Thursday, August 30, 2012

Make this Pie!

I'm not kidding.  You should make this pie.  Yes, YOU.  Seriously, it's the easiest pie in the world and like nothing you've ever had.  I've made it twice now and it's the perfect pie to go with any type of grilled meat - or serve with a big salad and eat vegetarian!  Because it's sort of like a starch and vegetable all in one, it's the only side you need.  Yummy I'm telling you! (Biz, you can leave out the shallots.)

I found the recipe over at Noble Pig but I adapted it a bit, reducing the amount of oil called for and using a whole grain mix.



Zucchini, Red Pepper, and Shallot Pie

3 large eggs
1 cup freshly grated Pecorino-Romano cheese (the first time I made it I only had Parmesan and that works too)
¼ cup water
¼ cup olive or canola oil
1 Tablespoon finely minced garlic
½ tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
3 cups sliced zucchini (I slice mine lengthwise then into half rounds)
¼ cup diced roasted red pepper
2 small shallots, finely chopped
1 cup buttermilk pancake/biscuit baking mix (I used Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancake Mix)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine eggs, cheese, water, oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
Stir in zucchini, red pepper, shallot and baking mix. Pour into a 9" deep-dish greased pie plate. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until lightly browned.

Makes 6 servings.  Per serving: Calories: 280, Fat: 16.6 g, Carbohydrates: 20.4 g, Dietary Fiber: 3.4 g, Protein: 12.9 g
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That's it for me this week.  I have an extra long weekend coming up with Friday and Monday off.  I'm looking forward to a weekend of extra rest with some fun sprinkled in.  Enjoy your holiday!

14 comments:

  1. Ha - thanks for the shout out that I can leave out the shallots! :D I am just writing my blog post now - I made a summer quiche that I think you'll like too - no crust and only 202 calories for 1/4 of the pie! Happy Thursday! (although truth be told, for the first 30 minutes I was up this morning, I thought it was Friday) :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really yummy! Of course you know chances are slim that I would actually make it, but a girl can drool, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK Shelley, the "yes, YOU" up there? was meant for YOU! Seriously, the entire time I was making this - it literally takes all of 5 minutes - I kept thinking how this is just the type of dish you should try!

      Delete
    2. Maybe in the wintertime. And when there's more than just me around to eat it. My cooking mojo MIGHT come back then...we'll see. :)

      Delete
  3. It looks and sounds wonderful! Enjoy your long weekend, Helen,and be sure to add some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I wonder how to substitute non-gluten flour? I bet there are gf pancake mixes available. It sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what I would do Roxie, buy a gluten free mix. I know around here we can get one made by Arrowhead Mills that is also organic.

      Delete
  5. Have a great long weekend Helen! Hope your weather is going to be as fabulous as our is supposed to be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Helen I think I have everything on hand to make this! It could be lunch with a salad. Yum.

    Hope you have a wonderful relaxing weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Id love the pie.
    now to find someone to make it FOR ME :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Helen I made this last night and it was awesome! It will go into our regular rotation from now on. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tami, I am so glad you tried it. It really is easy and delicious, isn't it!

      Delete