Friday, October 12, 2012

Back in Time



But to understand the future, we have to go back in time.
Pitbill


Not sure what I expected but it certainly wasn't this:


Still I got on that thing this morning and pedaled for 30 minutes.  It's so retro I felt like I probably should change the playlist on the iPod but appropriately that playlist started with Back in Time by Pitbull and ended with Burn Rubber on Me by The Gap Band.  Even without the modern bells and whistles I worked up a light sweat but I'm just going to consider this a way to keep my legs conditioned a bit.

In the November 2012 issue of Runner's World, Amby Burfoot has an article entitled The Life of a Runner, which I happened to read just before falling asleep last night.  It's like it was meant for me.  In it he says (and more specifically reminded me):

First the bad news: If you aim for a lifetime of running, you will hit bumps on the road.  Heck, let's be honest: You will hit something that looks like Mount Everest, and on the back side a gulf as deep as the Grand Canyon.  The challenges we each encounter are uniquely ours, but they will come.  We all have good years and bad.  Shift happens.

Life requires us to make adjustments, less is still something.

My plan is to roll with what has been a pretty bad year, lean into the shift, and make the most of my less.

Have a great weekend all!

17 comments:

  1. Wow - what a great reminder. Indeed it does sound tailor made for you right now Helen, and I hope it brings comfort and continued acceptance of what is. As the title of one of Joan Lunden's books says, "A bend in the road is not the end of the road." Sounds trite, bite what wisdom in those words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Helen! Love the retro-cycle! Looks like it has a tension knob so you can increase the intensity. That's what my dad's old stationary bike had, and I could work up a sweat on that thing too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Shift happens." Amen to that! It's so simple, and yet so profound. And it applies to pretty much every damned thing, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didja wear your leotard and leg warmers while riding it? LOL - I love it! And good on ya for riding it; your willingness toward getting fitness in is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gramma called, return the bike and no charges will be filed:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh.my.god. That bike. I definitely see tights and a high ponytail while riding that one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That picture brings back memories - my parents still have that very same bike with a slightly different saddle!

    Love that reality check article! So true!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you wear a Jane Fonda workout leotard and a headband while you were on the retro bike? OMG...I just looked up, Shelley said pretty much the same thing! And now I'm going to have "Physical" by Olivia Newton John going through my head for a while. Have a good Friday Helen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My parents had a bike like that, except it had an odomoter to tell how far you went.

    My Dad was so proud when I got on the bike, a minute later came back out and said "I went 1 miles!" I didn't have the heart to tell him he'd only gone .1 miles!

    I think I'll use shift happens, instead of shit happenes - much more positive spin! :D Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol...you should have broken out a bit of donna summer....slapped on a headband and some leg armers...too funny. Good job on rolling with the punches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, man, I have not seen a recumbent bike like that in YEARS! But as long as it works, who cares? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the bike! It certainly brings back memories. Very positive attitude, Helen. Reality can indeed "bite," but I sense better days ahead for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This must have been the first hometrainer ever LOL.

    I have a subscription on the US Runner's World too and I've read the article too and found it very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. CRACKED UP at the retro---and yet I always find retro does kick my...uh...booty :0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL at that bike photo! Oh my goodness Helen, what a good sport you are to use it. I have plenty of bumps in my road right now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thats awesome! What brand is the bike? A huge thumbs up tp whoever made that, don't think any of the new one's will last as long.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Lean into the shift..."
    Absolutely love that.

    ReplyDelete