Monday, October 22, 2012

Isn't She Lovely

I had such a good time at my first bachelorette!  I was a bit worried because on one hand I knew I would be the 'old lady' of the group but on the other, Em considered me cool enough to hang out with friends her age, so there's that.  The only mis-step on my part was not contacting either Em or her sister (who is her maid of honor) to ask how everyone was dressing.  I chose what I wore based on where we were going for dinner.  I always forget that around here, the art of dressing for dinner pretty much doesn't exist because we are a tourist town.  I was a smidge overdressed (under statement of the year right there) but I suppose in the end, it didn't matter.

It was an unusually warm day - at least 10 degrees higher than normal which meant the weather was great for vineyard hopping but at times everyone wished they hadn't packed away their summer clothes yet.'

We started at a local orchard that is starting to produce some wines and also a variety of hard cider.  This was the first time I ever tasted hard cider.  I don't know why I didn't think I'd like it but I did.  The bubbles are a lot like champagne.  The bridesmaids in Em's wedding provided us with lots of snacks so that none of us were tasting on an empty stomach. It was so beautiful sitting there that we ended up staying for a couple hours!  What was really nice was that they brought the tasting outside to us. Before I get started showing you photos, you should know that except for the two photos of Em, these were not taken by me but by a very artistic friend of Em's.  Her eye was amazing and I was thrilled at how she caught the spirit and fun of our day.  Warning:  this is photo heavy because I couldn't decide what photos to show, so many of her shots were so good.




We spent so long at the orchard we decided to skip the second winery and go for the third. I was happy about that because it's my favorite winery and where I am a Grape Nuts member.  It was crowded as get out but we managed to squeeze in for a tasting then went outside to enjoy ourselves.















Yes, that's my fancy shoe up there.  I had to do something to balance out the awful boot!  When we left the winery we went to dinner where you know I had to have my Saturday night martini!

Believe me when I say I had to have that to stomach seeing the oysters that Em chose (sorry Em, but I sure was glad you sat on my end of the table).  This restaurant is known for sourcing all their ingredients locally, so these had probably been caught Saturday morning some time. Mr. Helen said they look fantastic. OK, whatever you say.

In the end all that really mattered was that our bride-to-be was happy, even if I didn't enjoy her oysters.  And I think she was.

13 comments:

  1. That looks like such a fun time - you ladies sure know how to have fun :D I don't think you look overdressed.

    Raw oysters - ewww. Best oysters ever? Chargrilled at Drago's in New Orleans. Table pounding good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun day Helen, the photos show indeed how much fun you all had. And I agree with Lori, I don't think you were overdressed either, you look great (love the red shoe but expect you already knew this was coming).

    A bachelorette with sunshine and wine: sounds like mine except for the oysters, I don't eat them either so it would be "safe" for you to come to mine.

    Great day and thanks for sharing all the wonderful pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it was a blast...and hey, somebody has to show the younger set the art of a good shoe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the picture of you with the wine bottle - too funny! Glad you had such a fun night. I forgot all about hard cider - I love it but it has a lot of sugar in it! :(

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, sooooo fun! You look FANTASTIC Helen!!!!! I don't think you look overdressed at all. Love the pic of you with the wine bottle, and the one of the top of the bottle with the cork!!! Have a happy Monday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your outfit and pretty shoe. I don't eat oysters anymore because of the health things I've read, but I used to eat them fried. I was never tempted to try those slimy raw things. As you can tell, I am no gourmet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic photos Helen! That photographer has a great eye indeed. Love those shoes. I have a thing for red shoes - and pointed toes.

    Lovely bride to be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. FAB-U-LOUS!! Love your zebra top and red shoe!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you had a lot of fun. What a great idea! The pictures are really good. Love the red shoe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy, the last pics made me hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Looks like such a good time. I love the pictures. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG so so so fun. Glad you all had such an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete