Monday, June 18, 2012

Six Pounds in June: Week 2

The weekend started off with the much anticipated visit to the doctor to have my aches and pains evaluated and get a treatment plan going.  After all was said and done, he told me that I do indeed have plantar fasciitis in my left foot, I have an impingement in the bursa in my left shoulder, but the most concerning issues were what was going on in my lower back and left hip flexor.  Those two things are what is causing my entire left leg to be cranky.  Then he said, "No Muay Thai Boxing for at least a week and no running until I say so."

You can only imagine how that went over with me.  The ensuing conversation went something like this:

"As far as the Muay Thai, there is absolutely no way I am not boxing.  My husband took his first degree test with his arm in a sling after rotator cuff surgery.  In other words, we don't let things become obstacles to us.  Besides, there are many people with real disabilities who are worse off than I am right now who take those classes.  I'm boxing.  I'll modify because I don't want to hurt myself, but I'm boxing!"

He didn't look too pleased but I think he knew there was nothing he could say to make me change my mind.  Then I said, "As for the running, I'm willing to let that go for a few days but I'm trying to lose weight and I sit on my butt all day so I need to do something aerobic.  Can I walk instead of run?"  He replied, "Personally, I think you should just control your food intake instead - for example, lower your calories to 1000 per day and you'll lose weight.  But if you insist, yes you may walk. It's the pounding from the running I want you to avoid."

OK, 1000 calories a day?  Obviously said by someone who is an idiot does not do much dieting but I'll just ignore that and do my walking.

Saturday my long run was scheduled to be 6 miles to I decided I'd just go ahead and walk that and I did.  My doctor underestimates my walking ability - truthfully I'm a better walker than runner: 6.5 miles, 1:22:08, average pace 12:38 per mile.  Take that Dr. No Good News!

I asked Mr. Helen what he would like for his Father's Day meal.  Since the kids don't live around here I try to do something special for him.  I was pretty happy when he said he wanted fish - fits right in with my eating plan.  I did make him a special cake because I normally make his birthday cake and didn't this year.  I found the recipe for this cake through Pinterest of course, and it was a huge hit!  The only thing I did differently was to frost it with chocolate frosting instead of the cream cheese frosting the recipe called for.  (If I was making it for me, I would have put the cream cheese frosting on it.)  I had a sliver and let me tell you, this recipe is a keeper, not to mention it's a great way to use up overripe bananas. I made the cake on Saturday so he'd have the whole weekend to enjoy it - plus I got him to take a huge piece of it to his coworkers on Sunday.  




As for my weigh in, I have to admit I was a bit surprised.  I was ready for whatever I saw, but I just didn't 'feel' like I'd lost any weight. 


That is a loss of 2 lbs. You have permission to laugh at my mad photography skillz. Actually, this is a good representation of how the scale sort of looks to me when I don't have my glasses on lol!  However, the poor quality of this photo is due to my camera, obviously, being on the wrong setting. Good grief. I should have used the iPhone.

20 comments:

  1. Wow, that Dr would have made me SO mad with that comment. Are you sure he went to med school? Ha! Glad you got a nice walk in--that's a speedy pace and congrats on the 2lb loss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh because your walking pace is my running pace! Hooray for the -2.0 pounds! Hope you follow in your footsteps this week. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I misread the title of this post and thought you had lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks! (need more coffee, obviously).

    Time to switch doctors. Actually, though, you might be surprised at keeping your calories the same and you might see the scale drop anyway without the big exercise.

    Are you foam rolling and doing IT band stretches? That will help the hip flexors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm not going to switch doctors yet because this is the NEW one. However, I will not hesitate to if he irritates me. Never have had a problem with that. But you know whether it has been a physical therapist, MD, chiropractor, ortho or whatever I don't think I've ever had one say, "Oh yes, just keep exercising." And yes, I've been foam rolling, sticking, stretching like crazy for the last two months and I wasn't getting better which is why I went looking for a specialty doc.

      Delete
  4. Good for you for being assertive with the doctor in an honest way. I think docs are so lawsuit phobic that they tell everyone to stop what they're doing exercise wise so you can't come back and sue them later!

    Congrats on the 2 pounds! And the cake looks amazing - I think I'd be a chocolate frosting gal like your Mr.!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo on the two!!!

    So, I'm going to be contrary and put this out there: if your doctor doesn't want you to feel the pounding from running, are you SURE that your walking pace isn't too fast and therefore still causing your body, which you are trying to heal, some pounding? I just want you to get better, you know that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say no, it's not too fast because I make sure to have one foot on the ground at all times. Didn't feel poundy in any way and in fact, I felt so good I 'wanted' to run, but I didn't. I'm behaving, promise. For now anyway ;)

      Delete
    2. OK. Just want to make sure. Because one of these days, we are both going to be injury-free at the same time and WILL run together! :)

      Delete
  6. Whew, I can't begin to imagine running with plantar fasciitis! Did he give you any therapy or hints for that? I had it years ago (before I would go to the doctor) and I read an article about using braces at night that keep your feet in a flexed position. So I would try to sleep in that position instead of 'ballet' position. I always swore that was what cured me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will treat it but told me to ice it as much as possible so I brought an icepack to work and have been icing it every couple of hours. Honestly it doesn't hurt when I'm running or walking as the tendon is warmed up and stretched. It's afterwards. I had it years ago in my right foot and wore a special boot and all but I never felt that helped. It healed eventually which I think this one will too.

      Delete
  7. Yeah same here...your walking pace is my running pace...on a good day :) Good for you for walking even though you can't run. I was proud of myself for working through my shoulder injury just doing everything that didn't use my shoulder. I hope everything feels better after some "rest". Do take it easy because it really works.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cake looks incredible. LOL You walk as fast as I run. That's funny and slightly depressing. hehe

    congratulations on the weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Helen. LOVE the beautiful background on the blog!!! And love you "pushing back" to the doc. Sometimes, we just know our own bodies best, and know how much we can push. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Helen and I thought I was a fast walker but you have me beat! I hope you get some answers about your pain and injuries. I have the same foot issue in my left foot but shoe inserts have helped me greatly as well as buying a pair of shoes to put them in for wearing in my house as my kitchen is a hard wood floor and it is not good for my bare feet.

    OMG on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the two pounds, Helen! Be sure to take care of yourself, as you continue to exercise. I've had planter fascitis, and it took a year to get rid of. I ended up getting some shoes that worked for me, but it took several pairs before I found them. BTW: The cake looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Plantar faciitis SUCKS. I'm still battling it and it's been over 2 years, and while it's gotten better over time, none of the suggestions I've been told have been miracle cures.

    Congrats on the 2 pounds. And thats what ALL my pictures look like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My foot AND my pictures = SUCKS Ha!!

      Delete
  13. Im with everyone who said the doc, uh, sucketh and do agree it's because they all fear lawsuits now.
    You dont have bad photo skills you have MY PHOTOSKILLS.
    wait.
    does that mean?
    uh.
    nevermind :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ditch the doctor. Can I say that I think you have strange doctors? Which doctor advises a 1000 calorie diet? Every normal person (like you and I) know that's not enough. Shelley's doctor prescribed Ibuprofen which can be addictive, I know from experience.

    Good for you you didn't give in to him and keep moving. Sitting still doesn't cure anything is what I've always learned.

    Congrats on the weight loss, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that you said sitting still doesn't solve anything Fran because this morning while out on my speedwalk I kept thinking about how much better I felt once I was moving. I'm planning on letting the doctor know that tonight!

      Delete