Monday, June 11, 2012

Six Pounds In June: Week 1 Check-In

As I mentioned last week, I am anxious to get the weight loss portion of my personal journey to my dream size out of the way and thus decided to set a mini-goal of losing six pounds in June.  I think that's reasonable although depending on how my thyroid is functioning I could possibly not make it.  But, thyroid or no, I think it's a good goal to shoot for.

My week of eating went really well despite the fact that I wanted to eat all the time.  What was interesting about this is that on the third day, I realized I wasn't hungry but that I was wanting to eat to alleviate the chronic and nagging aches and pains I'm having right now.  It was as if my brain was screaming for relief and of course it's been proven that when we eat certain foods, it releases endorphins in our brain which make us feel momentary relief.  I'm sure that feeling of wanting relief was exacerbated by the fact that although I am exercising I just can not exercise as intensely as I'm used to, therefore no runner's highs for me right now.

Overall I guess I'd give myself a B for behaving (for the most part).  In any case I felt confident that when I stepped on my Zero Scale there would be some downward movement.  Back to that in a minute.

Late Thursday night, Little Helen came into town to spend a couple days.  She had been at a conference in New York City all week and since that's only 2 hours from home thought that she'd make a mid-year appearance.  Once we were positive that she was coming in, we put together an impromptu picnic for family members so that everyone who was available could stop by to see her.

One of my sister-in-laws knew she couldn't be there on Saturday so she stopped by on Friday night and after weeks of rain, we got a patio night! - made extra special by the fact that Mr. Helen grilled filet mignon and lobster tails for us!



At one point SIL excused herself and when she came back she said, "Something is wrong with your scale, it says I weigh 200-something!"  (There is no way.)  Mr. Helen piped in and said, "Yeah I noticed the other day that it was acting funky, I think it needs new batteries."   (We have separate scales.) I asked her why she even weighed herself and she said she's been dieting but doesn't have a scale.  I offered to go back in and show her how to get her weight on the Zero Scale but she declined.

We had a wonderful evening - so much fun that before we knew it, it was 11:00 p.m.!  We hustled off to bed because Saturday was picnic day and we had lots of prep to do. 

As it turned out staying up until almost midnight meant I slept until 7 am, so I had a quick cup of coffee then hustled out to try to do a 5 mile run.  I say 'try' because I was a hurting puppy when I got up and I wasn't sure my left side would let me run.  Happily I managed to get one in, though I paid for it afterwards, all day long. (Doctor's appointment scheduled for Wednesday and it can't come soon enough!)

Got home and hurried to get my food prep done for the picnic and at least sweep the kitchen floor and wipe down the bathrooms.  As I got ready to get in the shower, I realized I had never weighed myself so I ran back downstairs to the Zero Scale.  Here's a secret:  I don't even wear my glasses (they might weigh 6 oz.!) so everything looks fuzzy to me.  If I want a photo, I get the camera all zoomed prior to stepping on so that I can just point and shoot - which I did.  As I looked down, I thought, "Huh, that looks like a gain.  Oh no.  How could that be?  And it looks double digits?  WHAT IS HAPPENING?"

Ran upstairs, grabbed my glasses to look at the photo and this is what I saw:


At first I was in such SHOCK at gaining 24.4 pounds in a week, that I didn't notice, it wasn't a week.  As I continued to stare at the photo and try to process what the hell was going on, I saw the "0" as in 0 days.  And that's when I realized that my SIL had stepped on the Zero Scale (not Mr. Helen's scale) and that she thought it was saying she weighed 244 pounds, and that in reality she had weighed herself from 'my' previous zero so I weigh 24.4 pounds more than she does.  GAH!

Long story short?  I have no idea how my first week of June went in terms of the scale.  I had to reset the scale and start from zero again.  And now you know why when we had the picnic on Saturday, we put the scales away LOL!

Onward.

18 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had some more time with Little Helen. Mother/daughter time is special!

    I hope you get some answers to your pain when you see the Dr. When you're struggling with pain, it makes everything else more difficult--including weight loss. I think your goal for the month is very realistic, and doable! I also had a chuckle about about your SIL's scale incident!
    Have a great week, and good luck with your Dr. visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice you got more little Helen time!
    I can only imagine your shock and horror when you saw that 24 lb gain! Too funny your SIL did not want any help with the scale! Was it maybe because she didn't want you to know how much she weighed? Aren't we all so funny about our weight!
    Please send Mr Helen over at any time to grill for us.
    I hope you can get some relief at the Dr on Wednesday. I'll stay tuned.

    xo,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am impressed that you even attempted to run (and succeeded!) 5 miles when you are having such pain. I hope it at least gave you a dose of endorphins for a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm stubborn Debby... went out again this morning because I'm determined to move a little bit each day, whether I can all out run or not!

      Delete
  4. You know, I'd be kinda mad if someone messed up my scale like that...I know she didn't mean to, but gah!!!

    Glad you had a good weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think part of my confusion with seeing that number was it never occurred to me that someone would step on that scale! Even when she said it, I assumed it was the other scale. I even found that odd - can't imagine stepping on someone else's scale! But you know, with family members, nothing should be a surprise!!

      Delete
  5. I'm with Shelley. I'd be mad like when someone adjusts my chair at the office :) Way to go for working through your pain. It's so hard but taking time off makes it way harder!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the patio lights. It looks like a fun party!

    The scale thing - I don't get stepping on someone else's scale - even if you don't own one. And in the middle of a party? You would have to know it wouldn't be accurate. Did you check your medicine cabinet, too? LOL

    My MaryLou scale actually will not record a weight if it is 10 pounds on either side of the last weigh in in case someone else steps on the scale. It has 2 buttons for 2 different users.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Zero Scale has 5 users: 4 for zero weights and the 5th is for actual weight if you want to see it. The issue is that when you tap it, it goes to the first user (me) so it has to be tapped 2 times for the second user, etc. I think that feature on your scale is a great idea! I'm with you - I'd never step on someone else's scale without asking first!! No need to check the medicine cabinet - the scales are actually in the extra bathroom so nothing in that cabinet lol!

      Delete
  7. Yep - I'm with the angry mob - that would have freaked me out, given my propensity for scale numbers and the power they wield. You have a great attitude about it and I think your 6 pound goal for June is very realistic and achievable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too funny about the scale...Hmmm, I must say that I'm surprised at everyone's reaction to the scale - although now with the programmable scales, I guess it would be an issue.

    You are amazing - unless I thought that run would make me feel better - as in stop the pain - I would have stayed at home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, that is so funny!! I would have been like WTF?! Stats or not, I am sure you'll get your six pounds in June! But now I really want filet mignon and lobster!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoops! Your SIL is BUSTED for stepping on the scale! Gotta take that in your stride, and know when you hop on next week you'll see the arrow pointing downward!!! :) Looks like such a nice gathering, so glad Little Helen stopped by. have a great Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great story, even if it was shocking at the time! I hope you get a nice surprise next week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would put the scales away too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. First how nice that little Helen could come home for a visit! So sorry you are still having pain but I am delighted to know you have a doctors appt. keep us posted.

    Too funny about the scale but so sorry it messed up your first weeks weigh in. I know what a mind game that can be!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you had me at spending time with Little Helen...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful day you had Helen. And to be honest I would be pissed of if my SIL stepped on my scale :)

    I need to lose weight too again for two reasons that I realized during our vacation. I'll get back to them on my blog but can tell you already one of the reasons is because of sad things. But first I'm boring you with our vacation pics :)

    ReplyDelete