Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Ties that Bind

November 27: I am thankful that God saw fit to make me a mother.  Little Helen was and still is life-changing for me.

I never planned to be a mother.  In fact, when I married Little Helen's father, I said that I didn't want to have kids for at least 5-6 years.  Understandable as I was all of 18 1/2 years old.  9 months later, Little Helen was born and to this day I say it was an Act of God because God knew better than me what I needed.

I am not sure I ever really appreciated my own mother, until I became a mother myself.  It was (and still is) the hardest job I've ever had.  I know I screwed up plenty for sure.  Even now as she is an adult it can be challenging at times to strike the right balance.  But the bottom line for me is that motherhood, warts and all, has taught me just exactly what unconditional love is.

7 comments:

  1. Motherhood is the best job in the world for me and the biggest blessing. Even though my 2 are in their 20's they are still my babies. It still amazes me what I learn about myself through them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. While I never planned on Hannah (I was on the pill) she was meant to be and I cannot for a second imagine my life without her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the top 2 blessings in my life. What a great gift, and even better to recognize it as such.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was beautiful Helen. I too was a very young bride at age 19! I also said I didn't want kids and so we waited 6 years. I wouldn't change a thing. I love being a mother and must agree with you that it isn't an easy job.

    Little Helen is lucky to have you as her mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughter is incredibly lucky to have a mother who loves her unconditionally. I am not a mother and never wanted to be one, so I will never know what it's like, but I can say that being a stepmother has been both the hardest and best experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. amen to the appreciating taking until you (I) became a mother. Youre an amazing mother.

    ReplyDelete