Wednesday, January 30, 2013

January Thaw

After weeks of bone chilling cold, it was 47 degrees this morning at 4:30.  I had looked out the window when I was pouring my coffee, saw the roads were wet and assumed the rain that is coming in today and tomorrow had started.  When I stepped out the door 15 minutes later (headed for the treadmill) and realized it was not raining but was just warm, humid, and the road wetness was because all the ice and snow had melted, I turned right back around, got my headlamp and reflective vest and ran outside.

As I happily ran along, I got to thinking about perspective again because my current 'running' pace is my old 'jogging' pace.  But the perceived effort is as if I'm working hard so I know this is the best I can do for now. This is not really unexpected based on my current weight and coming off of months of injury and I reminded myself of that.  

The great news is that the prednisone I've been taking seems to have not only helped my bronchial pathways but also my lower back.  Additionally, I've noticed that the touch of achiness I usually have in my thumbs (which my RN brother long ago diagnosed as the beginnings of arthritis) is nearly non-existent.  I think this is worth noting and talking in depth about with my doctor on my next visit in March.

The result is that not only did I have the best Muay Thai Boxing class last night that I can remember but this morning, after 10 long months, I had a completely pain free run.  No pain in my foot before, during or after, no pain in my back, no gasping for breath.  

I swear to you I could feel my very soul thawing out as I ran along.


17 comments:

  1. OH GOODNESS.
    Im happy for you.
    Im stealing those last 11 words to ponder today. I need a thaw.


    Miz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post, very hopeful :) Glad you are feeling good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you that you were able to run outside, must have been a fantastic feeling.

    I didn't know you are taking prednisone. I'm not a fan of this medicine, it's garbage but it helps. One of the side effects is weight gain. My MIL uses this medicine too and she gained at least 20 lbs since she started using this. Now isn't she active but I'm just saying, keep an eye on this. My Dad used it too when he was treated for cancer, his side effects were smaller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm well aware of the side effects of prednisone. I am not "ON" prednisone, it's a 6 day course only. Last pill is Friday morning.

      Delete
    2. 6 days is not bad, sorry didn't know exactly.

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, there is nothing like a good run to clear everything out! How freaking WONDERFUL that nothing hurt. :)

    I'm not a fan of prednisone, but short-term, it does miraculous things. And it's about time...you were due for something good, health-wise, for a change!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swear I could feel my soul thawing as I read your words! Did you know I'm doing the kickbox express thing? Loving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I still have not managed to get in for that yet. January has been an odd month for nighttime workouts for me :D

      Delete
  6. I love the line of your soul thawing!! Ah prednesone - that is Tony's wonder drug - I wish he could take it forever, it makes all the difference in his walking.

    Thanks for the link for the pulled pork! My grandpa was from Eastern North Carolina, so vinegar ran through his blood - that's probably why I like it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, perspective indeed. Calling 47 degrees warm and humid--I know, compared to -2, it is warm and humid! Its hard for me to go for a walk in 47 degree weather. I know, I'm a wimp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is beautiful Helen. You so deserve to feel this good! I can't wait to experience some of the same. You give me hope!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice to read that the treatment is working on other things as well as your breathing!

    Nice to feel "nothing" for a change, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was wondering if the Prednisone would possibly alleviate other issues. It's an amazing and horrific medication all at the same time. I know you're only on a short course, but I'm glad you were able to get a little unexpected relief all the same.

    This weather is crazy. It is warmer here too in Western Mass, but when I stepped outside I nearly flew off my front steps which had turned into a sheet of ice over night. Our roads are still lined with snow and ice so I decided to go to the gym instead, but I sure miss my outdoor runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would wonder that nurse Aimee. Of course I'm pretty sure after Friday I won't have the same relief but that is what the PT will be for and fix, hopefully!

      Delete
  11. WONDERFUL post Helen. VERY VERY happy that you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for the winter starting to thaw, in more ways than one. :)

    ReplyDelete