2. Actual Facebook status update written by an 18 year old friend. Though he meant it literally, get ready because this will make you think:
3. Since the Power Weekend when I tested for 6 hours for my black belt, I made a conscious decision not to be too exercise driven. I really want my foot to finish healing up. So, I'm not doing two-a-day exercising. If I want to go to a Muay Thai class, that's all I do that day. If I want to get up and run, that's it. I think it's working because I've had a couple of days where I realized at the end of the day I didn't even notice my foot all day long! This is an unusual place for me to be as normally in December I'm pushing hard with the running to make a yearly mileage goal. I'm not worried though. Heal up 100% and there will be lots of running opportunities in 2013.
4. This is such a great idea, I am seriously contemplating doing it!
5. This is the ornament that is tickling my fancy every single time I look at my tree this year. Mr. Helen bought it for me a couple years ago but I think it just found the perfect spot on the tree this year and it's making me happy.
6. On my recent visit to Little Helen, I took the train. It's about a 7 hour ride. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Amtrak is modern. There was free wi-fi and plugs. Next time I'll bring my laptop. I was unpleasantly surprised to discover that the passengers are modern too. There was a woman who got on the train in New York City and talked, non-stop, on her cell phone. She literally made one call after another until we both got off in Washington, DC - about a 4 hour time frame. Made me understand the reason why they now offer a quiet car: no conversations or cell phone use allowed!
7. Can't remember if I mentioned it or not but I lost 6 pounds from Friday-Sunday of my black belt testing. Here's the good news: I haven't gained it back and I've lost 4 more. Leaves me 12 to lose to get back to pre-foot injury weight. But here's the great news: I haven't been dieting at all, just eating sensibly. I am also certain my return to exercise put a stop to stress eating and drinking. No desire to drink when I want to get up at 4 am to run. Looking for this trend to continue!
8. Did you see this video? If not, click click click. You just can't help but smile. The Roots playing kids instruments make it worth the watch.
9. Three hardest things I've ever done that rank equally in how hard they were to finish: give birth to Little Helen, run my first marathon, my black belt test. After all three I said I'd never do it again. I was right about giving birth, wrong about running another marathon. Does this mean black belt testing is the tie breaker?
10. I tied one on and I did it in front of 600 people! See the single red stripe on my uniform arm and pant leg? That means I'm a first degree black belt. The belt is a pretty good indication as well. This is the Shihan presenting me at the Spectacular on Saturday. Very proud to have earned it!