Monday, February 6, 2012

Go Big Blue!


The Giants have been Mr. Helen's favorite sports team since he was 10 years old.  He's a true fan too - sticks with them through thick and thin.  Needless to say, our household was full of excitement over their participation in the Super Bowl.  Once we knew they were in I asked Mr. Helen what he would like to have to eat - or if he would even prefer to go out somewhere to watch the game.  But he's a homebody at heart, plus he has his new HD TV so was excited about watching the game on that.  He chose chicken wings, ribs, and guacamole.  I sort of looked at him and said, "Would you like a vegetable with that?"  He replied, "Isn't guacamole a vegetable?"  Ha!  I began to make plans for our menu and flesh it out a bit.  I didn't want to make too much food as it would be just the two of us.

Then in the middle of last week he and Little Brother Helen, who recently moved back to the area, moved a treadmill together and LBH asked what we were doing.  Of course Mr. Helen immediately asked him to come over.  Wednesday morning I had to call my father-in-law about something and he asked what we were doing, "I know my son is excited about this game..."  So I said, "Pop, would you like to come over for a while?"  Suddenly there would be four.  So I added another item to the menu. Friday evening after work I went out and bought all the items I would need so that I could just spend Saturday at home doing my housework and prepping for Sunday.

I woke up Saturday morning and as usual after my couple of cups of coffee took off for a run.  I decided to keep up my trend from last week and ran 8 miles.  Arrived home happy because I beat this wicked hill in the route I ran and I did it with the wind straight in my face.  As I unloaded my fuel belt I looked at my phone and saw that my sister had texted me asking what we were doing for Super Bowl.  By the end of that textversation, I had two more adults and 2 kiddies.  Now we had a party!

I did spend quite a bit of time on Saturday prepping and when Mr. Helen saw everything I was doing he said he wanted to take me out for a bite to eat, which I took him up on.  We went to our local Mexican restaurant and I had the Steak Burrito Bowl - so good!

Sunday dawned and Mr. Helen took off for work, hoping that he would be able to get off a bit earlier than his scheduled time of 6 pm as he wanted to be home and cleaned up before the National Anthem was sung.  I realized that since my simple Sunday evening had turned into a party I would probably be going to bed way too late to get up at 4 am for a workout this morning so I made myself do my Monday workout.  It felt hard because my legs were feeling a bit fatigued from Saturday's longer run.  It was totally worth it as I didn't even get to bed until 11 p.m. and this morning I was glad to be able to sleep in until 5:45!

We really had a fabulous evening and of course the Giants GIANT victory over the Patriots made it feel like perfection.  Not to mention that it was a blast for me to remind Mr. Helen that all four of the Giants' Super Bowl wins have come since we've known each other - I am his lucky charm!

A pictorial of some of our evening... I'll be sharing a couple of the recipes in this week's Recipe Round-Up.


Homemade decorations to surprise Mr. Helen. He loved them!



The spread:  Ribs, Chicken Wings, Asian Flank Steak Skewers, Polenta 'Fries' with Spicy Dip, Proscuitto Wrapped Asparagus, Zucchini Sticks with Sweet Onion Dip, Ham & Gruyere Pinwheels,  Hummus with Pita Wedges, Potato Chips, Tortilla Chips with Guacamole and Salsa


My sweet Gracie:  "Aunt Helen, can you put something on the downstairs TV for me?  Football is dumb.  It's for boys!"

Dessert:  Banana Pudding Pie

Dessert: Turtle Cheesecake Balls

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a fun night with your loved ones. I love it how something for 2 became a party for your family during the week.

    And the food looks soooooooooooo good!

    I'm getting better in doing a workout on a different day if I know the usual day will be harder to do it. A few years ago I would just skip it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the skewers were a hit for you!

    What a good and supportive spouse you are! Those decorations are great! And what a spread you put out! I'll be tuning in for a couple of recipes!

    But most important is you took time for yourself with those workouts! yay Helen!

    The game was good. Manning deserved his MVP for sure! I hope he's finally out of his brothers shadow! He's good!


    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Helen, your super bowl food looks fabulous! Your guests were treated much better than mine. I'm happy for Mr. Helen that his favorite team won! After our Outback carry out food, I spent most of my time playing dress up and Sorry with the grandkids while my hubby, son, and daughter-in-law watched the game. I like football, but I like it the most when my hapless Vikings are playing (that would have been a 'miracle on astroturf' this year), so I gave everyone a break and occupied the kids. It also kept me out of the food. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOSH HELEN! What a feast! My favorite part was the quote from Gracie! I agree wholeheartedly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a spread!! I'd love your recipe for the polenta fries! So happy for Mr. Helen that his team won :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Helen you out did yourself! It all looks wonderful. I look forward to your recipe sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun, semi-spontaneous party - and of course, the icing was the Giant's winning (that butt-touchdown just CRACKED me up)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great and festive time, with great food!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi helen. Oh fun, seems like a good time was had by all. LOVE Gracie's comment!! So cute. Have a great Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun party! My sister held the party this year and we were texting the menu back and forth as we all bring something. She mentioned the lack of vegetables, to which John piped up and said "No one wants vegetables for the Super Bowl!" LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know if you can hear this over my growling stomach, but way to pound out 8 miles! woot woot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all that food! You did a great job Helen. Tony wasn't feeling good so I couldn't cook anything that "smelled" so I had chips and guacamole for dinner - like Mr. Helen - I counted that as a veggie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a party! A yummy party!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good eats Helen!! Especially the turtles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO FUN.

    we went crazy last year when our steelers played.
    this year we mourned, errr, not so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I cannot believe you just whipped together a party like that! So fun, and so glad your team won!!

    ReplyDelete