Saturday, November 24, 2012

Apple Cares

November 24: I am thankful for Apple Care.

My first iPhone was the 3G model.  I kept it for 3 1/2 years, never had a problem with it.  Last year, I upgraded to the iPhone 4 when the 4S model came out and the 4's price dropped.  At the time, I decided to purchase a $69 Apple Care program which would extend my warranty and also offered replacements at no charge if I had a software issue.  Yesterday, my phone stopped making sounds - you know the sounds you hear when you get a text or an email.  Then the ringer sounded very low.  After trying everything, I called Apple Care and they made me walk through a complete restore (again, as I'd already done that.)  Finally they conceded I had some sort of hardware/software combination and they are sending me a new phone.  If I didn't have the Apple Care, it would have cost me $35 for shipping, but because I do, no shipping fees. So while I have to put up with a silent-ish phone for a few days, at least a new one will be here soon.

But why would that make me thankful for Apple Care? If I didn't have it, I'd be paying for repair or a new phone.  Also, because this is the FOURTH replacement I've had in the last year.  Sigh.  The iPhone 4 and me are not getting along very well.  So 4 x $35 = $140 which means I've already recouped the full cost of my Apple Care program.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I just decided against getting apple cares for the new mini ipad. Maybe I'll go back and add that on before it ships. Thanks for sharing. And hope your new phone behaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always sign up for AppleCare. I dropped the first iPhone I had and broke the mute button off. We have a store nearby, and they replaced the whole phone instantly. Plus you get to use the Genius Bar for free whenever you need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you getting another 4, or the 4S? Glad the warranty program is working out so well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a choice as the program replaces exactly what you have. I'm not sure what would happen if this keeps going on and they evenually run out of 4s to give me lol!

      Delete