Thursday, April 12, 2012

Dessert for Breakfast

On Easter Sunday we had a conversation about how my mother let my younger brother and sister eat cake for breakfast.  She also passed this tradition to Little Helen and has continued it forever more with all the other grandchildren.  This is the mother who made me eat Cream of Wheat!  I hated Cream of Wheat!  By the time the last two kids came around, I think she was tired and also, she was a single parent by the time my sister was only a year old.  In any case, her reasoning was that a piece of cake was no worse than them having a donut and it saved her money since she made the cake at home.

I've not been one to eat many sweet breakfasts - I don't even care much for donuts or muffins and tend to eat that type of thing as a snack over breakfast.  I've always preferred savoury over sweet and that includes me not using much, if any sugar, in my cereal or oatmeal as I grew up (I finally just refused to eat Cream of Wheat so she switched me to oatmeal.)

Every once in while though, a pancake really hits the spot.  I especially like them after a hard run.  I found the recipe for Carrot Cake Pancakes a while ago on my favorite pseudo-Paleo blog, and I've been wanting to make them ever since as carrot cake is one of my top 3 types of cake.

Last Saturday after my speedy 5 miler, everything aligned and I had the appetite and the time to make them.  These pancakes are not Paleo, but as I consider a pancake a treat I didn't even try to make them so, though I'm sure you could.  First of all, they're phenominal! To top it off, after I put all the ingredients in my recipe calculator, they have really good nutrition stats as well (for a pancake).  I put a bit of butter and syrup on the finished pancakes and sprinkled them with about a tablespoon of chopped pecans. Perfect!


Carrot Cake Pancakes
(based on a recipe at Multiply Delicious)

3/4 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. ground ginget
1/4  cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup low fat buttermilk or sour milk (3/4 cup milk with 1 tsp. vinegar stirred in.  Let sit to sour.)
1 T canola oil
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups finely grated carrot
Cooking Spray



Mix the flour through ginger in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.  Stir into dry ingredients just until moist.  Fold in grated carrots.

Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and let heat Scoop 1/4 cup of the batter into hot pan.  This batter is thick so spread a bit with the spatula.  When edges start to look dry, carefully turn.  Repeat with all batter until finished.  You will have 12 pancakes. Serve with whatever toppings you like - a cream cheese drizzle or even just a schmear would be delicious on these.

2 pancakes per serving: 190 calories, 3g fat, 38g carbs, 3.2g fiber, 5.4g protein.

12 comments:

  1. Yummy! Could you just slip a couple in the mail to me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love a sweet breakfast every now and then but not a donut or a muffin. To me those are snacks and no substitute for breakfast.

    I never learned to appreciate carrot in cakes or pancakes. But those pancakes look very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummies! I don't necessarily like savory breakfasts, but my normal breakfasts aren't overly sweet either. Mostly just whatever fruit I have or possibly jam.

    I adore cream of wheat! Always have, and I will confess that I like it kind of lumpy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Lori...I like Cream of Wheat...even more than oatmeal! But I haven't had in ages. The pancakes sound divine. Want to come over this weekend and make them for me?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mother probably did you a favor by not feeding you cake for breakfast...look how you don't have to fight the sweet cravings first thing in the morning. :) That said, I feel bad for the young you, facing Cream of Wheat first thing every day. Blech!

    Those pancakes look fantastic! You know what would be fun? A gourmet pancake house restaurant. Think of the possibilities! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband remarks about how breakfast changed once grandkids came along. Tony would be given cold cereal, oatmeal, and three canned plums - no sugar cereal - just Special K and Wheaties.

    Grandkids came along and all of a sudden they were given syrup laden waffles with whipped cream!

    Love the nutritional stats on those - they look delicious!

    Question of the Day: Did you buy any shoes at DSW??

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound so good that I know better than to even try them. Certain things will definitely flip my addict switch to "ON", and this would be one of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't even like pancakes but those actually look good to me! I have to admit to liking cream of wheat - I know - strange.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm like you Helen, I'm really more of a savory girl, but sometimes, a stack of pancakes really hits the spot!!!!! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You were the lucky one--having had cream of wheat or oatmeal for breakfast. I'm an oatmeal girl, and I have my special way of making it. Don't get me wrong--I also love sweets, but my danger time for indulging in sweets is late in the afternoon, but if I start eating them, I won't be able to stop. So I have to avoid them at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the husband and I RARELY disagree but do vigorously when it comes to cake for breakfast :)
    Im totally fine with the child having, say, leftover bday cake for breakfast (there are only 3 of us so it isnt every day :))as she then has alll day to get the sugars out of her system!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting choice for pancake flavor! I wish I liked carrot cake as much as I like carrots.

    ReplyDelete