Monday, October 1, 2012

Weekend Hijinx!

I got up Saturday morning after sleeping in until 7:30!  Holy moly.  Mr. Helen said he was glad I slept because he thought I'm really not quite over the bronchitis and needed to rest.  After drinking coffee and reading the paper and fooling around, it was 8:30 before I started to exercise.  I practiced the Muay Thai combos and weapons I need to know for my test.  Then I ran 4 miles.  By the time I got done with all of that, it was 10:00 which meant brunch.  I wanted something hearty enough to hold me all day as we were going out to dinner to celebrate Jacob and Gracie's birthdays.  I stole the idea from one of my favorite breakfast/lunch places. This is a bacon, tomato and avocado pannini with reduced fat cheddar cheese on whole grain, multi-grain bread.  I made up a dill-ranch dressing to schmear on the bread.  It was so good and it held me for 7 hours! (I probably started to get hungry around 6 hours later but you'll see why I saved my appetite.)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grace and Jacob's birthdays are just 3 days apart so we generally have one family get-together for both.  They had so much fun at the Japanese hibachi we went to last spring for Mama Helen's birthday, they asked if they could have their family celebration there.  Of course, all the adults agreed because the food is delicious and somewhat healthy.

Gracie, as usual, was dressed to the nines and was especially exited to show me her new boots that Little Helen had sent her.  Go on with your bad self Gracie!

And here is the bow she had in her hair

Here we are toasting the fabulous age of 6!

Then the hibachi chef came out.  Look how intently Gracie and Jacob are watching the hijinx.




This is the birthday volcano made for them:  It's a stack of onion rings.

The adults got into some hijinx too:  Sake! Sake! Sake!


We went back to Mama Helen's house for cake and presents.  They got new bike helmets from their (soon-to-be) stepdad.  Lori, I thought you'd enjoy these!


Then Jacob serenaded us with his saxophone.  I'm telling you, you haven't lived until you've had a 9 year old play the sax for you!


It really was a fun filled family evening.  One of those times when I found myself very grateful that we could make memories like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It never occurred to me when the doctor told me I'd have to have an MRI that I would actually be enclosed in the thing.  It's my foot that is having the MRI after all.  But on Friday, the hospital called me to go over some things and pre-register me and the woman asked me if I was claustrophobic.  Uh,  yes as a matter of fact I am.  She then explained that while my head will be out, my entire body will be encased.  So while I wasn't worrying about this a bit before, I'm now freaking out.  I'm not really sure what to do about this as I have got to get this test done.  But I honestly feel like throwing a tantrum about it.  Do any of you have any suggestions for me, short of taking a valium, which I don't have anyway?

Oh, and to add insult to injury, they wanted to collect $200 from me up front.  I told the woman no, I'd pay at time of service.  Anything could happen and what if I didn't go. I swear to you I just want this to be over! All of it - the treatments, the tests, the insult to my wallet, and the injury itself are starting to feel like torture.

19 comments:

  1. Helen what a lovely family Saturday you had. Thanks for sharing, loved the story and the pics.

    I have no tip for you, I'm not claustrophobic and wouldn't know what to advice you. And I wouldn't pay up front either. You're right not to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very claustrophobic (as in I avoid elevators like the plague and have walked 10 flights of stairs so as not to have to get on them), so I know what you're talking about. I had MRIs on both knees separately) back when I had my torn miniscuses and I was okay with my head out. I didn't love it, but if I was okay, I think you should be too. But a touch of valium doesn't sound entirely unpleasant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this is good to know, coming from a fellow claustrophobe!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a wonderful celebration! I am so envious ... my family is in Florida and Texas and I am in Georgia so we really make it count when we get together. I had an MRI for my knee and it really wasn't too bad. I meditate every morning and I found my happy place (on the beach) and the time passed pretty quickly. I find this is even more effective than valium. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen, don't back out of the MRI. You need that information. It does seem unfair when the treatment is as unpleasant as the injury. But DO ask for a single prescription for valium or something to relax you completely. I had an MRI for my back and I believe my head was in. I am not claustrophobic, but it was not pleasant--SOOO LOUD! I sang hymns to keep from getting anxious LOL. It does seem like having your head out will make it better.

    THAT SANDWICH looks amazing. I was just talking about BLT's with a lady at church yesterday! It must be a sign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Debby, it must be a sign if you've had the sandwich put in front of you two days in a row lol! Although mine was a BAT since I didn't think lettuce would do so well in the pannini maker.

      Delete
  5. Glad you had a wonderful family weekend! Does your town have any open MRI places? My mom got a referral to go to an open MRI place when she had to have one.

    Hopefully it won't last long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have open MRI here too but they were booked so far out I decided to go with the traditional because I didn't know I had to go in it! They told me 30-40 minutes. Sigh.

      Delete
  6. I can't believe how big Gracie has gotten...she was practically a baby when you started showing her picture on your blog, and now? Fancy boots (love!) and such a mature face. Don't even get me started on Jacob - he's ready to start driving, right? ;) What a fun evening y'all had!

    So the MRI. You're going to be fine. You know how I know? Because I had one, when I was well over 100 pounds heavier, and I managed to fit in it and not completely feel like I was being squeezed to death...and mine was for my brain. So you, with your head being out and your thin body? No problem. Although if they offer you ear plugs, take them up on it as that machine is LOUD! You HAVE to do this - you've gone too long with your foot issues to not get to the bottom of it.

    Of course, afterward you deserve a treat. Pink sparkle skirt??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of a treat for my longsuffering through the MRI. Hmmmmmmmm.....

      Delete
  7. What an awesome birthday - and I need me one of those mohawk helmets :D

    For the MRI, ask if you can bring your own headphones and music. Sometimes if you bring a CD, they can pipe in the music for you. Also, bring a sleep mask or something like that with some lavender or other scent that calms you down. Another option is to ask for an open MRI if there is one in your area. Do not back out, though. Even if it means bribing yourself with something as soon as you are finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are terrific ideas Lori - thanks!

      Delete
  8. Great post of a wonderful family celebration!
    Did you know Groton has an open MRI? I THINK it's still on Long Hill Road - took my Mom there several years ago, as she was very claustrophobic. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked the docs to get me first available because I want this over and done with. The open MRI was booked for a couple weeks out - which tells me folks don't like the MRI so much.

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful weekend Helen. First I want that sandwich - it looks and sounds amazing. You eat some of the best food!

    Great celebration with the kids and they are of course adorable. I love all of Gracie's bling. Kudos to Jacob for being able to perform for the family. It's fun to watch them grow up on your blog - thanks for sharing them with us.

    I have never had an MRI so I can't help you with that. I did however take a Tylenol PM by mistake right before a dental appointment and my dentist commented on how relaxed I was (I'm a dental phobe but make myself go anyway)when I told him what happened he joked and said maybe I was onto something and should do that everytime! Just sayin - it worked for me - but of course you shouldn't drive if you take something to relax you. I like Lori's idea of smelling lavender, if you have lavender oil you can put some under your nose. Will they let you put head phones on and listen to guided meditation or a relaxing CD? Remember when I had my root canal and my blood pressure when through the roof and the DR walked me through guided meditation, relaxed breathing and had me listen to relaxing musice. It calmed me right down.

    Thanks for your support on my foot issues. We are "foot pain sisters" and I am praying for both of us. I understand your frustration and just wanting to have this all behind you. Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. get frosted, then do the mri. Great pics of the kids' birthday. That does look very healthy. Maybe I should try it. What are you testing for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm testing for my first degree black belt in Muay Thai.

      Delete
  11. Looks like you had a great family celebration! I have had a couple of MRI's. I am also a little claustrophobic, but they gave me headphones with music which helped and I kept my eyes closed the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. those are bike helmets?!
    ID TAKE UP BIDING FOR THOSE....

    Ive never had an MRI but I do know if and when I do Ill be a meditating visualizing machine in there.

    FOCUSING MENTALLY ON WIDE OPEN SPACES.

    xo

    ReplyDelete