Friday, October 5, 2012

Major Rackety Irritation

Truth be told that's what M.R.I. should stand for!

Wow.  Next time, I'm getting a prescription for Valium or Xanax and making Mr.Helen take me.  Did not like one bit.  Yes, my head was out and they even gave me earphones with music and a lavender scented washcloth to lay over my eyes.  Still about half-way through I felt myself starting to panic - heart racing and sweaty and wanting to either scream or jump off the table.  Somehow I managed to breathe through it and finally it was over.

I haven't heard from the doctor yet as to what the results are.  As this doctor has not been proactive at all, I will give him a call today to see if the MRI has at least reached their office.  In the meantime, my foot remains a Major Rackety Irritation too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's a shot of my sweet Gracie wearing the outfit I bought her for her birthday.  I was so tickled that I found shoes that matched.  Adorable!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you missed the story of Wiltrina Jones this week, you should click on this link and watch.  I love to hear stories of people who figure it out!  It's probably why I follow so many maintenance bloggers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm thinking by the end of next week our foliage will be at peak.  I have to admit the colors are magnificent this year even if we have had a really crappy, foggy, rainy, drizzly, cloudy week.  I get to see this tree everyday on my way to work.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not much else to write about as I feel like I'm in holding/waiting mode for a resolution to the foot issue.  I told a friend the other day it feels like 2006 all over again.  That's the last time I had an injury that took months and months to heal and my running went to hell in a handbasket.  My mood definitely followed.  It's deja vu all over again.

No special plans for the weekend.  Or I should say fun plans.  I do need to purge the closet and do some seasonal clothing swaps as it looks like it's going to cool down to more October-like temperatures.

**********UPATE**********
Received a call back from the doctor's office about an hour ago.  I have a calcaneal stress fracture and a torn plantar fascia.  I have an appointment for Monday morning to be fitted for a boot.  No more walking than necessary and absolutely no running of course.  Not sure what this will mean for my black belt test.  

So, pretty much for me, the worst has happened.  I'm fairly upset right now.

22 comments:

  1. I didn't love the MRI with head out either, and probably would have benefited from drugs. Like you I got through it, using deep breathing, meditation and extreme adrenalin from fight or flight response!

    Your niece looks like the coolest 6 year old ever! And the fall colors are wonderful. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said Leslie, next time Valium! Xanax! or both!

      Delete
  2. I really hate it when Doctors are not proactive in getting back to you with the results. Several years ago I went through a medical phase where the audiologists were pretty sure I might have an acoustic neuroma. When you find out what it is, you are like, Oh Sh*t! I had the MRI done and waited and waited. That is the worst part. As it turned out I had a unilateral hearing loss or single-sided deafness. It was brought on by exposure to hazardous noise during the first Gulf War. I still have the hearing loss and have learned to deal with it. On the bright side I didn't have a brain tumor:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, nowadays we have Dr. Google to sentence us to death while we wait, which might be worse than the waiting LOL!

      Delete
  3. Love your acronym for MRI. Love the tree pic. Anxious to hear your results. Hopefully they will read the MRI before the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry ! Dang it. I can understand the mood. Loved the tree. Fall is my fave time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, ugh, ugh on your MRI results. That sucks. Here if you need a night out or a brunch date or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a sweetheart as always. My second thought, after I asked the nurse if I could run tomorrow, was "Oh no! I might not be able to wear cute shoes to Em's wedding!" Maybe in a couple weeks they'll let me have a one day reprieve...

      Delete
  6. Gracie looks adorable! Sorry the MRI was so difficult to get through. But like the trooper you are, you worked your way through it.

    Sorry about the foot news, I know how you feel - I really do. At least now you finally know what the problems are and can get treatment, heal and move on. This is the first step in the right direction.

    I had to wear one of those boots for months after getting out of casts when I had ankle surgery. The good thing about them (unlike a cast) is that you can remove them to take a shower and sleep. You still get to shave your legs. Trust me when I tell you what a life saver that is.

    Be sure and ask about getting a temporary handicap tag for your car as it will come in so handy and you'll be glad you have it.

    Prayers for your healing Helen. Keep you chin up and know that this too shall pass. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a terrific idea about the handicap tag and I've added it to my questions for the doctor list. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Injuries just suck the life out of you, between the pain, the oftentimes delay in getting a correct diagnosis, the cost, and of course, the time to heal. I am so sorry about this; I know it's a terrible feeling, both physical and mental. Try not to awfulize too much this weekend about the black belt test, and please do not take a page from your BIF's book and try cure this with coconut M&M's or something similar - it really doesn't work.

    Hang in there. You'll be all fixed up soon, and best of all, you won't be hurting anymore. Big, big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stress today has made me not even want to eat believe it or not! I would, however, like a giant martini. That won't solve anything either though will it? I've promised myself to stay away from Dr. Google and just wait until I talk to the doc. I'll be very glad to not be hurting anymore.

      Delete
  8. I am sorry about the MRI results, but like I said on FB - now you know and can move forward with the proper treatment. You might be able to do some great other things for your body, like Pilates mat work and upper body lifting to keep from sitting around and eating (or drinking).

    At least the boot comes off. Way better than a cast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Helen. Look forward to hearing what news the MRI bring. Bring on the treatment, the healing and getting this behind you. Have a good weekend. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am just out of a boot

    I will not tell you how long I was in it, as it will depress you

    Get an Even-up for your other shoe so you do not mess up your knees, hip or back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh noooo! Just saw the update about the boot. Crap, I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry, but the results explain why this has been taking so long to heal. It's true, injuries do suck the life out of a person, but now that you know, the healing process will hopefully move along much faster. Again, I know how hard it is deal with something like this, and I will be thinking of you, and hoping for a speedy recovery. Take care, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hopefully now that you have a diagnosis, you will get the proper treatment and start to heal. You will eventually begin to run again. Don't rush to get back into it. I know it sucks but make sure your foot is ok first. Take care :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read the diagnosis on FB too and I feel so sorry for you. For you this is one of the worst things that can happen too you and I can feel your pain. Wish there was something I can do but there isn't unfortunately except giving you a virtual hug.

    Oh my goodness doesn't look Gracie fantastic. I love that girl, she has her taste for fashion AND shoes from you I bet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her mama says she takes after me for sure Fran!

      Delete
  15. Oh Helen. I'm really sorry. I am glad you were able to find out what's wrong so the healing process can start. Giving you a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could have sworn I commented on Friday - maybe its in your Spam folder - not sure why that's happening to me on blogs I comment on regularly!

    Sorry about your foot - I know what a setback that is for you, but glad that you have a diagnosis and a plan for recovery.

    HUGS! And um, your lasagna you posted on facebook looked amazeballs - I need your recipe!

    ReplyDelete