Monday, September 17, 2012

No Magic Pills

Mr. Helen and I decided to play the football picks game against each other again this year.  Winner gets to pick a meal out paid for by the loser. He won week 1 but only by a game.  Still, a win is a win.  We had made plans over the summer to go up and visit his youngest sister and her husband over the weekend and go the The Big E with them.  Most New England States don't have a state fair - we tend to have town fairs and county fairs instead.  The Big E is the closest thing to a state fair but it's for all six New England States.  It doesn't change much from year to year but we hadn't been in a couple years and were looking forward to it. I love the individual state "houses" which are replicas of each state's original State House and showcase that state's people, products and attractions.  I also love the Craft Common which showcases all sorts of arts and crafts, available for sale of course.  Mr. Helen loves to go for the food.  Besides food sales in the state houses, there are vendors galore selling food for every appetite.  He decided to celebrate his victory by eating his way through the day.  Thankfully, for the most part he was willing to share and that meant we sampled lots of different things.  Quite a fun day, even with all the walking.  My foot did OK for the first couple of hours and not so OK for the last couple of hours - aching but not swelling.  The good thing though is that when I got up on Sunday, it was not swollen nor did I have pain.  Time will tell and there's a chance I may have to have another shot.

Friday I kept feeling a tickle in my throat.  Over the day at the Big E, I got raspier and raspier and it felt like it landed in my chest with a thud.  I have been having some issues with the very high weed pollen we have right now so I'm not sure if it's allergies or if I'm developing bronchitis.  In either case, is it okay for me to feel frustrated?  I just want to feel better and be able to have my life back!!

It seems neither the foot shots or Allegra are magic pills.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last week, I spent the week just trying to eat healthfully, but eat exactly what I wanted in smaller portions.  I pretty much kept myself from overeating by promising myself that I could eat anything I wanted at the Big E.  One day I was really hungry - stomach growling hungry - so I decided to have an apple with peanut butter even though mentally I thought I'd had enough food.  After I ate it, my mind sort of went to the dark side where I started feeling that I shouldn't have eaten it because it probably was too many calories total for the day.  My exercise last week was so limited due to my foot swelling and hurting that I was already feeling that I shouldn't even legitimately feel hunger.  I wanted to catch that downward spiral so I decided to track what I'd eaten for the day and see just how "bad" I'd been.  Imagine my surprise when my total caloric intake was 1543.  While that might be a bit high considering my exercise issues, it certainly was not the thousands of calories I thought I'd been consuming.  So each day, at the end of the day, I tracked what I ate prior to going to bed.  I consistently stayed between 1400-1600 calories.  I'm happy with that and even happier to know that I do know what and how much to eat.  I'm continuing with that this week and using Lori's suggestion of building in a treat every 3-4 days as that seems to be when I want to dive off the deep end and eat senselessly.  But treat will mean that my calories will be more towards 1600 - again not thousands of extra calories.

I have to admit, I wish there was a magic pill for all this but I guess it's just going to take diligence in eating healthfully day in and day out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got up this morning and my foot felt completely normal so I decided to try a run on my treadmill. First I did about 15 minutes of strength training.  I need to get back to that and I know it so I made myself do it. One upper body move, one lower body move and core exercises. Because I want to lose weight I figured that doing some high intensity intervals would be the way to go with my run. Put the treadmill at a 1% incline and started off walking at 4 mph for 2 minutes, then jogged for 1 minute. I kept increasing the speed until I wasn't walking but was running slowly at 5.4 mph and sprinting at 6.2 mph. Then I slowly decreased the amount of running time while increasing the sprinting time. Got a 5K done. This is the fastest I've been able to run since my foot started hurting me in April. Color me happy!


No magic pills here either - just some hard work ahead of me to get my speed back.  But all in all, it's a good start.


The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.

 -Walt Disney

23 comments:

  1. No magic pills in my world either, but it sure would be nice! New to your blog and enjoyed reading through some of your last posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If one of us would invent that pill, we'd be freaking rich and finally would be able to meet each other.

    I'm happy you had such a great day at the State Fair, sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Disney quote. LOVE it (not being a fan of committee work...)

    Your paragraph about the eating/not counting/going to the dark side, and then figuring it up--I so get that. And I agree with your summary too--" it's just going to take diligence in eating healthfully day in and day out."--I"m afraid that's what it takes to just maintain a lower weight than we used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I wish there were magic pills, but it is true that hard work pays off. Also, I have found that depriving myself only makes me crave things more. I love, love chicken wings but they are so bad for me. Every once in a blue moon, I will have 2 or 3 instead of the 10 I used to have, and I don't feel deprived then.

    I did make your turkey sausage soup recipe on the weekend and it was a big hit in our house. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the soup Katrin! I'm a huge chicken wing lover - to the point that I consider them a treat food for sure.

      Delete
  5. I hope its not bronchitis!! I am still not 100%, and its going on six weeks. FYI, your 5k time is my dream time! :D

    Back in the day, it wasn't unusual for me to hit a drive through on the way home for a large fries and regular pop, then eat dinner and then bake a 12 inch sausage and pepperoni pizza after Hannah went to bed. I probably ate 4000-5000 calories a day!

    So I know when we "treat" ourselves we think we've gone overboard, but we haven't really - while I know you don't want to track your calories every day, glad you had your reality check and know you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to track my calories. I'm tired of tracking. I just want to get a grip and eat healthy and normal portions. But if I need to I will track because I also do not want to go down the "I ate too much so now I'm gonna eat everything!" road.

      Delete
  6. But I waaaant a magic pill!!! Sigh.

    I had that same experience, back when I was dieting, of eating something because I was hungry, but it wasn't on my "plan" - thought I'd blown it massively, but when I put everything into my food tracker, I was only about 200 calories up. Good thing I did that, or I would have adopted the "I've already messed up, might as well eat this and this and THIS" attitude. Glad that you were able to rein it in as well. :)

    Fair food - I admire anyone who's stomach can take it...I can't anymore. Did you see the Blogess's post on how the Texas fair was trying to kill her? Too funny.

    Glad you had a sweet run this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see the Bloggess' post and how funny is it that my first thought was you guys don't pay nearly as much for fair food as we do. I think the fried oreos were selling for $8 or $9. I actually didn't eat anything fried! My big indulgence was a Wicked Whoopie and I don't regret it one bit - that thing was delicious!

      Delete
    2. Figures...the junky food would be the cheapest here in the south. How else can we live up to the overweight stereotype? ;)

      Delete
  7. It was so strange to see the Big E mentioned in your post. I grew up one town away from the Big E and still live in Western Mass. I haven't been to the Big E in a few years. You're right about it not changing much from year to year.

    Congratulations on your run! I'm sure it felt great.

    Ahhh the magic pill. I have given up on that dream. For now it's lots of hard work and dedication.

    I really love that quote. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fellow New Englander! I had no idea you were in Massachusetts!

      Delete
    2. Yes just off of 91N about 10 minutes past Springfield. Small world!!

      Delete
  8. If we could invent a magic pill, we'd be gazillionaires, 'cause there would be a whole lotta "buyers"!!! sigh. Onward to a good week Helen! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you enjoyed the food! It is such a waste when you eat something and then feel guilt, regret or beat yourself up for it. Food is meant to be enjoyed, after all. And bargaining is a good thing. I like that you told yourself you could try whatever you wanted and it seemed to work to keep you from going over board. I think it is very different to go to an event and say "I can try a little bit of whatever" than to go and think "I can't have anything". It certainly gets you to eat less with permission. Funny how our minds are like little children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've spent way too many years going to events feeling I couldn't participate because of the food being served. I am DEFINITELY done with that!! Food IS meant to be enjoyed but a lot of folks forget that.

      Delete
  10. I love tracking my food Helen. I too am sometimes surprised that my daily total isn't sky high. I like the idea of a built in controlled treat every few days. It keeps you from feeling deprived which for me can lead to a big blow out of eating!

    Hope your foot continues to feel better and you can resume your running.

    ReplyDelete
  11. everyone told me allegra was the magic stuff for me and my girl.
    Ive noticed nothing either!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delighted to know you're a "Big E - goer". Every year my kids and I go to the Big E. We start with fried dough for breakfast and it goes downhill from there. There are 5 of us in the car - a BIG car full, as the "kids" are all in their 40s and 50s and it's our one big goofy outing for the year, and we all love it. I just recently found you, and I love your blog, Helen. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tried your Italian Sausage Soup and it was WONDERFUL!! The biggest shock was His Majesty saying I needed more spinach in it (gasp!). I can only assume you've developed a magic potion of some sort. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think I have ever heard of The Big E before, but I sure did love going to the Chester Fair every summer when I was a kid. I wish they had more town fairs around here. That's the downside of living near a big city!

    ReplyDelete