Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Tuesday Ten: That's All I'm Going to Say About That

10. As late as I eat dinner most evenings, I have absolutely NO BUSINESS eating another thing after dinner. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

9. The dates for my black belt test were announced:  November 30-December 1. There are 3 sessions: 7-9 pm on Friday night, 6-8 am and 1:30-3:30 pm on Saturday. I'm scared and excited all at the same time. Assuming I'm chosen to test, that is.

8. It is entirely possible to out-eat your exercise calories burned even when eating very healthy food. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

7. Mr. Helen won the football picks last week. I tried to insist his win wasn't fair as we were completely tied up until the Monday night game where Green Bay was robbed of their win by the replacement refs. Even the NFL agreed that Seattle did not win that game. He said he didn't care, a win was a win. Therefore, I had to be a good sport and pose for the loser photo:

6. See that sign right up there behind my head? That tells you what sort of place we were at.  As soon as he picked it, I knew this would have to be my treat meal this week. I love chicken wings but they are not the healthiest thing in the world, are they? I got garlic pepper and he got buffalo and some sweet potato fries. Thankfully, I won the football picks this week by a landslide. I've already picked out where we are going - chicken wings and fries will not be involved, at least for me.  And that's all I'm going to say about that.

5. I found this at the grocery store.  It is so good and only 90 calories and 1.5 grams of fat for half a cup.  That's pretty darn close to frozen yogurt I think.  Not sure if it's the spices or what, but it tastes more like custard than light ice cream.  Since it's limited edition I need to see if I can find more so that I have some around Thanksgiving time.  I love my little pink ice cream bowl - I carried it all the way home from St. Martin in 2002.  It holds a half cup of ice cream and makes it look like a lot.

4. I spent quite a bit of time last Sunday in the kitchen cooking and prepping for this week. In addition to the first pot roast of the season, I made Crockpot BBQ Chicken, Sweet and Sour Kale, Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower Rice, Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf, and Oven Roasted Asparagus. Plus I sauteed up a bag of spinach and a package of mushrooms that had been in the fridge for a few days. A cheesy Lifetime movie helped me pass the time.

3. Believe it or not, I've never, ever been to a Bachelorette Party before. Probably has something to do with my age.  I don't think they were very common when women my age were getting married - we just had bridal showers and that was that. Now I've been invited to my friend Em's bachelorette and I'm quite honored to have been invited as well as excited to go. It's going to consist of touring a couple of wineries and then a nice dinner. Sounds fun!

2. It has been no secret that I've been struggling with both my food and my exercise since I've had the foot issue.I'm now finding myself in the terrible position of being nowhere near where I thought I'd be weight or fitness wise. I had to get weighed for the MRI I'm having. Once again, I asked not to know, and they were kind enough to agree. Unfortunately they forgot to tell the registration people at the hospital that I didn't want to know. When I was called to go over my instructions for the MRI (i.e. don't wear any jewelry), the woman said, "And you weigh XXX correct?"

1. I hung up the phone and started crying. I mean, I knew. I'm not stupid and I know which clothes are not fitting right now. Still, it was painful. Why I let that dumb number bother me so much I don't know. The very reason I don't weigh myself to see the number is because it does bother me. I suppose the good thing that came out of all this is that something inside me snapped. I decided in the spirit of it taking 21 days to change bad habits, I was putting myself on the straight and narrow: 21 days to Em's bachelorette and then I can have a treat. Until then, no amount of foot pain is going to make me waver from my intended goal. Even if it means I have to go to bed at 7 pm. I'm done. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

21 comments:

  1. You know I am obsessed with my "number" right now. I can always tell by my clothes too even if I think "oh a couple of pounds (which usually isn't a couple for me)won't hurt. Please don't let it bother you too much. Please don't put extra pressure on your foot either until you at least get your MRI results.

    Also, chicken wings is probably one of my biggest weakness. That's all I am going to say about that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been addicted to the Edy's Slow churned pumpkin - it's found it's way onto my food log several times... But now I can't find it anywhere =(. All the local stores just have the full fat pumpkin cousin, and I don't dare bring it into the house.

    You know full well you are not the scale verdict...but I sure get it. And for me, if I'm going to overdo in a day, it's ALWAYS after dinner. Crazy but true. I like you 21 day thing. You mentioned it to me a while back. I think I'm going to set that as a goal for myself. Thanks Helen, and hang in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the next 21 days! I just finished the Whole 30 (inspired by you and Mama Bean) and I'm really pleased with the results. Also, thanks for the cauliflower recipe. I'm going to try it this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it. I really do and I never even liked cauliflower before I tried it!

      Delete
  4. Oh my, that pumpkin ice cream sounds delicious. I wonder if they have it out here? Must check!

    Your 21 days sounds great. Have you decided what exactly 'the straight and narrow' is going to be for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No extras. Not even a handful of anything. Not one thing. Nothing. Nada. Niente. Rien.

      Delete
    2. And I meant to say that's probably Dreyer's out your way :)

      Delete
  5. I am amazed that a woman who gets her kicks (muay thai) beating up opponents gets intimidated by a number (the scale). There is a man from England named Clairmonte Charles. We are about the same age, height and weight. That is where the similarity ends. If I had his physique I wouldn't care what the number on the scale said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Edy's pumpkin ice cream is really good. Too bad it is limited edition. I think they do an eggnog closer to Christmas, too.

    I loves me some wings!

    I get the number on the scale bothering you. It shouldn't, but it does and there is that to deal with. If only there was some way to turn off the negative feelings, but keep the motivation they sometimes give you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there you have summed up how I feel. Sometimes you see that number and yes - motivation. Other times you see it and it leads to a why bother attitude. I don't the negative feelings to overtake all my efforts at good health!

      Delete
  7. I've never been to a bachelorette party either - back in the dark ages (read, when I got married) they were just coming into happening, but seemed like they were for the more wild brides. I still wouldn't go if they made me wear any type of um, appendage necklaces, but I bet most of them are just plain fun without being too over the top. The one you're invited to sounds great!

    I'm sorry the scale got to you. It's incredible how much power a stupid number can have. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stupid, stupid number.

      As long as the bachelorette doesn't turn out like that movie Bridesmaids, I'm good to go!

      Delete
  8. Helen, we are both going to be toasting to our fabulous selves for having met our food goals for 30/21 days come October 20... I can taste that wine now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pumpkin slow churned ice cream - I'm in! I'll have to look for that one.

    I have never been to a bachelorette party either.

    We have been cooking ahead on the weekends and that has worked out really well. I love having things ready to heat and eat at the end of a busy day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pumpkin ice cream? Looks fab, I wonder if we can buy it up here in Canada. Hmm...
    YOu look so pretty in the picture Helen. And I think the finger you stuck up at Mr. Helen when he took the photo was very diplomatic! :) Sending hugs your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never been to a bachelorette either. We're about the same age and in my time it wasn't as big as it is these days. Hmmmm maybe I should marry myself then I can have one :)

    How exciting that you know the dates for you black belt test.

    The food you make on Sunday like the sprouts and asparagus: do you heat them up in the microwave or oven during the week when you are going to eat them? I'm asking because I don't prep food for the week coming but think it might be handy sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on what it is that we are heating, how we actually heat it (microwave vs. oven vs. stovetop) but yes, that's exactly what I do. I really have no idea what we'd eat if I didn't do a bit of prep. Most nights we don't even get to sit down to dinner until sometime between 7 and 8 pm. If I had to cook we'd not be eating until well after 9, I'm sure!

      Delete
  12. One year for Mother's Day Hannah bought be an icecream maker - she's the icecream person in our family, which I thought was funny! Since she moved out I haven't had icecream in the house at all! But pumpkin icecream sounds good.

    Don't get me started about chicken wings - I love everything about them, except the calories and fat!!

    I have cauliflower and may have to make your cauliflower rice, I haven't tried that yet. Happy hump day! (and yes, I do get your email notification of a new post a day later!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. yep
    Ive lived number eight.
    I had no idea....until I lived it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My only complaint about Edy's is that it doesn't come in smaller containers. Even though I measured out my portion of their fabulous key lime pie Slow-Churned, there were still a LOT of portions in that tub!

    ReplyDelete