Thursday, September 27, 2012

At Least For Me...

Debby (from Debby Weighs In) is a maintenance blogger who I've been reading for a couple of years. She recently wrote a great blog post, The Hunger Games, about how for the next 30 days she is trying to eat when she's hungry and not eat unless she's hungry and stop when she's had enough. An experiment of sorts, to see just how much food she really needs.

I completely relate to her desire to do this because I too have noticed as I age that I seem to need much less food.  Not a happy place for a foodie like me, but still it's reality. I commented on the blog that I, too, should try an experiment like that because I know for a fact that when I'm counting calories, if I have calories "left" there are times when I would eat something more, even though I am not hungry. That is just dumb and also goes to show how much more is involved in eating than just plain old stomach growling hunger. At least for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I went back to the foot doctor on Tuesday and his decision is to send me for an MRI. I will be going next Tuesday and then we'll go from there. His reasoning is that if the issue with my foot was simple, the shot I had on the 13th would have taken care of it. At this point, these are all the things that could be possibly wrong with my foot:

  • The worst ever case of Plantar Fasciitis. If this turns out to be so, he will set me up for a series of injections.
  • Calcaneal Fat Pad Injury. It’s very important not to have steroid shots if this is the injury as they thin the fat pad.  This would be treated by heel taping, icing, rest, and probably professional custom orthotics.
  • Plantar Fasciitis Rupture. This would be treated by putting me in a boot cast for 4-6 weeks.
  • Nerve entrapment.  There are a couple of nerves in the heel that can become entrapped.  The treatment for this is surgery.
  • Cancaneal stress fracture. This would probably treated by a boot cast and crutches to start.  It would also mean a complete halt to all weight bearing activity for 8-17 weeks.
As you can see, it's pretty important at this point for him to figure out exactly what is going on vs. just going by symptoms so the proper treatment can (finally) be applied. He said any or all of these issues would definitely show up in the MRI.

You know I immediately went home and spent the evening Googling all of these things.  Probably shouldn't have as Dr. Google tends to present the worst case scenarios. Worst case scenarios make me fearful.  Fear and pain are not a good combination. At least for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm not a skinny girl. I push it. I'm at the limit of chubbiness at all times, but I'm happy at all times."

"Everybody has a weakness (and) mine is food. If you love food and you love red wine and they put you in France, you're in a good place and you're in a bad place at the same time. You have to weigh yourself every day, and you have to have an alarm number. When you get to that number, you have to start putting it in reverse."

~ Actress Salma Hayek talking about her weight ~


I want happiness and wouldn't mind being on the edge of chubby, especially if my curves were in the same place as Salma's. Only two things I disagree with here: I don't think you have to be living exclusively in France to have this issue and I don't think you have to weigh yourself every day. Maybe  you don't even need a scale, but you do need some sort of measure that is an alarm: be it clothing, the scale, or even health issues.

Putting it in reverse is easier to say than to actually do. At least for me.

14 comments:

  1. It's a fact that when we get older we need less food and less sleep. It works for me too that way. The only problem is that a lot of people keep eating the same amount of food as they did when they were young and that's why there are so many adults with overweight.

    English is not my native language and all these medical terms are difficult for me to understand. All I can say is that I hope that the MRI (that one I understand because it's the same here) will give you the answer what's wrong and what you can do to heal.

    Talking about celebrities. I was a bit angry at the beginning of this week when everybody was "attacking" lady Gaga because she put on some weight. Come on: the girl looks great. Stupid media who tries to make us believe we all have to be anorexic skinny people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the MRI gives you and your doctor a definitive answer - and while most of the possibilities do not sound great, they are all curable; to be rid of your pain once and for all would be so wonderful...here's hoping it's one of the more simpler cures. Oh, and I hear ya on scary Dr. Google - information overload is not always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you will be able to have the MRI and a more definitive diagnosis. Knowing is better than not knowing, I would think.

    I read that Selma Hayek quote yesterday myself. I'm sure her definition of "chubbiness" is much different than mine, but I did like the quote. I was disappointed to know that I'd had her confused with Penelope Cruz, whose husband, Javier Bardem, would make me "happy at all times". I'm sure Selma's husband is lovely, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Helen, this was a very interesting post. I wouldn't label you (in particular) older because of your activity level in muay thai kick boxing. If you are going to cut back on food, then you will need to eat more nutrient dense foods that give you as much bang for your buck as you can get. Otherwise you can develop senior citizen nutritional deficiences, and you aren't yet a senior:) I developed Plantar Fascitis last year and was using a cane for awhile. It made me feel old. Some stretching exercises, rolling a can of beans with my foot, pulled the sheets out from the bottom of the bed...and voilà! It magically disappeared. Salma Hayek has body dysmorphic disorder, do not listen to her. I googled her (haha) and she is 36C-25-37. She is married to a billionaire and according to Forbes List of billionaires he is ranked 67th in the world, with an estimated fortune of US$11.5 billion. As a wedding gift, he bought her an island. Geez, poor little chubby rich girl(eyes rolling sarcastically)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marc, TRUST ME when I say I always go for nutrient dense foods. It's not that I want to cut back, I don't. But I just don't seem to need as much food to feel full - even with all the Muay Thai and running that I do. I'm such a foodie that makes me a little sad.

      If you read my archives you'll see I've been getting treatment on my foot for months. Rolling and stretching was the least of it lol!

      Also, I disagree with you about Salma Hayek. First of all she's only 5'2" tall. Especially with those measurements, she's pretty curvy. Women who are built like that can go to chubby or even fat fairly quickly. Also, she's an actress surrounded by bone thin anorexic-looking women with no curves... or Lollipop Heads as Mr. Helen refers to them. Believe me, when she made the statement, she wasn't in poor me mode - just talking about what she has to do to maintain her weight.

      Delete
  5. Helen, I so hope that they will get a definitive answer with the MRI, and that that will have a definitive cure.

    Are you trying the Hunger Game? So far its going well for me!

    LOL at Mark's comment about Salma Hayek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not playing the Hunger Game Debby but I'm not doing much of anything good when it comes to food either (i.e. count calories). I should though, I really should.

      Delete
  6. Dr. Google is the worst! I fell into that trap when Tony had his heart valve replacement.

    I agree with you - if I think I have a "few calories" left for the day, I tend to eat them - I have to remember that it's probably okay to go to bed a bit hungry!

    Hope the diagnosis isn't too bad - fingers crossed!

    That being said I had really bad plantar facititis, I could barely walk without pain and the first hour I was up was excrutiating. I finally had to get inserts for my shoes from my foot doctor - they cost $750! (well, insurance got billed that!)

    I don't talk about it on the blog too much, but I still do that 30 minute stretch that I've DVR'd on the t.v. - "Classical Stretch" - even if I split it up and do 15 minutes before work and 15 minutes at night. I haven't had to wear my inserts since May! I can even wear flip flops without a problem. Which is good since that's one of my four pairs of shoes! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. From what I have read it is really difficult to figure out the exact problem when it comes to our feet issues. Many issues mimick the same symptoms. Glad you are going to get to the bottom of yours. I am still working on mine.

    I agree that we all have to have some kind of measure to keep us on track with our weight and that will be something different for each of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tami, according to my podiatrist, an MRI will tell all about your foot. Not that there's always an easy answer even if you know what's going on, but at least you know is my feeling!

      Delete
  8. Why did they not do the MRI sooner? For some reason I thought you already had one. I am getting annoyed for you, Helen,that they cannot pin this down. It's pissing *me* off and I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be for you.

    I am on the upper end of curvy to chubby, but I don't mind my curves all that much. I wish I were a size smaller again, but not sure I can get it into reverse enough again. I just need to be careful not to put it into overdrive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an x-ray to check for a bone spur and/or a calcaneall fracture by the previous doctor. This doctor told me a stress fracture wouldn't show up on a regular x-ray. He also mentioned that my insurance could be tough so maybe my insurance requires that you jump through hoops prior to MRI? I really don't know but I'm looking forward to getting the results!

      Delete
  9. I hope they come up with the actual reason why your foot is hurting and that it is easily fixable!!! I'm praying for freedom from this pain for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheryl. I know you understand chronic pain.

      Delete