Monday, March 5, 2012

Birthday Palooza, Day 1, Part 1

As always with my birthday, I manage to stretch it out as long as possible.  Nothing wrong with keeping a good thing going, right?

The festivities started on Thursday afternoon with cupcakes given to me by my coworkers who knew I wouldn't be in the office on my actual birthday.  The were from my favorite, The Cake Lady, and because it was mostly women partaking, we cut several up into quarters so that we could taste several flavors.  There were two men present and they each ate a whole cupcake as they declared us nutty!

Friday morning Mr. Helen and I slept in until 6:30 then got up and prepared to leave for our mini Spa Vacation.  As I was finishing up getting ready he told me he had to run to the bank and would be right back.  When he got home he walked through the door with this:

I almost felt sad to leave them alone for the night but I knew my fabulous spa day awaited so off we went!  We were running a little bit later than anticipated so I didn't have time to stop and take a photo of the outside of the spa so I'll show you a Googled image:

We got checked in and Mr. Helen went off to use the fitness facility, hot tub and whirlpool in the men's locker room and I went off to yoga, followed by hot tubbing and a facial.  No photos allowed in those areas of course.  After our morning activities, we went to lunch.  Mr. Helen came out to meet me fully clothed and said, "I thought we were going to lunch?"  "Yes," I replied. "But you're in your bathrobe..."  "Yes honey, just wait until we get to the dining room, you'll probably be the only person in clothes."  And he was!  Well at least until another couple came in and the husband was also dressed.  I told Mr. Helen they'd probably had the same conversation we did lol!

The food and service in the restaurant is spectacular.  My lunch package included a choice of two courses and all the water, coffee and tea I could drink.  We decided to start with a toast to me (and once I saw this photo I immediately thought of Roz and Dennis and their toasts):

I chose to have an appetizer, shrimp cocktail, and the Tenderloin Salad with balsamic reduction.  Mr. Helen got this salad as well.  It was delicious!


After lunch before our pedicures we decided to see if our room was available to check in.  It was and when we got to the room, we were astonished - we had been upgraded to a suite! Years ago, my sister dated the guy who is the inn manager and he knew we were there celebrating my birthday.  Sometimes, it really is who you know! The hallway leading to the room was long and at this point we still didn't know it was a suite:


We opened the door and said, "Holy CARP!" Between the living room area, the bedroom and the two! bathrooms, this suite was almost as big as two levels of my three level house:





As you can see, we were having quite the day.... and at this point it was only about 3:00.  Come back tomorrow for part 2!

17 comments:

  1. How posh! What a great way to start your new year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's only 7:30 in the morning, but now I want a cupcake! OMG, to have that bathroom - holy smokes! Whenever Tony and I stay at a hotel in Chicago, I ususally tell the front desk that it's our anniversary (even if it isn't) and 9 times out of 10 we get an upgrade. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. First I'll definitely come back for part 2 because it's promising.

    What a great first part of your birthday weekend. I love, love the suite you guys got (totally deserved by the way) and that you went to this spa together.

    And like Biz I want a cupcake too but here it's around 3 in the afternoon so it would go well with my tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a birthday, Helen. What a beautiful place, and the food looks fabulous!! Can't wait for Part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful way to spend your birthday! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Helen! What a fantastic way to spend your being day. Love the spa idea, I love that tub in your room. I'm all into taking long bubble baths.

    Mr. Helen is so sweet to bring you the baloon and flowers too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at cupcake! What a great start to the birthday celebration. I can't wait for part the two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an incredible celebration!!!

    Also, I'm with the ladies about the cupcakes. Why just have one of one flavor when you can have one of four flavors. Men...*smh*.

    Happy, Happy Birthday! And many more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes on the splitting the cupcakes to have more flavors! That's the only way to go.

    And yes, that is a fantastic looking bathroom. I do love nice bathrooms with the big tubs.

    The food looks fantastic. Yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops. I forgot to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. FANCY! Soooooo glad you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like an amazing time! Love the look of that salad, looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Continued happy birthday Helen!!!!! And next time Dennis and I toast, we'll think of you!!!! What a fantastic looking place, look forward to part 2! "click"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good gravy! Everything is so wonderful! I'm sending Chuck to your post. I want THIS birthday! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday! Looks like you had a wonderful weekend of celebrating! By chance is The Cake Lady someone named Charlene?

    ReplyDelete