Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Delicious Times Two!

We've been eating well this week.  As I prepared some things last Sunday, I tried two new recipes that were so terrific, I just had to share.

The first recipe is for Chipotle Lime Carnitas.  I didn't change a thing about this recipe so I'm just linking to it.  I loved that it cooked all day in the crockpot which freed me up to spend time making other things.  The end result was so delicious that I almost wish I'd made more!  Mr. Helen loved the flavor of this meat so much he didn't even want to roll it up in a soft wrap as suggested - he just put a pile on his plate and ate it.  This will definitely be a permanent part of our rotation.

The second recipe was for chicken meatball packed with vegetables that I found a couple of weeks ago on one of my favorite new blogs, Multiply Delicious.  I changed up the portions a bit and changed the method because my food processor isn't big enough to handle all the ingredients at once.  If you have a non-vegetable eater in your house, this is a great way to get some vegetables in them.  Of course, this is also paleo friendly but I think would fit well for those who eat low carb as well.

Chicken-Vegetable Meatballs
(barely adapted from a recipe seen on Multiply Delicious)
1 1/2 cups chopped carrot (about 3 carrots)
1 1/2 cups chopped zucchini (about 1 large)
3 large cloves garlic
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast (for me this was 3 breast halves)
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. dill weed
6 T almond flour
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 and line a couple of cookie sheets with parchment paper.
In the meantime, using a food processor, pulse carrots until finely chopped. Empty into a large bowl.
Pulse zucchini until finely chopped, empty into bowl.
Pulse garlic and parlsey together and add to other vegetables in bowl.
Pulse chicken breasts until ground, add to bowl.
Sprinkle almond flour over everything and add salt, pepper and dill, then crack eggs over. Using your hands, mix everything together well. This mixture will be very wet.
Using a large spoon or tablespoon, scoop rounded tablespoonfuls out onto prepared cookie sheets.
Bake at 350 for approximately 30 minutes.

Makes 36 meatballs; Per meatball - 44.5 calories, 1.5g fat, 1.3g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 6.3g protein.


You could change the spices in this mix to your desired tastes, i.e. Italian spices, or curry, or pepper flakes.  So many possible variations.  I made up some zucchini noodles, which I mixed with pesto and then put these meatballs on the top. So, so good!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 


Per your request, there is now a recipe tab at the top of the page with links to posts that have recipes, enjoy!


12 comments:

  1. Looks good Helen! Glad I just had lunch otherwise I would be licking off my screen right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, in looking at your recipes page, you really cook a lot! Coming from an "assembler", that's quite impressive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm. I LOVE carnitas. That recipe sounds divine. Thanks for sharing it , and thanks for the recipe tab. Off to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby and daughter love carnitas, thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carnitas--yum! The recipe sounds and looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy - I love finding ways to sneak veggies in for myself, although I guess it really isn't sneaking if I know they are in there...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you think you could use 1.5 pounds of organic ground chicken instead of doing it yourself? The meatballs sound yummy. And love the recipe feature:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I often do that myself. I just happened to have bought chicken breasts in bulk at half the price of ground chicken. My only caution is make sure you're using ground chicken 'breast.' Regular ground chicken is much more fatty and would change the nutrition.

      Delete
  8. oooh Im off to whole PAYCHECK :-) today too.
    gonna grab me some ground chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love balls! They look delicious - thanks for the recipe links!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I am going to have to try those carnitas -- I love pork!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh, I love that chicken meatball idea, especially chopping up the chicken yourself! I think I am going to try that next week.

    ReplyDelete