Thursday, April 5, 2012

Not Backing Down

Don't have much to say this week.  I've just been dealing with my feelings about this dumb plateau I'm experiencing right now.  I've buckled down pretty hard on food intake so it will be interesting to see if I can re-lose the weight I last gained.  Then stay buckled down to keep the losing trend going  The other night Mr. Helen was offering me half of a baked potato and when I said I didn't want it as I was on a "vacation mission" his reponse was, "What?  You don't think you look good enough now?  I just don't understand!" All I could think of to say was "I want to look better. For you but more importantly, for me.  And I want to feel good enough that if I do gain a bit while we're on vacation I won't be stressing over it."  He replied, "Ooooookaaaaaay.  I still don't understand."

Sigh. Tired, tired, tired of it all still. But not backing down.

Believe it or not, I didn't do any cooking last weekend. Around the time I started eating Paleo I realized with all the cooking I was doing I was going to have larger portions of leftovers.  Instead of freezing all of a dish, I started breaking things up into individual portions and freezing it that way.  That has worked out really well. Our vacation is coming up soon and when I saw what was in the big freezer, I decided we had enough meals for both of us for a solid week if not longer.  All of our dinners this week have consisted of us each choosing something and heating it up.

Speaking of vacation, it's starting to feel like it's going to be a reality.  I made the reservation for our rental car, which was the last reservation I had to make.  I've been feeling a bit uneasy about it and I realized the other day that the last time we tried to go to St. Martin so we'd be there on our anniversary, our brother-in-law was killled in a terrible accident 3 days before we were to leave.  I think I need to get through this vacation and then the uneasy feeling will go away. It's also hard when one has parents who are aging.  We never book a vacation without trip insurance anymore.

Today is (thankfully) my last day of work this week.  I don't talk about my job much but it's pretty awful.  I honestly don't have enough to do each day but I'm in the precarious position that if I point that out to anyone I risk being laid off.  I don't work for pleasure, I work because we need the income so it's a terrible situation.  While I continue to try to change things, the job market is just whack right now.

I'm really looking forward to the three-day weekend, for more reasons than just not having enough to do at work.  I love having the extra day so that I can actually spend one day just doing nothing if that's what I choose... although probably not this weekend as there will be a family dinner on Easter Sunday.  If Mr. Helen doesn't have to work we'll end up at both families at some point so Sunday will be hectic.

So, this is it for me this week.  Taking a computer break and going to enjoy my extra time off!

15 comments:

  1. I totally understand the vacation cushion. We ladies just should never try to explain to men anything about weight. Although on second thought - maybe we should all view weight like men do. Might make life a little easier.

    Big hugs on getting through the plateau. Grinding it out just sucks, but really - what is the alternative?

    Enjoy your extra time off!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a nice quiet day all to yourself on Friday - that will make the hecticness of Sunday more enjoyable, hopefully.

    And it's dang hard to keep doing the right thing with eating when you don't see much of a result...but the alternative - throwing a hissy fit and eating whatever you want usually doesn't produce good results, either (ahem, I might have a bit of experience with that method, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the same boat with work. My husband says I have it made & I do...BUT Give me something to do!!!! I've learned to do my work very slowly. I do love my job: I have the flexibility I need w/children at home, it's a very relaxed atmosphere, pay is great...If I can help it, I'm not going anywhere - I just need a bit more to do. Needless to say I do quite a bit rearranging and file cleaning!

    There's a woman who may be going into retirement next year (if not next year, then the year after). Fingers are crossed it's next year then I can take over her responsibilities.

    You are going to have a really wonderful time with your husband while on vacation - he is a keeper :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband is the same way - he thinks I look just as good as I did when I met him when I weighed 137 and in my mind I am like "how could you? Do you see this tummy?" He's always told me that I am losing weight for me, not him. :D

    I have a three day weekend too, but it will be Bizzy in my Kitchen, which you know I love. I am starting to cook for my SIL again for her lunches, I am hosting Easter and its my bosses birthday on Monday. Whew!

    Enjoy your computer break and Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you have an extra day off! Enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your break and Happy Easter to you and Mr Helen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy computer break! Enjoy your long weekend and kick back! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending a BIG hug your way Helen. Have a wonderful long weekend!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you have a nice break. We'll be here when you get back. It's so hard when others in our life don't get why we're losing weight or think we don't need to lose more. Our goal is our goal and honestly, the goal is for ourselves. Don't worry too much about what anyone else thinks and of course it's nice to have a husband who thinks you look great already :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you have a good break! I totally understand that uneasy feeling, I get that a lot. And getting through it does help. I hope you can relax and have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your 3 day weekend Helen. Mine starts this afternoon, we are having the Monday off.

    We have a permanent travel insurance, it doesn't cost that much and this way we are always insured. Especially on the short trips R. takes to Italy, those are the ones one usually forgets to take insurance for.

    I hear you on the job. I love my job but R. doesn't and it's hard to go to work everyday when you don't love it. I keep my fingers crossed you will find something you like soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mr. Helen is a sweetheart, and it is really so nice that he likes the way you look--so much better than the other way around. However, you are still entitled to your opinions regarding weight--that's a woman's perogative!

    I also understand that uneasy feeling you write about, especially before going on vacation. I think it will disappear as soon as you arrive at your destination. Enjoy your long weekend. Holiday weekends can be challenging, but an extra day off should help!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in the same boat, job-wise, and it's a terrible feeling! I hope that your vacation is restful and relaxing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy your time off!!

    Keep focused!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Plateau's are always hard- keep at it and you will come out stronger on the other side!

    I am a Master’s Student in Nutrition, avid runner, and health enthusiast, and I absolutely love your blog- you provide great insight and inspiration for anyone who has ever had a goal to be healthier and happier in their own lives. I’d love your insight on my own blog- if interested, feel free to visit me over at Lucky #13(.1)! Keep doing what you do, you’re fantastic! http://luckythirteenone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete