Friday, December 14, 2012

Friday High Five

1. I am swamped people.  This is when I'm busy at work and with the black belt activities, which culminate Saturday with the show, I haven't had time to do much of anything that I should be doing, much less blog or comment on blogs (if I'm not commenting, I'm still reading when I can). I should get a bit of relief after tomorrow and I'm looking forward to that.

2.  In the midst of all the craziness, I had to say goodbye to this little munchkin.  I took her shopping and out for dinner.  I let her pick where we ate.  She chose Moe's Southwest Grill.  That was a totally different experience seeing it through a child's eyes.  Her mama said she cried the first day at her new school, which made her mama cry when she got in the car and made me cry when she told me about it.  As of today, I hear she's doing much better. I miss her so much already!


3.  Also in the midst of the craziness, I have managed to get my Christmas shopping done, mostly because Mr. Helen and I are not exchanging gifts this year as we're saving money for a big trip in the spring.  I did more online shopping than I've ever done in the past though. Last night I had one uninterrupted hour and managed to wrap about 4 things that we'd bought for nieces and nephews. It makes me tired just trying to figure out how I'm going to fit in the rest of it.

4.  Also in the midst of the craziness, we found time to go get our tree and get it decorated.  I had exactly one day to get it done and of course, it poured rain and was 60 degrees.  Nutty weather.  But it came out beautiful, I think.



5.  Another thing that has made it busier than usual is that on Tuesday, I went to a reception at the White House!   Once in a while it pays off in a major way that Little Helen is such a mover and shaker and this was one of those times.  Eventually, I promise to blog about it but I need to get her photos first because we collaborated.  Preview of coming attractions: the one photo taken with my iPhone.  I'm in the China Room.


13 comments:

  1. Saw your visit to the White House on FB and I'm not the jealous kind but this time I thought: how cool, wish I could do that.

    Sorry to hear Gracie and her brother left now. I'm sure you are going to miss them but they will miss you too.

    R. and I never exhange gifts at Christmas. I don't really see the point in doing that. it's more important that we are together during the holidays than giving gifts to each other.

    Have fun at the ceremony Sunday. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy, you have deserved it 1000%

    ReplyDelete
  2. how cute cute is the munchkin too.
    and it almost made ME CRY reading that .... and knowing mine is starting a new school soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one adorable munchkin! Um reception at the White House!!! How exciting Helen. You look fantastic. I can't wait to read more. Your tree looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been SLAMMED this December - but slammed with amazing, once-in-a-lifetime activities, so it's a good kind of slam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Gracie. Reminds me when Hannah started kindergarten. I assumed I'd be going with her and staying with her, it never dawned on me to tell her otherwise.

    When I kissed her to say goodbye she started crying, but I had to catch my train so I had to leave her in tears. This happened for the first couple weeks, and I just imagined her sitting at her desk, tears streaming down her face.

    I then got a note home that said "Hannah now stops crying by the time she hangs up her coat." That made me feel okay about it.

    YOUR TREE IS GORGEOUS! Come hell or high water, Tony is getting me into my attic - I told Shelley it's going to look like snowmen threw up all over my house and I can't wait!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Christmas tree is gorgeous! It looks like you painted the room just as a perfect backdrop for the tree!

    And how did you get your tree into the white house??

    I can hardly wait to hear about your White house visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I have been out of the loop as I didn't know Gracie was moving. That is heart breaking. Kids are so good at adapting and she will make friends soon and things will be better.

    Love your tree Helen - so pretty! Looking forward to hearing about your White House tour - that is so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tree is very pretty and sparkly. I love the star on top. I can't wait to hear about your trip to the White House.
    By the way, I have had a chance now to go through all the parts of your black belt test. I was blown away. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a December to Remember for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Christmas tree looks as good as the one in the White House. And you look even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a December you've had! Watershed moments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. NO WAY HELEN!!!! WOW....can't wait to read about the White House visit. Your last few weeks have been monumental.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look lovely, and busy, and your house is as festive as ever! Sweet Grace.

    ReplyDelete