Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Posh

When we arrived at our resort in St. Martin, for only the second time since we've been going there, we did not know what to expect.  You see, I booked the airline tickets and Mr. Helen was supposed to book the room.  He waited too long and the room type we normally get was sold out.  I was so distraught that instead of trying to resolve it online, he actually called the resort.  They told us the best they could do was "Garden View" one bedroom, which would be the same price as the water view loft we had wanted.  I was still a bit upset but the resort is not that big so all I could do was hope we could see some water maybe.  Don't get me wrong, the gardens are beautiful - gorgeous actually, but there's nothing like seeing Grand Case Bay wake up and watching the water turn that astounding Caribbean blue.

When we went to reception the guest services representative looked one more time to see if we could get the water view that we wanted but they were all booked up.  She looked right at me and said, "You are going to love this room and there is a bit of a water view.  If you hate it, I promise we'll move you as soon as we can."  So that was that and off we went.

Little did we know there had been some behind the scenes finangaling and our room had been upgraded!  We were completely and joyously astonished when we entered.  Normally the one bedrooms are all on one level with just a curtain to pull to create the bedroom.  We had been upgraded to a room with the bedroom on a separate level with it's own master bath and a balcony.  The lower level had the living area, kitchen and another full bathroom.  These rooms were as large as the rooms in my home!


This is the largest and nicest kitchenette I've seen in any of the units we've stayed in.  Those are granite countertops!



In addition, my family had completely surprised us and arranged for this to be in our room when we arrived!


Mr. Helen doesn't normally even drink champagne but he was so excited he decided to have a glass as well.  The very last time he drank champagne was our 10th anniversary in St. Martin, so how appropriate to have a glass in celebration of our 20th!

Here is a view of our balconies from the outside.  The top one, which was off the bedroom provided us a bit of a water view.  I've also included a photo of the gardens immediately below... and Shelley - look what our building was named.  I think it was meant to be.






In the end, we loved this accommodation with all of its space. We both felt special and pampered and decided if we were staying longer than a week, or couldn't get the loft, or maybe even if Little Helen wanted to come spend a few days with us, we would definitely request this particular unit again. Posh, I'm telling you - and appropriate for our celebratory trip!

15 comments:

  1. Totally appropriate for such a special occasion.

    What a beautiful, beautiful room, not to mention the island, it's so pretty there. I totally see why you keep coming back there.

    So sweet of little Helen and your family to upgrade the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it was my family that upgraded the room - I think when the family made arrangements for the champagne and snacks, the resort had to write the card out and figured out why we were wanting a certain type of room and then the resort upgraded us. It doesn't really matter how it happened though, we were the ones who benefited! :D

      Delete
  2. How wonderful! It truly is posh and beautiful - what a lovely way for two lovely people to spend this special anniversary. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is exactly the kind of room I like to stay in when I travel--I mean with the kitchen and all. That was really nice of your family to have that there to welcome you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With that name, it was meant to be! What a lovely suite - I'm so glad the resort upgraded you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - that is a gorgeous room! Whenever Tony and I travel I almost always tell the hotel clerk that it's our anniversary (even if it isn't!) and see if we can get a free upgrade - 9/10 times it works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get such a feeling of contentment from this post and the photos...I imagine that you were a million times more contented. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't want to vacation there - I want to live there!! What a wonderful suite and kudos to the staff for working on this for you behind the scenes. That speaks volumes about customer service.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful room and view Helen. What a nice gift from your family too - how sweet was that?

    No wonder you keep going back there. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks beautiful, Helen. I'm so glad you and Mr. Helen got to take this trip--looks like a pardise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love ve love this for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL my iPad is rebelling on me :-) you'll have that...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cannot pass up an ocean view. That room is really beautiful. Congrats! You guys really seem to be doing this marriage thing in a loving supportive way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, very posh. You two know how to do a vacation right!

    ReplyDelete