Thursday, June 28, 2012

Ten Things Thursday

10.  I really, really REALLY want to like fruit more than I do.  I used to just love summer fruit but for some reason I'm struggling even with those fruits this year.  I have been making myself eat some but afterwards I always feel so disappointed and like I just wasted calories that I could have "spent" on something else.  It's sort of driving me crazy.

9.  Evidence:  3 apples that have been sitting on my desk for about 3 weeks.  The skin is starting to feel wrinkly...

8.  Chronic pain makes me want to eat.  I know I've mentioned that but it keeps echoing in my brain because I can't seem to get a grip.  Yep, that means I haven't been making very good choices lately and yep, Ima totally deserve whatever the scale says at my end of June weigh-in.  Even though my first weigh in got messed up by the scale debacle, I was still hoping to get close to my goal.  If I don't it's my own damn fault!

7.  When we went out for my sister's birthday last Saturday, I came across the best named menu item I've ever seen.  It was so well named, I ordered it: Big Honkin' Pork Chop! The actual meal was a thick cut pork chop served with sliced tomatoes, corn on the cob, and potato salad.  It was delicious!

6. One of the events we went to last weekend was my company's 40th Anniversary Party. The event was held under the tent at the marina that my boss who passed away used to own.  We had beautiful weather and it was just a very nice event.  The cakes were made to resemble our current ambulance style and a 1938 Packard ambulance that we own.  Our employees restored it some years ago.  If you've seen the movie Seabiscuit, you've seen this ambulance.


5.  Tuesday night I got to do something I hardly ever get to do:  cook dinner!  Normally I'm at a Muay Thai class but since I earned my stripe on Monday, I don't have to go back until my cycle class on Saturday morning.  I decided to do a grill meal and it came out fabulous. Yes, there's only one piece of corn there, Mr. Helen doesn't like grilled corn, only steamed.  Plus I got to use my two favorite grill gadgets: my potato 'baker' and my wok basket.  



4. You know what's one of those moments you never forget?  When a child, without prompting, expresses their feelings for you, like the first time they hug you back.  My nephew Jacob (who is almost 9) is a really good kid but sort of reserved (he's like his daddy that way).  When Mr. Helen had him this week they went to the beach and when they got back he told Mr. Helen that he needed to come say goodbye to me before he went home since he's going on vacation.  He walked into the living room and gave me the hardest hug.  I told him to have a great vacation and that we'd see him in a couple of weeks and he turned and said, "I love you Auntie Helen. Bye!" First time he's ever spontaneously said that.  I'll admit it made me all verklempt.  Sweet music to my ears.


3.  Hang Ten Toes, by China Glaze.  Love how neon the pink is! I did this myself so don't zoom otherwise you'll see the mistakes lol!



2.  We've had spectacular weather the past couple of days: 80s during the day, around 60 overnight.  I wish I could find a place where it was like this year 'round. This has also made it very hard for me not to run, although...


1. I ran slow and steady this morning, with my doc's permission.  When I met up with him last night, I copped to having done some jogging during my 7 miler last week and running on the treadmill (so I'd have a softer surface) yesterday morning.  Since I was no worse for wear - and some things have actually improved (my foot - woot!) he allowed that I could run if I promised to ice, ice, ice every couple of hours all day.  This requires me to haul ice packs to work but I don't care.  The endorphin hit I got makes it all worth it!

16 comments:

  1. Love your grill gadgets! I want to start using our grill more. Sometimes it seems easier to use the George Foreman! I also know what you mean about chronic pain and the increased desire to eat. I went through that for a year last year, and I did gain about 10 pounds after my injury. I think you have a better handle on it that I did. Glad to hear that you were able to run, and I'm also happy that you're doing it with caution and care for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #8 Yep, chronic pain really does suck. And if you're like me and turn to food for comfort, yes it does make you eat more! It's weird, because back in 2009 I didn't realize just how much pain I was in until...I wasn't...as much (and that didn't happen until 2010). I think I will probably always have chronic pain at this point, but it's so much more manageable now

    #4 Awwwww...I am starting to have glimpses of this with my grandson. He's only 15 months old, but I love when he's playing, then turns to me for a cuddle.

    #2 I wish I could find a place like this year 'round too! I'm thinking Hawaii would come close...and think of all that wonderful long daylight!

    #1 Here's to endorphins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got an enjoyable run it!

    I am so the opposite of you with the fruit. John calls me a fruit hoover. If I could just eat fruit and no veggies, I would be a happy camper. Have you tried grilling the fruit? You might really like it then. Stone fruits are good grilled, as well as pineapple. Yum, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori has a good suggestion with grilling the fruit - I think you're just tired of the same old, same old. Btw, what would you "spend" those fruit calories on?

    Happy to hear that the running is sanctioned by your doc AND that you felt so good afterward!

    I need to rent Seabiscuit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You fruit lovers kill me *dead.* I don't have time to grill fruit, except maybe on the weekend and if I grill anything it's gonna be a banana that will then be topped with all the fixings for a banana split! Because, to me, a grilled banana just screams for whipped cream and chocolate sauce.

      Seriously though, I would rather eat a hard boiled egg or a piece of string cheese or another serving of vegetables, or drink a chocolate muscle milk. When I'm eating healthfully. When I'm eating whatever the heck I want, I'd choose a chocolate chip cookie!

      Delete
    2. Well, as long as you're choosing wisely, I don't think it's a big deal to eat, say, a hard boiled egg instead of an apple.

      ::whispers:: although you really should TRY grilling pineapple!

      Delete
  5. I checked out the link you sent me, and found that it was so aligned with my recent thoughts about the diet process and the diet mentality that is so ingrained in our culture. I have been thinking about this for a while now, and in fact, it's why I took a blogging break--or trying to. I keep thinking there has to be a better way. Still thinking here...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your ambulance cakes!

    Shelley hasn't seen Seabiscuit???

    I love fruit too. But I don't eat it nonstop because it doesn't really 'satisfy' me. Like, that was good, now what's to EAT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See Debby, "what's to EAT?" is sort of where I'm at with fruit. It just doesn't make me feel satisfied at all so that's why I end up wishing I'd eaten something else!

      Delete
  7. I love the Ambulance cake! LOL! Looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fruit but I find that when I'm home I forget to eat it. When I'm working it's easier because I bring it as a snack.

    Love your grill gadgets. We just bought a new bbq yesterday and I want to experiment more with cooking on it in the future too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm the same way about fruit. Sometimes I'll eat an apple but after a couple of bites I don't want it anymore. I do like mangoes but since I'm watching carbs that's off the list.
    Those cakes are cute! I'm always amazed at how creative people get with cakes! It takes a lot of time and patience, 2 things I seem to be short on!
    I see there is another master griller at your house! That all looks so good! Of course, I love the grilling gadgets!
    Good news your pain is easing. Hang in there.
    Have a great weekend!

    xo,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. My nephew is 14 and I have only spoken to him on the phone twice in his life! I hope someday I'll get a hug like you got! :D

    Love the toes - so pretty! BBQ accessories are on my list of things to get - you'd think I'd have some already with all the grilling I do!

    Happy Friday! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad to hear someone else say that chronic pain makes you want to eat. As someone who has suffered from chronic headaches for more than 15 years, and more recently, back and leg pain, etc., I have often thought that it contributed to my desire to overeat. You tend to want to comfort yourself when you are in pain and food is a "good" way to do it. And it is really tough on your motivation too.

    Sheryl
    http://500daystowhereiwanttobe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI Helen. I haven't seen Seabiscuit either. LOVE the grill wok, and the color of your toes (and of course, your shoes!), and yay on getting the run in. Have a GREAT Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many good things in this post Helen. It's nice to hear the words I love you, so cute that he felt like saying it to you. Great grilling, I love grilled corn with salt and lime juice. Great news that you can run again and your foot is better. Things are looking up!

    ReplyDelete