Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Miracles

I started my long weekend off with a bang on Thursday evening by meeting up with some friends for dinner.  The party of 9 consisted of friends who live in the area but who I don't see very much and a couple who used to live in the area that we hadn't seen in years.  The couple had traveled to Providence, RI on business and gotten in touch with one of our old group and asked if anyone could meet for dinner.  When we saw them, I almost fell over because, honestly, they looked exactly the same and it had been 19 years since we'd seen them.  They were always the glamorous cool kids in our group - and they still would be if they were here. Our time together was fabulous but, of course, way too short.

So good to reconnect - a toast to friendship!


By the time I got home Thursday evening it was 10:30 and by the time I got to bed and asleep, I'm sure it was after 11 which is an all out party for me as I'm usually in bed no later than 9:00.  I slept straight through until 4:15 and then woke up because nature was calling.  I find it interesting that my body wanted to get to the bathroom at it's usual time.  I got back into the bed and managed to go back to sleep and slept until 8 am!  Truly I can't remember the last time I did that.

Once I was awake, I went out for a run then came home and started on my chores as I'd decided that I wanted to get all my Saturday chores done on Friday if it was possible.  In the midst of scrubbing down my kitchen my doorbell rang and I mumbled as I went to answer that it had better not be some dumb religious person interrupting me because I had things to do and places to go!  As I opened the door, I got the shock of my life as there stood another long-time friend who I haven't seen in 10 years!  He was in town visiting his mother, who is 95 and in a nursing home now and someone had pointed out where we lived.  As he came by he noticed the car and decided to stop.  It was so great to see him and catch up a bit in real life (we're Facebook friends).  Well worth the hour out of my day.  And, as it turned out, I still managed to get everything done that I wanted to by the end of the day.

Saturday, I slept in until 6:30 (I know!), sat around and drank coffee and read the newspaper until 8:00 then took off for a run.  I decided to do the hilly route that I'd done a couple weeks previous as I wanted to run at least 5 miles.  It was beautiful and sunny and felt like one of those runs where I could go on forever.  When I got back home I'd actually run 5.6 miles and you can only imagine my delight and SHOCK when I looked at my splits.  My last two miles were paced at 10:03 and 9:41.  Can't remember the last time I saw a 9 something pace.

Once I got home and showered I made pancakes for breakfast and that's a recipe I'll be sharing later this week - they were so good!  Then I realized I'd forgotten to weigh myself so I hopped on the scale (after eating - I know!) and saw that I had lost 1.6 pounds.  While I was happy to see a loss, it's weight I've lost before so no big celebration forthcoming until I get beyond this plateau.

I planned to use Saturday to pull out my clothes for our upcoming trip.  I'll be wearing summer clothes of course and since I'm not wearing them now, I wasn't really sure what would fit and what wouldn't.  I had the whole day if I needed to thoroughly go through my wardrobe and bathing suits and lay things out.

Mr. Helen was out in the garage doing one of his marathon workout sessions so I figured I'd shower and it would be the perfect time for me to do this.  I had thought I'd be excited, but I was almost dreading it since I haven't made it weight-wise where I thought I'd be. Still, it had to happen and I couldn't see where I'd get a block of free time with no pressure like this again prior to the trip, so it was time to suck it up, dive in, and face the music about my clothes.

What happened next, blew me away...

13 comments:

  1. I bet you fit in just fine - you teaser. The scale blows, doesn't it? Even though your scale weight is plateauing - the rest of your body is moving forward with shrinking and faster running times. Maybe not really a plateau after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay now how long are you going to let me wait about the rest of this story? I bet you have to do some last minute shopping.

    What a fantastic weekend you had Helen: friends, good food and lots of free time: love it!

    I was wondering a few weeks ago what time you went to bed at night since you get up so early and now I know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm betting that none of your old summer clothes fit, because 20 pounds = 4 dress sizes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see a non-scale victory coming soon! Can't wait to hear what it is. Thanks for your well wishes for my brother - I just wish I lived closer to him! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah!! I love your cliff-hangers :-) And I have to agree with everyone else that it's not about the number on the scale...our bodies do indeed change for the better, sometimes drastically, even when the scale has stayed the same!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heeeeeeeeeeeeee...this is when I especially like being your BIF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice to reconnect with old friends--but I'm waiting, Helen. Don't make us wait too long!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thinking a BIG NSV will be revealed soon!!!!!! FUN!!!! (and how fun that you had a weekend of reconnections!) Have a great Monday Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. GAH! TBC?! The suspense is killing me!

    xo,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cliff hanger Helen! Nice to get together with old friends and catch up.

    ReplyDelete