is good to you (as he should be).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the photo of you and Mr. Helen that you put out, that's a great one of you too.

    And awesome that you guys had a romantic dinner! With 3 kids and being a school night, my valentine's was not that romantic - helping with homework and stuff :(

    And great that you can shop in your closet for clothes you haven't been able to wear - so proud of how great you are doing Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you had a wonderful Valentine's Day. Your hands are beautiful, love the manicure. The outfit is great too. You look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love a classis French Mani - so Spring like! What a sweet hubby to cook dinner for you and even a a veggie he doesn't like.

    "Skinny Minny" why yes, you are!

    I have had a great week on so many levels. Stayed on my food plan with no carb cravings, fit back into some jeans, ordered a couple of dresses and they fit!

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look amazing in that outfit. The pants make your legs look so skinny. I love asparagus. Looks like you had a lovely dinner. How sweet of your hubby to cook! My Friday high five was making it through my surgery. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whew those are ankle pants; you had me worried for a minute! Great outfit, and what a lovely Valentine's Day dinner! I wish we had a seafood place around here...a nice stuffed shrimp every once in a while would be amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete