Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Still Traveling

Day 2 of the visit started with a tour to a little known monument that Little Helen had arranged.  We went to Lincoln's Cottage, which has only been open since 2008. It's a little bit out of the way so not a lot of tourists even know about it but I can vouch that it's well worth the trip! We even had a private tour inside the cottage.

Lincoln's Cottage is the Civil War equivalent of a Summer White House and was where President Lincoln drafted and worked on the Emancipation Proclamation.  The family had suffered the death of their eleven year old son Willie and his wife desperately wanted to take their other two sons out of Washington, DC and away from the White House so that they could have quiet time to grieve.  Though it is only 3 miles away, back then that was a horse and carriage ride and of course things were not developed so it was through the woods.  In other words far enough away for them to have the time away that they needed.  Evidently back in those days, citizens could just walk up to the White House and ask to see the President.  Can you even imagine that now?

The cottage is located on the grounds of what is now known as Armed Forces Retirement Home but used to known as the Old Soldier's Home, which was established in 1851.  The campus and grounds are still active and are home to several hundred retired veterans.  No photos were allowed inside so exterior shots it is. Once again, do click on the pics to make them larger - and the links so you can read more in depth about our wonderful country's history!




 This statue of Lincoln is life-size.  He was 6'4" or 7 feet when he was wearing his hat.




We had gotten a late start so after leaving the cottage we went to eat at a BBQ place called Hill Country. There are only two of these in the USA:  one in New York City and one in Washington, DC. [Texas style BBQ in honor of all my TX bloggy peeps.) Oh my goodness, the BBQ was the bomb!  They sell the items by the pound so we were able to buy 1 rib, a few slices of brisket, 1 sausage, etc.  Once again we shared everything. We were absolutely delighted with the almost gallon-sized mason jars of iced tea LOL!  We were hot and thirsty after our tour.


Then it was time to go have the first meetup with my Sparkpeople friends so we hurried back to Little Helen's apartment to get cleaned up and go off to Happy Hour! We met at Oya which is known for it's happy hour sushi rolls.  At first I was skeptical but they actually do sushi rolls that have no fish and no seaweed.  They were actually delicious.  But more than that I got to meet up with two of my Sparkpeople friends who I haven't seen in 4 years.



It's been so long since we've seen each other the woman closest to the camera in this shot has had two kids and is expecting her third since we last saw each other.  Yes, she's had them close together but still, it's like her whole life has changed.

We have a tradition that we take a "loser" shot and it gets sent to anyone in the group who didn't make it to the reunion.

It was a great reunion and we were having so much fun that I forgot to take a photo of the sushi rolls.  What a great way to end my second day in DC!

13 comments:

  1. It sure was another great day Helen. The Lincoln cottage sounds as a very interesting place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm green with envy. I've never been to the DC area and after seeing your travels, I NEED to go. It looks so interesting - plus spending time with the lovely Little Helen. Hard to beat that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to go Roxie! And you need to plan several days of non-stop sightseeing. There are so many free attractions there it's almost difficult to choose what you'll do. I think every citizen should try to get to our nation's capital once in their lifetime.

      Delete
  3. The Lincoln Cottage is very interesting. I will have to add it to the places to visit in DC.
    Oh, yes! You got some Texas sized iced tea!

    xo,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered about the Lincoln cottage when you posted a picture on FB - I hadn't heard of it when we visited DC, but that was back in the 90s, so I guess it wasn't even a blip on the tourist map. Very cool.
    Love the life-sized statue of Lincoln...I would come up to his waist, lol!

    Great pictures, and yum on the BBQ. Come out here and you can have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that statue of Lincoln, and the whole idea of a summer white house. Thanks for the history.

    Plus, how fun to meet up with online friends. You are having such full days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I saw that loser shot on FB last week - I actually thought you were all giving the finger at first glance LOL!

    Love historical trips. The east coast is so full of history.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, good BBQ is something to behold - Little Helen is so beautiful! (you already know I think you are beautiful!).

    Love the recap Helen. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much fun!!!! Glad you're having a great time. Mmmm....you have me wanting bbq.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like a lot of girl fun Helen! Enoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What another fun post Helen. Three things jumped out at me while I read it...1) you look fantastic 2) Abraham Lincoln was 6'4"?? Holy Giant! and 3) I would be so peeing for HOURS if I drank that giant iced tea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roz, that iced tea never even reached my bladder lol! I think I was so dehydrated that it absorbed on the way down ;)

      Delete
  11. LOVE THESE POSTS.
    and adore how you make time for newoldfriends during your travels.

    ReplyDelete