Thursday, April 26, 2012

Refrigerator Clean Out



Whenever we are going to be gone for more than 5 days or so, I stop cooking and do a refrigerator clean out.  I have to say, cleaning the refrigerator is one of my least favorite household chores so most of the time I try to wipe it down as we go along, but every now and then it needs a good cleaning.  As of today it's pretty empty so that will make this disagreeable chore easier, even though I will also use this opportunity to go through all the condiments and miscellaneous jars of stuff that somehow get pushed to the back and die there.  In the end I'll be glad I spent the time to do this as it's nice to come home, open it up, and see it sparkling and ready to fill again.

The house is being swiffered and dusted one last time so it will also be sparkling upon return.  The mail and newspaper are stopped and I've given the key to the house sitter.  I've assigned Mr. Helen the vacuuming and general cleaning of the car interior.

Before the end of the day all this will be in the suitcases.  I've checked and double checked to make sure we aren't forgetting anything important (errrr yes, this is just 'my' stuff...) but I'm sure I'll forget something as I seem to do that every time.  Hopefully it's not contact solution like it was last year.  While contact solution is available in the pharmacy, it's an imported item so it's pricier, not the mention the Euro to Dollar exchange.  I think I paid $25 for a small bottle of it.  That was $25 I would have rather spent on a souvenir!


Got some highlights put into my hair.  Mr. Helen says he can't tell the difference.  Does this mean he doesn't look at me directly, or am I just a blonde blur to him?


Later on today I'm getting a manicure and pedicure. Traditionally that has always signaled the beginning for me, so I guess that makes it official.  (Why YES, you do have to wait until I get back to find out which pink shoes I bought!)


11 comments:

  1. I like to clean my house before we go on vacations too - why, I don't know, as my darling animals just mess it up...but you'll have a nice clean place to come home to and that'll feel like another vacation!

    So I hope you have a wonderful time, enjoying the beach, the food, the company and the fact that you reached your vacation goal and can wear the clothes you wanted to, including that bikini - woot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never clean the house extra when I go on vacation, just the usual stuff. I deep clean the fridge every 8 weeks but I do make sure it's almost empty when we leave.

    How long will you be gone (missed that) because I don't know if I can wait that long to find out about the shoes :)

    I wish you and Mr. Helen a wonderful holiday. Have lots of fun, sunshine, enjoy each other and enjoy good food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo, you are ready to go! I love coming home to a clean house after vacation too.
    Have a great trip, Blondie. I can see the highlights. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun, fun , fun! I am excited for your trip, too :D

    Have a wonderful time strutting your stuff on the beach!

    I like to come home to a clean house, too. It just feels that much better when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always clean everything well before we leave, because for me, there's something depressing about coming home from a relaxing vacation and having to clean a "not so clean house." It's extra work prior to the trip, but it always pays off!

    Your picture is great--you look great--HAVE A WONDERFUL HOLIDAY IN THE SUN!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have fun Helen! Relax, enjoy and forget about anything other than your time together.
    BTW - you are lookin hot in that picture - love the hair highlights. Men sometimes just don't see the detail. Ron was the same when I got mine done a month or so ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited for you!!! ENJOY! Can't wait to hear all about it and see pics!

    I actually like cleaning out the fridge, but I have to be in the mood for it, which usually happens about once a month :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great time on vacay! Great picture of you....

    And I'm one that doesn't mind cleaning out the fridge - although these days, it doesn't have much more than condiments and Diet Coke in it!

    And I LOVE coming home to a clean house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your hair!! I am still sticking with the pink wedges. Have a wonderful time!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hair looks fabulous! Enjoy your vay-cay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO EXCITED for you.
    and wondering what your shoe size is and if you will give away the pink to a loyal reader upon return.

    :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete