Thursday, June 21, 2012

Thursday Ten

1. I asked, and received permission to work 4 nine-hour days and 1 four-hour day thereby being able to leave work at noon every Friday.  It's something I've wanted for a while and since I need to go for treatments every Friday, it made sense to ask.  My boss was fine with it and I'm a happy camper!  If I really like this schedule I may ask him to continue it after my treatments are finished.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. Big excitement at the Helen household.  Remember the lilies I planted from root plants last year?  Well they came up a teeny bit but never flowered.  This year they've been growing like wild fire and as I pulled in the driveway the other day I saw this:


The first flower!  Of course I looked at all the plants and there are lots of buds.  I hope a bunch of flowers suddenly break out.  As I am not a gardener and have now had daffodils, tulips and lilies bloom, you can color me happy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. I have started buying my Fage yogurt in a big container then dishing it out rather than the smaller individual ones. I was buying the smaller ones when they're on sale but most of the time I have about 2 oz. or so of yogurt left over. It's annoying and ultimately too many times, a waste - picture me at the end of the week cleaning out the fridge and finding 4 or 5 containers with 2 oz. left in them.  Dumb.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


4. I was officially invited to participate in the Black Belt Cycles which means I go to special classes every two weeks on Saturday mornings from 7:30-9:00 a.m. because I am now a candidate for the November/December test.  I don't feel ready at all and completely froze in class the other night when they told us to work on our combinations.  My mind went blank.  Ugh.  I think I'm panicking a little.  Of course panicking does no good at all and what I need to do is figure out how to get over the stomach rumbling stage fright I feel about this test.  I know the material, I can do it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5. Our dojo owners finally officially recognized Mr. Helen as a Sensei.  Even though the students have called him that for years, a couple of years ago they instituted a formal recognition and had never done it with him.  The kyoshi apologized and told him it was way overdue.  (That's true.) He got a new uniform with "Sensei" embroidered right on it and they asked him to have his picture taken by a sports photographer.  It will be made into a poster and put on the dojo wall:

One of the other senseis saw the preview on the photographer's website and posted it on my Facebook wall.  People outside of the dojo who know Mr. Helen in real life keep saying to me that it doesn't look like him at all because he looks mean and he's not mean.  Oh, but I tell them, he can be mean as get out.  Just try messing with his family or someone that he really cares about.  Then you'll see mean.  I think the photo is cool even if he does look a little more stern than usual.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6. Whoooooo boy do we have a busy, busy, busy weekend ahead with an event Friday, Saturday AND Sunday: a couple birthday celebrations and my company's 40th Anniversary shindig.  Each will be nice in their own way but even Mr. Helen took one look at the calendar and said, "Promise me you won't book us for anything next weekend?"  I've just been trying to figure out how I'm going to deal with all the food as if I allow myself 3 days of indulgence that will surely put a halt to any weight loss I might otherwise get.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7. The other Tarjay sun dress.  Our temps went from 65ish to 90 overnight so I finally had the chance to break it out.  So cool and comfortable for a teeny bit of money! And look how much of my pretty St. Martin tan is lost due to no beach time yet.  Sigh.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8. Had my first appointment with the doctor who is treating my aches and pains and I was actually impressed with his treatment plan. I know some of ya'll want details so I'll do a whole separate post mmmkay? When I told him that I had done my boxing classes and had been walking he was fine with that.  He explained further, "Athletes like you [athletes like me!] are hard to stop so I generally advise no exercise and you guys generally just cut back a little which is really what I want."  OHHHHHHH reverse psychology, eh? Even when I find something disagreeable about a new doctor I always give them a few visits - sometimes first impressions are not the real deal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9. I saw this online the other day and was tempted to find it and buy it so the next time someone asks me why I keep running when I keep having issues and when I'm not really built for it (whatever that means!) then suggests that I stop, I could just hold it up and point.  And now you all know the truth.  It's not for health. *Cue Evil Laugh*


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10. Just as an FYI, due to an anonymous idiot I'm requiring people to sign in to comment again. And not that it happens all that often:  If you come on here and are mean spirited or cruel or bullying, Ima delete your comment.  It's my blog. Carry on.

17 comments:

  1. People who want to comment or make suggestions anonymously are the biggest cowards in the world. (this has come up at work and in women's ministries.)

    Yes, I want to hear all about the treatment plan.

    LOL on the running/desserts.

    Cool poster of Mr. Helen!

    And, love the flower! Does this mean its too late to plant the daylily bulbs that I have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori would be the one to answer the gardening question. I think it's OK to plant the bulbs but you won't see any results until next year maybe.

      Delete
  2. I totally understand how excited you must have been with the flower blooming. I am always taking pictures in my garden and am thrilled with any changes. I love the water bottle and the dress. Sounds like you have a really busy weekend. My hubby also doesn't like when everything is crammed into one weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new work schedule sounds great! Also, the blooming lily sounds wonderful. Great photo of Mr. Helen too. The new Dr. sounds interesting, so keep us posted on how it's going. Also--love the dress, and you're lookin' good, Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Woohoooooo!!!
    2. Gorgeous. Our daylillies come back year after year; hope yours will, too.
    3. I eat the entire small container of Fage. Just thought you should know that. ;)
    4. I understand your nervousness, but you totally have this.
    5. The poster is great - the big fist coming at me is intimidating, for sure! Glad he's finally getting the official recognition; crazy that it took them so long to do it!
    6. Haha, I totally get Mr. H's comment. I'm good with one thing on the weekend, but add in more and I just want to hibernate.
    7. That dress is so cute! Love the colors; you look fantastic in it. Glad your weather is finally letting you wear it!
    8. LOL on the reverse psychology. Doctors! It's like they know you. ;)
    9. That bottle is perfect. You must have it!
    10. Yep. Anonymous jerks don't deserve a platform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3. When you come visit me, you'll have to dish out your 6 ounces unless those little ones are one sale then I'll buy some just for you!

      5. He has big hands anyway but jeepers this poster makes that fist look huge lol!

      6. I really don't like having so much crammed into my time "off" either, truth be told.

      Delete
  5. I don't get it - why on earth would someone be posting negatively on your blog? You really don't write anything that would warrant that. Anonymous comments are just chickenshit anyway.

    Couple flower things. When you plant bare root, it usually takes a couple years for them to flower just because perennials are slow. They will spread and fill out over time. Also - daylilies bloom for one day. There will be a lot of buds and it seems like they bloom for a long time because of that, but it is so interesting to me that the flowers only last a day. Mine are exploding now.

    Bravo to Mr Helen on the poster! And you look great in that dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never minded the anonymous comments because for the most part they've been ok - until last week. I even asked the person to identify themselves and they had the nerve to come BACK and post more obnoxious stuff. Bye-bye now!

      Delete
  6. Mr. Helen does look seriously bad-ass! As do you, in your new Target sundress - but in that good bad-ass way!

    So sorry about your rogue commenter - I didn't see it, but I'm sorry you have to endure the unwashed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow: Mr. Helen looks fantastic on that poster and Mrs Helen looks fabulous in her dress!

    And yes miss: you are an athlete!

    That would be nice if you can keep continuing your new work schedule after your treatments. I work 36 hours a week, one week 40 hours and the next 32 which gives me the Friday off. I've been doing this for over 10 years now and I love my 2-weeks day off.

    I don't understand either why people would post nasty comments. It's like it's allowed in the virtual world. In real life they wouldn't dream of saying it. I understand your decision completely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that dress - you look beautiful! I just don't understand mean comments - its so crazy. I guess the only bad comment I've gotten was that I use too many exclamation points!! :D Ha.

    I love that poster - super motivating too!! Congrats to Mr. H!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't why anyone would make nasty comments either. I have been lucky so far but hate to hear this is happening. Any chance you could enable name/url commenting though? It's a bit easier for self hosted wordpress blogs if not too much trouble for you!

    What an awesome list of 10. I barely know where to start so I'll just say I'm impressed you are almost a black belt and that poster of Mr H is AWESOME. He could be in a movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacie if I could do that I would but Blogger doesn't offer that option. Name/URL only works if I also allow Anonymous commenters (that's the setting I had before). I'll probably go back to that but I'm so annoyed right now, for the time being, I've changed back to registered users.

      Delete
  10. YAY for being in the special black belt class. You are one bad @ss lady! Love that.

    Mr Helen looks intimidating! Love that poster though. Very cool and congratulations to him for being officially recognized as a sensei.

    You found that cute dress at Target? Looks great on you.

    Sorry about rude commenters. I don't understand some people. Ugh. Get a life, trolls! What did Thumper's mom tell him on Bambi? If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being that I know Mr. Helen in person, and have had him teach me, I know he has a heart of gold, even when he's looking stern and tough. :-)

    I KNOW you're going to rock that black belt test...good luck with your treatments. Just today I pulled (very slightly) a muscle in my groin so I am going to be extra careful because I don't want it to get worse.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many things to comment on! LOVE the flower, the poster of Mr. Helen is FANTASTIC, You ARE an athlete, I love the dress, , I'm pretty envious of your new work schedule (and your shoes, but that's beside the point :) ), and mean comments? NOT ok...glad you'll just delete them if they ever happen again!!! I just don't understand folks who do that!! Have a great weekend Helen!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of good stuff in this post Helen. Congrats to Mr Helen, he looks amazing in that poster.

    Hope you can get past your worries about your upcoming tests but I am sure you can perform and do well.

    I like your doc's approach, and yes he is right, you are an athlete Helen. Believe it.

    Regarding your weekend ahead filled with food choices, did you see Cammy's post about owning your choices? It really hit home with me.

    Have a fantastic weekend.

    ReplyDelete