Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Tuesday Ten

1. Actual photo that a friend of mine posted on Facebook.  Taken at her house; not photo-shopped or retouched.  Look carefully - click on it to make it bigger if you need to.


2. Actual Facebook status update written by an 18 year old friend.  Though he meant it literally, get ready because this will make you think:

How am i supposed to do anything with my life if i cant get my car out of park?!?!?!?!


3.  Since the Power Weekend when I tested for 6 hours for my black belt, I made a conscious decision not to be too exercise driven.  I really want my foot to finish healing up.  So, I'm not doing two-a-day exercising.  If I want to go to a Muay Thai class, that's all I do that day.  If I want to get up and run, that's it.  I think it's working because I've had a couple of days where I realized at the end of the day I didn't even notice my foot all day long!  This is an unusual place for me to be as normally in December I'm pushing hard with the running to make a yearly mileage goal.  I'm not worried though.  Heal up 100% and there will be lots of running opportunities in 2013.

4.  This is such a great idea, I am seriously contemplating doing it!


5. This is the ornament that is tickling my fancy every single time I look at my tree this year.  Mr. Helen bought it for me a couple years ago but I think it just found the perfect spot on the tree this year and it's making me happy.


6. On my recent visit to Little Helen, I took the train.  It's about a 7 hour ride.  I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Amtrak is modern.  There was free wi-fi and plugs.  Next time I'll bring my laptop.  I was unpleasantly surprised to discover that the passengers are modern too.  There was a woman who got on the train in New York City and talked, non-stop, on her cell phone.  She literally made one call after another until we both got off in Washington, DC - about a 4 hour time frame.  Made me understand the reason why they now offer a quiet car:  no conversations or cell phone use allowed!

7.  Can't remember if I mentioned it or not but I lost 6 pounds from Friday-Sunday of my black belt testing. Here's the good news:  I haven't gained it back and I've lost 4 more.  Leaves me 12 to lose to get back to pre-foot injury weight.  But here's the great news:  I haven't been dieting at all, just eating sensibly.  I am also certain my return to exercise put a stop to stress eating and drinking.  No desire to drink when I want to get up at 4 am to run.  Looking for this trend to continue!

8. Did you see this video?  If not, click click click.  You just can't help but smile.  The Roots playing kids instruments make it worth the watch.


9. Three hardest things I've ever done that rank equally in how hard they were to finish: give birth to Little Helen, run my first marathon, my black belt test. After all three I said I'd never do it again.  I was right about giving birth, wrong about running another marathon.  Does this mean black belt testing is the tie breaker?

10. I tied one on and I did it in front of 600 people!  See the single red stripe on my uniform arm and pant leg?  That means I'm a first degree black belt.  The belt is a pretty good indication as well. This is the Shihan presenting me at the Spectacular on Saturday. Very proud to have earned it!

20 comments:

  1. And I'm proud of you Helen. I've said it before: you totally deserved it!

    That first pic is really cute. At first I thought it was a pic Lori made of Pixie :) Or it could be something Neva would do :)

    For years now I write down something positive that happened on a day in a notebook because there's always something to find that's positive or thankful for in a day. At the end of the year I look through my notebook to be reminded what I've written down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so stinking cool. For the record, cool just autocorrected to fool....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been cool lately but more often I'm 'fool.' ;)

      Delete
  3. I love the jar idea. With my memory the way it is lately, I should try this. You sound like you are in a great place right now. I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen there is so much good stuff in this post. It made me smile from ear to ear to read it all. Love the kitty peeking out of the tree -that is adorable.

    Great idea to cut back on the exercise and let your foot continue to heel. I know how difficult that can be but you are doing the best thing for your foot. How awesome to have a couple days pain free.

    Congrats on the weight loss without dieting. That is amazing and I know it gives you a huge mental boost.

    Thank you for sharing that jar idea - focusing on the positive is always a good idea.

    Congrats on your black belt - it was hard earned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cat is hilarious!

    Funny how weight can come off easier when we aren't stressing about it or doing a bunch of extra exercise (other than your belt weekend).

    Can you further test for other black belt levels? Maybe it isn't over yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can test for as many levels as I'd like. However, the higher the belt, the harder the material and as I've seen Mr. Helen test all the way to Third Degree I know how hard it gets. Not sure how I feel about that quite yet :D

      Delete
  6. Happy for you and all that you've accomplished:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, I love the cat in the tree - how funny! And I am still jumping over joy at your black belt - you should be so proud of yourself!

    And the fact that your foot is healing is great - you have the best approach going on - the key word is sensible! I had a blog friend who was counting points, calories, etc. until it drove her nuts.

    She stopped. She ate her servings of fruit and veggies, indulged in a meal maybe once a week instead of every day, and in six months she's lost 40 pounds and couldn't be happier. Actually eating like a normal person!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the kitty in the tree and I'm so glad your foot is getting better and better. You are awesome getting your black belt.

    Stress is definitely a hindrance to weight loss. I proved that to myself for two long years in a stressful job.

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post of yours today made me smile and feel good.

    I cannot thank you enough.

    Still SOOOO proud of you for your black belt achievement. Words alone cannot express it enough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cat is all "WHAT" too funny!!!

    Glad to hear that you're easing up a tiny bit on the exercise - I know your poor foot thanks you! And how fantastic on the unexpected weight loss - best kind, when you're not killing yourself to make it happen, either. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the kitty in the tree :-)

    Also love taking the train (and can't WAIT to hear more about your visit to the White House...hint hint)

    You've done three very hard things, none of which I've ever done...I bow to your toughness and perseverance!

    ReplyDelete
  12. #3--I am so glad you are continuing to let your foot heal. You will be so happy when the spring comes and you can get out there and RUNRUNRUN to your heart's content!

    #7. Hmmm. Maybe I need to test for my black belt to get the weight off a little faster? Only thing is, I don't think testing for a black belt in quilting would have quite the same effect...

    #8. Thank you for this--I did smile all the way through!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Helen I'm so proud of you!!!!! That test must have been absolutely grueling! You totally deserve the weight loss. I hope your foot continues to heal. I know way too much about how hard that is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A BIG congratulations on the black belt. That's quite an achievement! Wow!

    Love the picture of the kitty in the tree. Cute. So far mine has stayed out. Or she's only doing it when I'm not around. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The last photo is the BEST PICTURE EVER!!!! Congrats Helen!!!! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. HELEN YOU ARE SO AMAZING.
    Ive thought so much about you and all youve done (does that freak you out? :-)) and it's prompted me to look for a martial arts class the child and I can do together when we move.

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it doesn't freak me out at all. I'm just a little bit verklempt that you would think of me as inspiration. I hope you find a great dojo. Martial arts are definitely a great thing to do together as a family! Each time we have candidates test for black belt there are generally a couple of parent-child combinations which I think is wonderful!

      Delete
  17. Woohoo congrats again on becoming a black belt. You kick a** in more ways than one! :)

    I love that jar idea. Might have to steal it for myself this year!

    ReplyDelete