Friday, September 21, 2012

Sick and Tired

I've been silent for most of the week because I'm sick (insert booing and hissing here).  After being up coughing all night long Tuesday night, I called my doctor and got in there Wednesday.  She said I have bronchitis.  Are you kidding me?  How on earth I got it I'll never know because I haven't been around sick people.  Mr. Helen informed me I'm in good company as more than half of the University of Connecticut's football team was struck down last week too.  I  really do hope that the pills and potions she gave me are magic because I am sick and tired of being sick and tired! And to add insult to injury, they made me weigh.  I stood backwards on the scale and told her not to tell me as I didn't want to be mortified by the actual number.  Her comment?  "I can tell you haven't been able to run and exercise like normal."  Sighhhhhh.  My bucket-o-drugs:



The one thing I will say is that I have flat out refused to let this latest thing derail my resolve.  Monday I did my strength training and interval 5K on the treadmill.  Tuesday, I did strength training and another interval 5K on the treadmill in the morning and then went to Muay Thai that evening.  Wednesday, I got up and did my first outside 5K since the shots were put in my foot.  Thursday, I slept in as the bronchitis caught up with me but I went to Muay Thai in the evening. This morning I ran a slower 4 miles (no intervals) and Saturday morning I have my special black belt prep class from 7:30-9.

My foot has been slower to feel better than I would like and I'm sure some of that is due to the tendinitis I had developed due to the heel injury. Right now I seem to have a really good day followed by a so-so day.  I actually have a call into my podiatrist right now as I want to have a discussion to determine if I need to come in and have another shot. I don't think I ever mentioned it but not one of the three doctors (one MD, one Sports Medicine Kinesiologist, and one Podiatrist) could agree on what was wrong with my foot so I've basically been attacking it in every way possible.  Thought maybe you'd like to see some of the gadgets:

This is a brace that is used for tendinitis and plantar fasciitis.  It keeps the foot flexed so that the tendons are straight. At first I was wearing it for me heel (it didn't help) but now I'm wearing it for the tendinitis on the left side of my foot.  I can't wear it to bed because it's bulky and Mr. Helen sleeps to my left so it would be annoying to him.  Instead, I've been carting it to work and if I know I'll be sitting for a while, I put it on.  Then once I'm home and sitting, I wear it until bed time.



These are all natural medicines for inflammation.  One is a cream that I rub all over my foot, the other is a pill to get the inflammation internally.  I'm not sure how effective they are for long term but I'd rather try natural stuff than constantly be taking Aleve or Motrin.

And this is my favorite thing ever!  I would even recommend this if you ever just have achy feet.  It is a sock, which has places to insert ice packs. One ice pack is on top where the tendinitis is and the other is below my sore heel.

Finally, at the end of July, I invested in a pair of orthopedic flip flops from Orthaheel..  I wanted to be able to wear a sandal and my regular old cheap flip flops were only making my foot hurt more.  These came in super handy around house too because I have wood floors and let me tell you, those feel extra hard when you have a sore foot.  I liked the flip flops so much, just this week I bought a pair of their slippers.  While expensive, I think these were good investments for the long range health of my feet.


I think I've given this foot thing the whole college try.  Now I just wish the damn thing would heal!

What I'm most proud of this week is that I have kept my eating controlled.  While I've often found myself still wanting to Pain Eat/Medicate, I have simply just refused to do it.  I suppose I just feel done and want to move on from the fog I've been in for almost 6 months.  I also have been building in planned treats.  My treat on Wednesday was a homemade chunky chicken salad sandwich on the beautiful dark rye pumpernickel bread I bought at the Big E, with a serving of Ruffles potato chips.  That might not sound like a treat to some of you, but normally I would put that chicken salad over greens and eat cucumber "chips."  My next treat is scheduled for Saturday but I'm not sure what it will be yet.  I won the football picks last weekend so Mr. Helen has to wine and dine me!  Well, not wine what the antibiotics and all but maybe dine and dessert?

Even with all the creeping crud I've got going on, I'm feeling more like myself than I have in a while.  Let's hope this trend continues.

21 comments:

  1. Did you visit Biz or something and pick up that bronchitis?

    And WTF with that comment when you got on the scale? Especially when you specifically did not want to know.

    Regarding the shots, they can take several weeks to 'kick in' - guess that's the nature of the steroid and all that.

    Maybe you need a staycation or just some time off for you. Go to a day spa, have a pedi/mani, relax. Check out groupon or livingsocial and find a good deal on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, my EXACT thought when she said that was, "WTF?!!!"

      Delete
  2. Ha - Lori - I was going to tell Helen "You didn't get it from me!" My bosses daughter has it and my other bosses son has it at University of Florida. All of of can't figure out how we got it either.

    The cough syrup helped a lot, as did the prednisone finally. I am about 95% back to normal after nearly six weeks - hopefully yours flies to coop sooner!

    Have fun with your dine and dessert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The steroid inhaler seems to be what is helping me, thankfully as she said if it didn't work she was putting me on Prednisone. The cough syrup is definitely helping me sleep!

      Delete
  3. Well, geez! Helen! I hope you get well soon!
    I've got a few gadgets for my sore foot. Not as extensive as yours since they are my own attempts at alleving the pain. You'd think I'd just go to a doctor!
    The flip-flops are cute! I'm going to have to check those out! I have tile in my house and those would help!

    xo,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flip flops are not a magic pill Linda but I really do like the support they offer my foot and they do help guard against hard floors.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry you are sick-sick; but honestly, PITA as it is, at least that IS something that can be cured fairly quickly with meds. The foot thing is so freaking aggravating, because the magic pill for that pain doesn't seem to exist. :(

    So how funny/freaky is this? Tuesday when I was at CVS picking up another of their "peas" ice bags, I considered buying that Penetrex cream. I've had those ice socks in my Amazon wishlist for a couple weeks now. I bought the exact same pair of Orthaheel flip flops about a month ago. Sore foot twins, unite!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GMTA Shelley! If you're thinking about getting the Penetrex do it. I ordered mine from Amazon but the company sent me an email stating they guarantee their product. Try it for 30 days and if you don't like it send it back for a full refund. I thought it was worth a try.

      Delete
  5. So sorry about the creeping crud - it truly is the last thing you need right now. I've never heard of the orthaheel flip flops. I wonder if I need some.

    I do hope you are able to get to the bottom of what is causing you all this pain. I can't even imagine how frustrated you must be. My hope is that you feel better soon - and I'm glad to read that you are feeling more "yourself". That counts for a lot. Happy Weekend, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you didn't mean to be punny but it's the "bottom" of my foot LOL! No seriously, something just isn't right so I hope the doc calls me back today. Orthaheel lets you wear their shoes for up to 30 days and if you don't like them you can return for a full refund. Can't go wrong with that!

      Delete
  6. Heal! That's an order. Sorry for the bronchitis - it's going around suburban Philly too. So far I've avoided it.

    Am going to check out the flip flops right now - the bottoms of my feet are often achy and I have some fibrous tissue between toes and the first joint that aches if I don't wear expensive solid arched shoes. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bronchitis is the pits! Good thing you got checked out and now can get all better. Hang in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you feel better soon. It sucks to feel crappy. There seems to be a lot of things going around. Unfortunately whenever I get sick, I tend to get the munchies.

    I like the polka dot slippers. You were smart to buy a good pair, especially with the foot problems you have been having. If it helps your feet, the cost is well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uh, bronchitis is the worst. That horrible rattling in your chest! I can't believe you are exercising through it. You kick butt.

    How cute are those slippers? So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm hoping you're feeling much better, Helen. There isn't anything more exhausting than coughing! I've been reading your archives and thoroughly enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have some orthotic flip-flops too, and have to wear them or my athletic shoes on these concrete floors. I was wishing for some slippers, but never thought about getting them from the podiatrist. I'm going to get me some!!! Glad you are starting to feel better, even with the bronchitis.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope by now you are feeling much better again Helen. Being sick is not fun, especially not when it's on top of things.

    I got sick yesterday evening and feel terrible at the moment but am at work. Will see how this day goes, if things get worse I can always go home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. late because Ive been traveling but ADORE YOU FEEL MORE LIKE YOURSELF THAN EVER--even with said crud.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you feel better! I want some of those ice socks! Hang in there with the foot pain. It's really a drag, but I hope it will be better for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Helen I sure hope you are feeling better.Thanks for sharing all about those foot care items. There are some things that I am interested in trying since I am also having foot issues.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been sick as well. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete