Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Paleo-No Faileo

Everyone needs to stop right now and go HERE.  Debbie has reached the 200 pounds lost mark without being on the Biggest Loser, without any sort of drastic measures.  Go - no run - and say congratulations to her!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shelley has her Sit and Knit diet, Lori came up with the Scrub and No Chub diet over the weekend so I was feeling the pressure to name my foodstyle.  Before I could really give it any thought, Lori came up with 

Paleo=No Faileo

Thanks Lori, I love it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I shared how I was going to try to make some recipes from a couple of the newest Paleo blogs I'd found so I spent Sunday doing just that.

I don't know about others who follow a Paleo/Primal diet but for me it requires quite a bit of planning if I don't want to get completely bored with what I'm eating.  Sure it's easy enough to eat meat and vegetables, vegetables and meat, but I'm such a foodie I really like to have great things with exciting flavors.

When I make the Sundried Tomato Pesto Pasta, I prepared all the components and packaged them up separately so I could make it one serving at a time.  It worked perfectly fine and I have been enjoying my fake "pasta" all week.

I decided to make the Cranberry Sweet Potato Breakfast Cakes on Sunday morning because it's a bit involved but I figured I could find a way to do it and have the ingredients ready so I could eat this again on one of my 3 workouts in 24 hours mornings.  The sweet potato cake combined with the egg are just about a perfect recovery food.

As I looked at the recipe, I realized it was too general for me.  Not that I don't cook on the fly but in order to know the nutritional makeup of the food I'm eating I need to be a bit more specific than the original recipe.   So I went at the recipe and weighed and measured and figured it all out - for me and for anyone else who wants to know.  Holy deliciousness is this recipe good!  Not only is it good for breakfast, but it would be good for any meal (I'm talking to you Shelley, instead of yogurt?).  Here's my version:

Sweet Potato Breakfast Cakes with Cranberries and Caramelized Onions
2 cups cooked sweet potato
    1/3 cup dried cranberries
    1 T dried parsley (or 2 T fresh)
    1/2 cup diced red onion (~1/2 a large onion)
    3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp. sea salt
    3 egg whites, beaten
    6 whole eggs
    2 T olive oil (or coconut oil or bacon fat)
    1/2 large red onion, sliced

Preheat oven to 425. Take two large sweet potatoes (10 oz each), wash and prick with a fork. Put on a cookie sheet and place in oven. Bake for approximately 1 hour until soft.

In a large bowl, scoop sweet potato out of skin and mash well. Stir in cranberries, parsley, diced red onion, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Whisk in beaten egg whites.

Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. Turn oven down to 400.

Heat 2 T olive in a large non-stick skillet. Using a half cup measure, scoop a scant half cup into skillet, spreading a bit if necessary to make a crab cake shape. Skillet should fit at least 3 cakes. Fry 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Put finished cakes into prepared baking dish. Repeat with the other half of the potato mixture.

Make an indentation in the top of each cake and crack an egg into the indentation. Put dish in oven and bake for about 20 minutes (more or less) depending on how well done you want your eggs.

While cakes are baking, put the sliced red onion into your frying pan and cook until soft and golden.

When cakes are finished, top with the golden onions and serve.

6 Servings - Per Serving:
201 calories, 8.8g fat, 21.9g carbs, 3.3g fiber, 9.7g protein


Since I am the only one eating this sort of thing in my house (although if I could get Mr. Stubborn Helen to just TRY it I'm sure he'd love it), I needed to figure out how to make the recipe and be able to easily reheat during the week.

My solution was to prepare the cakes then put them on a cookie sheet.  I put the cookie sheet in the freezer, uncovered, until the cakes were frozen, then popped them into a freezer bag.  The caramelized onions are in a container in the fridge. This morning when I wanted this meal again, I took one cake out of the freezer and quickly microwave defrosted it.  Then I popped the whole shebang into the oven to cook the egg and heat the onions and it was every bit as good as when I made it on Sunday!

Success for me really is all about the planning!

22 comments:

  1. Love the diet name! Makes it more fun, dontcha think?

    I really admire how you prep your meals...it's great that you know yourself and what works (variety), and are willing to put the effort into making it happen. This is why you're successful, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds awesome. I'm having a hard time finding dried cranberries that aren't sweetened though. I ♥ cranberries. Absolutely loved the Grapefruit and avocado salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna I have found unsweetened cranberries in the organic section at my grocery store. But truthfully, I'm not that strict when it comes to dried cranberries as I don't eat very many of them.

      Delete
  3. I admire you too for prepping your meals for the week on Sunday. I just don't feel like doing that. But it sure helps if you have things ready for your working week. Maybe I should think about this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing that recipe Helen and figuring out the nutritional information. Less the dried cranberries it will fit into my food plan for my higher carb days! I am so excited to give this a try. Like you, I love good tasting food and enjoy having a lot of variety in my weekly food plan.

    Now the pressure is on to name my food plan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you had me on that recipe until you plopped that egg into the middle of it! Hmm. What else could I put into the middle of it? Maybe a little sliced ham?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Put whatever your little heart desires in the middle of it Debby! I knew you were a bit finicky about eggs but I had no idea it went this far LOL!

      Delete
  6. Love it! So clever. :)

    I'm thinking about cutting out some dairy which I guess would make me almost a paleo sister. LOL

    Going over to check out the transformation now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most dairy I can live without - I already drank black coffee before I even started this but I have to admit, I miss cheese. I often choose cheese as part of my weekly treat :D

      Delete
  7. Okay, you lost me at the carmelized onions, but I love the nutritional stats! You are doing so great Helen!!

    And those pitas I had yesterday - 1/2 a pita turned out to be a serving - it had four whole pitas in the package, and the stats on the back said 8 servings. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I just bought the 8 grain ones for a friend who couldn't find them at her local grocery store and wanted to try them and her package says 4 servings and it's 4 pitas. Also if you look it up on Livestrong they list the serving as 1 pocket. Makes me wonder what's going on...

      Delete
  8. I'd leave the onion out of that recipe, but it sure looks tasty! I could never do really strict paleo because I need my dairy. Or rather I just won't give up my dairy. That give variety enough for me.

    Rock on, Helen! You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my cheese comment to Kelly above :D Which probably puts me closer to Primal and low GI, right?

      Delete
  9. Looks amazing Helen! (and laughed out loud at calling Mr. Helen "Mr. Stubborn"!) Have a wonderful Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Roz, he's an adventurous eater - loves all types of cuisine. But ultimately the man loves his hunk of meat and starches (skip the veggies!) and to him mixing an egg on top of a sweet potato that has fruit in it is an abomination lol!

      Delete
  10. That does look really good! I love cranberries. And I bet it is filling too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooooooh. That looks and sounds so good! Hubby loathes sweet potatoes, so it would be alllll miiiiine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen you can make them like I did then. Popping them in the freezer has really worked out well!

      Delete
  12. I love the name of the diet!
    And I'm with you, I'm all about the planning because without planning I tend to fail....

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow.
    Im off to congratulate Debbie
    THAT IS AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am trying the 30 day meal plan in The Paleo Solution. I just found out I am gluten intolerant and my acupuncturist suggested I try this way of eating before I try to substitute a whole bunch of other grains. I have to say, it's been three weeks since he told me that, and I've been gorging myself on fast food, bread and cheese, but last night I gave it a try. It's not going to kill me.

    ReplyDelete