Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Nothing Compares to You

November 28: I am thankful that I have been able to run for the last 10 years.  While I have not been consumed by racing like some people,I have been blessed to do several races.  And, except for periods of injury, I have run nearly every day.  As an adult onset athlete, I am proud of that.

Thanksgiving Day I created my own little turkey trot and went out and did 5K. To make room for the food, of course! Initially I intended to walk but ended up throwing in several running intervals.  While my foot still isn't 100%, it felt better than it has to date. When I got home and looked at my time I started laughing and thought just how much running is a matter of perception.  Not that long ago I would have been upset with the time I finished in. But on that day, with my foot that is still healing, all I could think about was how much I love to run.  NOTHING will ever be able to take the place of running for me.  And I was glad and thankful for all the running in my past and the slow 5K I was able to do that morning.

My new running shoes, recommended by my doctor- Asics GT-2000


16 comments:

  1. "Adult onset athlete" -- still one of my favorite phrases of yours. :)

    Run, Helen, run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can run again, that's what counts for now.

    What's up with these shoes, both your and Shelley's new Brooks are so colorful. I can't even buy pink Brooks here and most of the times the colors are so dull. Maybe European runners don't buy bright shoes just the dull colors, I don't know.

    But I do know I love your shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These shoes are not Brooks Fran, they're Asics GT-2000. The other color option for this shoe was black so I had no problem choosing the purple!

      Delete
  3. SO glad your foot is feeling better...and I'm with you on perception. We're always told it's important for us not to compare ourselves to others, but it's also key not to compare ourselves to previous versions of ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that you just focused on your ability to run, and not the time - good for you!

    And I know I really need to get a new pair of running shoes - mine are already 3 years old! Happy hump day! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Adult onset athlete" love it!
    Hooray for small victories! And in spite of you injuries, you never give up!

    I am thinkful for you in this bloggy world!

    xo,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yippee Helen! I too am an Adult onset athlete - love that phrase. Great attitude and you have so much to be grateful for right now. I have been wearing Asics for years and now have the rest of the family also buying them. Love the color of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really IS all about the perception - and that also brings gratitude. So happy for you that you're back to running again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your new shoes. My brother swears by the Asics Gel Nimbus. Ever heard of those? I still haven't found any to try on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asics Gel Nimbus is my favorite shoe for marathon training Debby! As I'm not doing that distance right now and the doctor wanted me to have some stability for my injured foot I got these. I have generally have really good luck with Asics shoes.

      The trick to great shoes is not the name or style, it's making sure you're properly fitted. So, if you need a structured shoe and you're buying a neutral shoe, they won't be right for you. What you should do sometime when you go to a big city, find a Fleet Feet or other running shoe type store and have your foot evaluated.

      Delete
    2. LOL at "go to a big city." You know me too well!

      Delete
  9. I covet your love of the run.
    I do love PURPLE, however...

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you are feeling better and running happily again! The title of this post got me an ear worm. That Sinead O'Connor song!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for getting back to your routine. And your shoes are JAUNTY!!! Have a great day Helen. (sigh. Singing Sinead O' Connor in my head now. Ack!)

    ReplyDelete