Monday, March 19, 2012

Out of Sorts

We celebrated my father-in-law's 84th birthday over the weekend.  Just a simple family get-together.  He wanted pasta and no one wanted to cook so meatballs, sausages, sauce, and garlic bread were purchased from his favorite Italian place.  We actually did cook the spaghetti to go with, and a salad was served to top it off.  He requested the Pecan Pie Cake that I had for my birthday so, of course, I made it.  What an experience that was.  The end result is delicious but that cake is time intensive to make.  Because the cake itself is a chiffon style, egg whites have to be beaten then folded in so I was glad I had both a stand mixer and a hand mixer at my disposal.  Most definitely worth the work but between that and the richness of the ingredients, also most definitely a special occasion only cake.  We did not torture him by putting 84 candles on it, rather I bought the number style candles and served it with real whipped cream.  He was happy.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I don't know what is going on with me but I have felt "off" ever since the time change.  Just slightly..... not right. Weird.  I felt that way all last week haven't yet been able to shake it.  That offness actually reflected in my weigh-in as well. 


I really didn't expect that but when I went back to look at my food logs to see if there was anything that stood out, I actually had one whole day and part of another where I didn't log my food.  That's really odd for me and I completely don't remember not logging.  Like I said, "OFF."

I started to get upset about this because what you see there is exactly what I did the entire month of February - lose one week, gain the next.  Not to mention that this weight puts me exactly back where I was at the end of January.  (Alex, I'll take "Plateau" for $1000.)  The more I thought about it, and sorted my feelings out, the more I knew it would do no good to be upset and in fact, sometimes stressing actually further hampers progress.  

I spent a lot of time over the weekend reflecting on the things Chris wrote in her blog last week about how much harder it is the closer you get to goal - and also on some of the comments I got on Friday's blog from people who are in maintenance.  Ultimately my thought process led me to what I know:  I am eating very healthy and this is just a blip on the radar.  My process this week is that I am going to just eat a bit less food - nothing drastic - maybe cut out a snack or take a couple less ounces of protein.  It's doable.

I got on Facebook briefly this morning and as things sometimes happen,s aw this status update which I believe was meant for me, even though the person who wrote it doesn't know that. 

Your perspective on an issue influences the mindset you'll have
while accomplishing the task.

A good reminder for all of us, no matter what we are trying to accomplish.


14 comments:

  1. You mean you didn't make that birthday cake for me?! It looks like an AMAZING cake and I am sure your FIL appreciated it!

    No worries about the scale Helen - your efforts will show up next week - promise!

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to your FIL Helen. That's a respectable age and definitely worth celebrating with that delicious pie.

    Now you're getting me scared by feeling off after the time change :) We have it this weekend.

    You took action for the coming week and I'm sure you're scale will be nice to you next time you step on it. Keep going girl, you're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the addition of WHATEVER YOURE TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH as Ive found that so much in my own life.
    writing fitness family spirituality it all seems to grow that.much.more.challenging. the closer I get to goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Helen, I just want to say you already look STUNNING for a 50 year old woman. STUNNING. If you just continue on and can maintain that 20 pound weight loss, I think that will be a huge victory. If you lose a little more, well, that is a bonus.

    Like you said, you are already eating very healthy. No need to stress, you are right about that too.

    I do like that saying, and I like Miz's reminder that it applies to all areas of my life.

    Oh, and along the lines of what Shelley wrote, how we are all a little different--doing what works for us? That cake looks amazing. But I couldn't make that any more. I could eat one little piece though, if you ever wanted to send me one LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to your FIL - and a family get together is such a nice way to spend the day.

    With weight loss, you know it is never linear - as is our motivation/dedication. It is really and truly hard to be "on" all the time forever and ever. There is a lot of spinning of the wheels and those people who figure out how to get the traction back under the wheels are the ones who succeed. This is the time to refocus, change up a couple thinks to de-rut yourself and to also take a good close look at how far you have come in the last 133 day and celebrate that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there Helen. It helps rare-do-wells like me to see that virtually everyone struggles with this at times. Some more than others. I have no doubt you'll get your groove back very quickly.

    My acupuncturist/Chinese medicine friend tells me that season change times are always challenging for our systems at levels that are completely below awareness. The end of the pseudo winter of this year, the recent time change - all this and more sets us off square at times. Just hang in. Thanks for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that card...and I bet your body was just adjusting to everything. Plus, you were exercising a ton, which oddly can make for weird weigh-ins. I know, you CAN'T WIN!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's interesting how the time change thing works...there are those who dread falling back (that would be me) and those who really don't like springing forward...I feel like after a long hard winter, I am finally getting my mojo back! And I'm totally with Lori re it never being linear...it sucks, but it's the damned truth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE this time change Karen. It's so odd how I've been affected by it this year as this has never happened in the past. I'll be glad to be feeling more normal and sooner than later I hope!

      Delete
  9. The time change has really thrown me for a loop too. I just can't adjust and it's been a week!

    The cake looks delicious! Very nice that you took the extra time to make it for him! I'm sure it's much appreciated.

    So sorry about your MIL. I have seen what Alzheimer's does not only to the victim but to the family. So unfair. Let me know if you have any questions or just need an ear.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa! I'm making that cake...I can just taste how delicious it must be. Hitting a plateau is frustrating but you'll get past that. Don't be too hard on yourself.

    That perspective quote is great and I think it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Weight loss can be so frustrating sometimes!!!! Sometimes I think no matter what you do, different factors affect your weight than just what you ate and when you worked out. Hang in there! Love that quote! And I so am going to get that scale!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE some-ecards! Such a wonderful site. Sorry you are in a wee funk Helen. I'm 100% sure you'll be back "into sorts" soon!!! Season changes can throw off the best of us. Sending BIG hugs your way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh! Who can understand the mysteries of the scale? Does the scale tell you body fat%? Maybe your body is just re------what's the word? Recomposing? Crap. Brain not working. When you lose fat and gain muscle. That's what I mean.

    Either way, you're shrinking in size and you look fabulous, girl!

    ReplyDelete