Thursday, August 23, 2012

Just for Fun

I've had a good 36 hours or so with my foot.  I got to run on my treadmill yesterday morning - 4 whole miles.  My foot did not hurt during the run and I had minimal pain yesterday.  I even realized last night as I was getting ready for bed that I'd had many moments where I hadn't even thought about it.  For that I'm grateful.

I've been writing so many depressing posts lately that people are fleeing from my followers list.  Oh well, I write this for me - no offense to those of you who do read.  It's my blog and I ought to be able to vent about how I'm feeling and what I'm dealing with, right? Even with my foot aggravation, it's not like I'm never happy or having fun. So for today, I thought I'd do something I haven't done in a while... I thought I'd just put up something fun.  Well, fun to me anyway.

Last weekend Little Helen popped home for a surprise visit and my sister ended up throwing together an impromptu Saturday night Happy Hour as the whole family was available. This will probably be the last time all of us get together before she moves.  Yes, she's moving to be with her fiance and taking Grace and Jacob with her!  How dare she!

Anyway,  She and her fiance made several types of hors d'oeuvres and provided beer, wine, and a cocktail. In making the hors d'oeuvres, they had a meatball contest with my sister and Gracie vs. her fiance and Jacob.  We declared it a tie because the meatballs were so different and equally delicious. Her fiance's meatballs were family recipe made of bison and I have to admit that was the very first time I've eaten bison.  The spices and seasonings were right on point.  My sister's meatballs were called Saucy Asian Meatballs and she found the recipe via Pinterest.   I have to say, I think the dipping sauce made these really good. She chose to put the sauce on the side and let people dip or not.  Here's the recipe if you'd like to try them.

Another favorite was this Gorgonzola Garlic Bread, which I originally pinned but had not yet made.  Glad she stole it from me repinned it because it was so good.  By the end of the night people were slicing the meatballs and putting them on that bread making little sliders.  Delish!

The cocktail was such a huge hit, it stole the show away from the other drink offerings.  I begged for the recipe (this was her fiance's special creation) because this concoction might just be the ultimate summer drink.  Also it is perfect for this type of gathering as the preparation method allows it to be served as a virgin drink, which the kids loved.  And look how pretty it is!


Watermelon Mint Cooler (or Martini)

Put a bunch of chunks of watermelon and some fresh mint into a food processor and process until liquidy. (If you can, do this ahead of time and chill it.) If not, stir in some ice cubes to make it cool.

Take a chilled martini glass and pour in 1.5 - 2 oz. vodka (preferably that has just come out of the freezer), and fill glass with watermelon juice. Garnish with a fresh mint leaf.


Obviously if you want it to be virgin, leave out the vodka and use 2 oz. of seltzer.


It's just that easy!!

16 comments:

  1. I COMPLETELY agree with the "this my my blog and I'll vent if I want to" (sung to the tune of "It's My Party ;-).

    Glad you were able to get in a pain-free run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That drink sounds yummy!

    Glad you had a fun family get-together. How far away will your sister be when they move?

    Three cheers for noticing you haven't been noticing pain! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley you would LOVE that drink. I actually thought of you immediately upon sipping! You should make one for you and Jeff sometime. Maybe your lips wouldn't turn orange?

      So my sister is moving to Long Island and if you had to drive it, it would take 5-6 hours. But because Long Island sticks out into the ocean and creates Long Island Sound, we actually have a ferry service that leaves right from my city and straight goes over. If you take the high speed ferry, it's about 45 minutes over then about an hour to her new house. As with everything in this part of New England, it's more about time than miles because of traffic.

      Delete
  3. What a fun family night you had together. Love it.
    I bet you will be sad that Jacob and Gracie are moving.

    About your blog readers leaving: their loss.
    It's your blog as you say yourself too and you can write about everything you want. I won't leave you, I don't leave friends irl if they are having a hard time and I don't leave blogger friends for that same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know how I love new recipes so thanks for sharing about the goodies!

    Thanks for sharing about your foot pain and the rough patch you are going through Helen. As you know I am having a difficult time right now myself with foot pain and it does take a toll on us emotionally. If people don't want to read about that it's their choice but real friends know all about you and love you just the same!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an unexpected fun time you had! You'll have to take extra vacations now to visit your sister!
    eh, let em go. Followers, unfollowers. I think I actually have 2 people that read my blog (thank you Helen for being a fantastic bloggy friend!) Your blog should make you happy! I read it because it inspires me. Good, bad, ugly.
    I'll take one of those drinks while I'm here.

    xo,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say go ahead and vent. It is your blog and your life and whatever you choose to share on the blog is your own business. Life isn't all rainbows and sunshine, so putting it all out there makes a person more relatable. Just like in 'real life', you don't just share the good things with your friends, you share all of it.

    Glad you had a great time with the family - that makes life great, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It always does me so much good to spend some time with my kids and other family, so I'm happy that you had such a wonderful time with the family.

    The way you describe your ability to run farther and that you realized that there were moments you didn't think about the pain, is a good indication that you are healing. I think we expect healing to take place in an instant or at a certain point in time, when in fact, it is a gradual process. At least this is the way it's been for me. And BTW, don't worry about followers. You can write what you need to write on your blog anytime you want. That's what it's for!! Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't apologize for anything you write! That's what a blog is for- for other people to read and learn and relate- but also for you to vent and organize your thoughts and use as therapy. That's how I feel anyway.. I have thought the same thing too tho, I wonder if I'm being too whiny sometimes. But life is what it is, it's real!

    That drinks looks so yum! And so does that bread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your description of what a blog is for... perfect!

      Delete
  9. Yep - its your blog and you can say whatever you want! I love how open and honest you are about your feelings - makes me come back. :D

    But right now I have visions of meatball sliders on gorgonzola bread - holy amaze balls! :D

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you all got together and had a cooking contest!!! How fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This reminds me of how some lurker posted stupid ass shit when you were in such a good place and on a definite winning streak back in the winter. Remember how he/she/it talked about "your perfect life"...? No matter what we do, someone is going to find fault, so best to be unapologetically ourselves. I'll be following you as long as you blog, Helen. You're one of my peeps!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG GORGONZOLA GARLIC BREAD. You evil, evil woman. :)

    So glad you were able to have one last party before your sister moves away. And I am sorry to hear she is moving; I know how much you enjoy being with your family, so that has to be hard on top of not having your body as strong as you would like. I'd be cranky too!

    Hang in there, Helen. I'll still be here, no worries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I WAAAANT A WATERMELON TINI!!
    and I hath all the 'gredients here too :-)


    Miz.

    ReplyDelete