Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Long Haul

November 14: While at times it can be frustrating to not see immediate results, I am grateful that I have the ability to be in 'it' for the long haul.  Whatever 'it' may be!

My BIF Shelley has told me many, many times that I'm too hard on myself and that I need to relax the all or nothingness that I tend to fall into.  The whole progress, not perfection thing you know.  It's hard for me in most instances.  The one exception I can think of is when I used to regularly train for distance racing.  Especially the marathon distance.  Anyone who has run 26.2 miles will tell you that no two miles are the same and so the runner has no choice but to just progress to the end.

I've often seen other bloggers buy themselves a little something as a reward for making a goal that they've met.  I don't usually do that because often even if I somehow make my goal, I'm dissatisfied with how I did it.  Another thing Shelley has fussed at me about.

The other day, I saw something that slapped me right upside my perfectionist head and I knew I had to have it.  Though I've even said these words it was like a lightbulb came on.  Probably because of the whole boot thing and then being out of the boot and still not completely healed and ready to go.  I'm having to accept that these things take time and time is what I have.  Progress not perfection, I am in it for the long haul. So I bought it as a reward for waiting out the boot and I'm wearing it everyday right now, as a reminder about so many things.


12 comments:

  1. I love it Helen!

    I never buy a reward for a goal that I didn't meet. It isn't a reward then, is it?

    I don't see this as a reward for something but as you say a beautiful reminder for many things. It's a mantra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in your head!!! :)

    What a great reminder about so many things in life. Very glad you treated yourself - you've been on one hell of long road with your health and fitness, and I know it's been hard for you to see yourself moving forward, but you are, and it's been inspiring to watch you persevere through the injuries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelley nailed it on all counts. I'm glad you got yourself something nice. It's a very nice reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful and perfect Helen. So many people would have just given up on physical fitness, but you haven't. I really admire you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The perfect piece of jewelry for Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So applicable for more than just a marathon :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy you bought that reminder that you are a rock star, even if sidelined for the moment.

    I too need to take a step back and appreciate the small successes - 10 days without my beloved wine, shaving 3+ minutes of my 5k in 10 days - those small successes will turn into big successes in time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where did you find it Helen? I love it, and really need the reminder to myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's part of the Alex and Ani line.

      Delete
  9. LOVE the bracelet. So glad you got it for yourself!!! Have a great day Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful little gift to yourself and SO TRUE!

    ReplyDelete