Friday, June 15, 2012

Dribs and Drabs

Guess what?  Other than my aches and pains, the crappy weather - which is much better today and forecast to be good for the weekend though still unseasonably cool, and my boring job that still gives me a paycheck so I need to shut up, I've had a pretty good week.

Again, I feel so. much. better. when I actually stick to my planned eating.  This also means I am actually looking forward to stepping on the scale tomorrow and I can honestly say I'm ready to see anything it offers up. Well, maybe not a 22.4 pound gain, but pretty much anything else.  Hopefully no one else has stepped on it since I reset it ;)

The other day I started craving a chocolate milkshake.  Bad.  Like really, really craving it to the point where I just made up my mind I was going to drive to McDonald's and get one.  Very odd for me as I generally just don't drink calories:  I take my coffee black, my tea unsweetened or with a tiny bit of Splenda, I mostly drink water, etc.  I had to get gas in the car so I had to go out at lunch.  Danger Will Robinson!  Off I went to get the gas and decided to go into the grocery store right by the gas station to grab bananas and garlic and lettuce.  When I got done, I was going to McDonald's for sure. As I started to leave I realized this store has a Starbucks in it.  Don't buy much coffee or anything like that either but I walked over and looked at the menu and they had a Light Mocha Frappucino.  I decided it probably had less calories than a milkshake so I bought the small one with no whipped cream (or Tall  Frap, No Whip as they insisted on calling it).  It was so yummy  and completely satisfied the craving.  Got back to the office to look up nutrition:  580 calories for a small chocolate milkshake,  110 for my small frap, no whip - SCORE!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of my coworkers has a few chickens and gets so many eggs that he brings them in to give away.  I was the lucky recipient of the last carton.  Should  have taken a photo of the whole carton because he has three different types of chickens and the eggs are three different colors.  I did take a photo of this one because A. the shell is green!  and Z. it was huge!

I used it to make this breakfast pizza: Approximately an ounce (maybe two?) of my homemade pizza dough, 1 T homemade sundried tomato pesto, 1 oz. part skim mozzarella, 2 slices nitrate free uncured Applewood smoked bacon crumbled up and of course, Mr. Green up there.  Goodness this was just a spectacular breakfast.  More than I'd normally eat but I had it Wednesday morning by which time I'd done 10 miles of running and 2 Muay Thai classes in 48 hours.  I feel so much better if I have a bigger breakfast on Wednesdays :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A couple shots of the patio prior to the picnic for Little Helen started.  The organized planning neatnik in me likes how put together and peaceful it all looks:


Ooooh and I love those food tent thingys on the table up there.  They keep all the bugs away from the food. I got them for just a dollar and they actually fold down like an umbrella for storage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had an initial consultation with the new doctor I am seeing about my aches and pains. He is a certified naturopath, certified in Kinesiology, certified in Sports Medicine Therapies, AND a Chiropractor! I really like what he offers:  Integrative Medicine.  This means he goes through a biomechanical, chiropractic, neuromusculoskeletal and kinesiologic examiniation to find why the pain is there in the first place.  As he said to me, all the various issues are probably connected and will trace back to one area of my body that was injured or inflammed and then caused me to change how I walk, run, sit, exercise, etc.  Those changes in turn caused other things to flare up and now I'm just a mess. 

Once he determines the source he will come up with a comprehensive treatment plan that emphasis natural management of inflammation (no Motrin!), restoring function, balancing muscles and whatever is necessary to heal and prevent further chronic pain. I was impressed and decided to go ahead and make an appointment for a complete evaluation which I will be going to this afternoon.  To say I'm looking forward to it would be an understatement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last song on my iPod during my run this morning - appropriate for me I think.  Have a great weekend!

20 comments:

  1. That's good to know about the calories on that frappucino. I go to Starbuck's but I tend to not even look at those things because I think they're so high in calories. That will be a nice treat once in a while. Hard for me to say ' no whip,' though...

    That doctor sounds fantastic. I will be very interested to hear what he has to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a frappucino before, but I think I may have to try one. It might help with my chocolate cravings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually satisfy my chocolate cravings with, well, chocolate. Just a little bit - like one or two Dove Promises. I just savor them slowly.

      Delete
  3. Love the title of this post-sums up how I've been lately! And I love your background! Calgon, take me away!
    Good news about the frap. Those things are usually loaded with calories! FYI-at McDonalds you can get an iced coffee with sugar free vanilla for about 100 calories. Less if they have low fat or fat free half and half.
    How neat you get those farm eggs!
    Good luck with your Dr appt. Hopefully you'll be on the mend soon!

    Have a great weekend!
    xo,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See Linda, I'm weird like Shelley. Not with eggs but with my coffee. Never have liked iced coffee because it has milk in it. I do love the McDonald's coffee in New England though - it's Newman's Own Organic. In fact, it's my favorite coffee to buy when I occasionally buy coffee.

      Delete
  4. Oooh, I'm at the beach with your new background! :) Nice.

    I allow myself one mocha coconut frap (with whip, chocolate drizzle and toasted coconut on top) for my birthday - DAMN, Starbucks can make a good drink. But that's a once-a-year-drink for me, because I know all of that has got to be a calorie bomb. Your small (tall! haha) light frap is a great craving-save; glad you discovered that!

    Food tents - how fun! I'm just impressed that there are no leaves on your patio...even when we clean ours, there are leaves back on it within the hour. Trees! ::shakes fist:: (j/k)

    I am weird. Fresh eggs? Couldn't do it. Same for a duck egg, or whatever. If it's not cold from a carton in my grocery store, it just skeeves me out. I know! Toldja I was weird.

    Hope your doctor visit today is very productive and you get some relief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK weirdo. All eggs come from a farm. The ones you get directly from an organic farm are so much better for you than what you might possibly get in a grocery store! I guess when you come visit I just won't tell you the status of the eggs currently in the fridge :)

      Delete
    2. Please don't - I'm better off not knowing!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful background pic! I'll keep my fingers crossed that your dr appointment is very helpful. I firmly believe in integrated medicine - that everything is pretty much connected and treating the "whole" is much more productive than treating this or that or the other.

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I occasionally have that chocolate milkshake urge too. I rarely go to Starbucks because I think their coffee is way too strong. I got a plain turkey sandwich at one in the Dallas airport and it was so dry and awful that I ate the turkey out of the middle and threw it away. Even so, that drink looks and sounds very tasty.

    I love eggs. I eat egg salad for lunch at least once a week and always have boiled eggs for snacking. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caron I totally agree about Starbuck coffee - it tastes burned to me. Because that drink is made with skim milk and a mixture of coffee and chocolate, it did not taste burned! It was delicious!

      Delete
  7. I never thought of that as a milkshake replacement. What a great idea!! I hope you find some relief for your aches and pains. Sounds like you found a great doctor though!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love, love the new layout Helen!! Maybe when you have shitty weather you can just look at this!

    So glad you'll be finding some help for your aches and pains - I am sure it will go well.

    Okay, this is probably going to kill you, but I've never heard that song before. I am 44, my husband is 52 and there are songs that are on his play list and I'll say "I've never heard that before!" Drives him batty!

    Happy Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evidently you weren't much of a dancer because no matter your age, that was a big hit in nightclubs in the early 80's! Still, it always amazes me how much of a musical generation gap there can be in just a few years. Tony and I are the same age so I'm SURE he's heard this song.

      Delete
  9. John loves the light fraps at Starbucks. He says nobody else makes an icy drink like theirs. I don't actually care for them that much because I am such a straight up latte girl LOL! I did used to get the caramel machiatto there all.the.time when I was heavier. Usually with one of those 400 calorie treats, too.

    Your patio looks so relaxing and refreshing. Do you have a yard as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have two teeny, tiny strips of land, one in the front of the house and one along the side. The whole property is only 1/10th of an acre so not much land anyway. The back yard was dug up and turned into a patio by the owners prior to us (who we think bought the house to flip it). I know a family with children might not like it be we love it. Just enough grass for Mr. Helen to mess with and it's almost like having the convenience of a condo but having our privacy too.

      Delete
  10. I love the starbucks lite no-whip fraps! My favorite is caramel.

    Good luck with your evaluation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That egg is beautiful! I am so happy to hear that you are getting treatment and I can't wait to find out more. Wishing you well as you move forward with your treatment Helen.

    Love the patio - it does look peaceful. Gonna have to find me some of those food tents.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah for not giving in to the milkshake!! I love when I avoid those things and make a better choice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh.
    I do love my eggbeaters :) BUT I COVET THAT EGG.

    ReplyDelete