Thursday, June 7, 2012

Back in the Kitchen

Last Saturday it rained and was supposed to be nice on Sunday so I did my weekly food prep as it poured.  In working towards my June goal of losing 6 lbs. the only way I know to do that is to set myself up for success by having lots of food ready so that I have no excuse to grab a handful of chips rather than some fruit.

After 'vacating' my usual dedication to my diet (or as Kristen calls it "Food-Style") for most of the month of May, I knew it was time to get myself back on track, for real.  I think the semi-break I took was good because I did make some decisions about my diet and how I'm going to eat.  All the time I've been doing Paleo, I have consistently missed some dairy products and beans.  I'm not much of a milk drinker but I do like to use milk in recipes.  But cheese?  That I love and I have really missed it.  I also have missed beans - especially in the form of hummus and the occasional bean I might put in a salad.  Oh, and quinoa which I have come to love.  And so, I have decided to call my diet approach Lacto-Ovo-Beano Paleo.  Which, when I think about it, is sort of a low glycemic approach to eating.

One of the things I made on Saturday was another version of a crustless quiche.  This one may be my favorite version yet - maybe because of the cheese. I've been having a piece of it for breakfast and that has been a nice change from getting up and making eggs every day, which are still my breakfast of choice.

This version comes together very quickly because there's not a lot of pre-prep.  I will say, next time I make it, I'm adding some onion - I think that would make it perfect!


Spinach, Mushroom, and Feta Crustless Quiche


10 oz. box frozen spinach,  defrosted and drained
2 cups sliced mushrooms (I used Baby Bella because they are firm and hearty)
1 clove Garlic, minced
1/4 cup reduced fat crumbled feta
2 Eggs
3/4 cup Egg Beaters
1 cup 1% milk
2 T Parmesan Cheese, Freshly Grated
1/4 cup part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
Salt and Pepper, to taste


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. If your frozen spinach is not already thawed, thaw it in the microwave according to package instructions. Empty the box into a colander and let it drain while you begin to prepare the rest.

Place the sliced mushrooms in a skillet coated with non-stick spray. Add the minced garlic and a little salt and pepper. Turn the heat on to medium-high and saute the mushrooms until they release all of their moisture and no more water remains on the bottom of the skillet.

Spray a pie dish with non-stick spray. Squeeze the rest of the water out of the spinach and spread it out on the bottom of the pie dish. Next add the cooked mushrooms and crumbled feta.

In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs until fairly smooth. Add the milk, parmesan and another small sprinkle of pepper. Whisk to combine. Pour this mixture into the pie dish over the spinach, mushrooms and feta.

Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over the top. Place the pie dish on a baking sheet for easy transfer into the oven. Place the quiche into the preheated oven and bake until it is golden brown on top and the center is solid. This will take between 45 minutes and an hour.

This will make 4-6 servings depending on how hungry you are and if you're serving anything else with it.  The whole quiche only has 632 calories, 25g fat, 32g carbs, 8.5g fiber and 69g protein.  I've been having 1/4 of it for breakfast because that's all I'm eating.  That serving amounts to 158 calories, 6.2g fat, 8g carbs, 2.1g fiber and 17.2g protein.  

Delicious!




9 comments:

  1. Yum! I used to make a spinach quiche - the feta sounds like a nice update. And I agree...onions would make it even better!

    Love your new diet name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds GOOD! I forgot to mention that I made your cauliflower/ham au gratin recipe and it was delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that looks great! I even have some Trader Joes light feta to use up. Making that this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have a skillet that can go into the oven, you could make this as a frittata and save the extra dish. That's how lazy I am!! Also, I've been using fresh baby spinach and putting it right in with the vegetables - again - I swear it's less work than frozen!! Looks great - I made something very similar this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep - I could never, ever give up dairy! I love milk and cheese and would so utterly crabby that it wouldn't be worth it even if I wore a size 0 LOL! You gotta make it work for you so you want to do it forever.

    I love frittatas or quiches. Easy and they are nice enough for company!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so yummy! I'd like some for a mini-meal this very afternoon.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks yummy. I'll be right down for leftovers!!! :) have a wonderful day Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so impressed that you do "food prep" for the upcoming week. What a smart and organized person you are, Helen, and I know it serves you well. I love the name of your plan: Lacto-Ovo-Beano Paleo. It sounds perfect for you, and I think I'd like it too! Your quiche looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's the best way to adjust your way of eating the way you like it. If you miss beans and cheese: add it, which you did. In my opinion the only way to success is eat things you like otherwise at one point we will fail.

    The quiche looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete