Thursday, January 31, 2013

Rutabaga Hash Browns

Even though I've chosen not eat 100% Paleo, I do eat an awful lot of Paleo-type recipes, because I like them.  One of my favorite Paleo recipe blogs is paleOMG.  She is quite creative in the things that she comes up with. So creative she's getting ready to release her first cookbook.

Last week she had a recipe for what she called Egg Nests and as soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted to try it.  Well, I'm not sure what I did wrong but I just couldn't get it to come out the way she did.  No matter though, I'm creative and experienced enough in the kitchen to go with the flow. Basically, you peel and shred rutabaga, then add some seasonings and what you end up with is very, very similar to hash browns.

A rutabaga is a root vegetable that is a cross between a cabbage and a turnip.  Both the root and the leafy greens are edible, though you've most likely only seen the root in your grocery store.  They look like this:



Rutabaga "Hash Browns"
(2 servings)

    1 medium rutabaga, peeled
    2 small shallots, thinly sliced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 T olive oil

Peel rutabaga then cut into chunks and feed into food processor with the shredding attachment. If you don't have a food processor you can use a hand grater.

Slice shallots and mince garlic. Heat olive oil in a large skillet (cast iron is great if you have one). Put the shallots and garlic into the hot skillet and saute for 1 minute. Add the shredded rutabaga, stir well, then let cook without touching for a minute or so. Stir again and let cook without touching. Continue to do this until the mixture is golden.


One I had these cooked, I put about 3/4 cup in a small casserole dish and cracked an egg on top.  Put it in a 400-degree oven and then baked it for 15 minutes.  


The end result of this recipe came out so good that it will go into my regular repertoire.  Next time I'm making a double batch as I can see myself not only eating this as a breakfast but also as a side dish.  Yummy!

15 comments:

  1. HUH!!
    I wonder if the child would eat? I know (sad face) the husband would not.


    Miz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to put rutabaga on the veggie experiment list! I wonder how these would be done in the waffle iron for instant hash browns??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rutabagas (or baggies, as my mother-in-law used to call them). They are also a great substitute for mashed potatoes, when boiled, diced, and mashed. I've never heard of the hash brown recipe, so I will definitely try it. Also, they are great in broth soups, when cut into chunks, because they soak up the broth and have a melty buttery taste after cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks awesome and is definitely something I'm going to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea - they look just like hash browns! Did they taste pretty much like them? I'm not sure I've had rutabaga before...although I do like the word. Roootabagggaaa /Buddy the Elf voice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say they taste exactly like potatoes, but it is a starchy squash so it's similar. I just have this thing about saying "oh instead of eating this eat that" because sometimes, only the real food will do. I think if I was seriously craving real hash browns, these would just piss me off to be honest LOLOL! But they're good, very very good and a great way to add more vegetables to the diet, right?

      Delete
  6. LOL at Shelley's comment.

    I've never had them either. I've heard of sub'ing radishes for potatoes. But I don't quite trust that. I think I can get behind the rutabaga. It would be lovely to have some hashed browns! But NO EGG ON TOP! Scrambled well, to the side, not touching! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shelley is hilarious!!!! This looks so good. I've done something similar with butternut squash. Grated it, cooked it then browned and crisped it in a non stick pan. Bring on the root vegetables. Or, in Shelley voice "roooooooot" vegetables. Have a great day Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love rutabaga - my mom used to mash it with salt, pepper and butter after boiling it tender. Delish. Am heading over to check out that blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not sure I've ever had a rutabaga! I think I would love this - maybe with some chopped jalapeno! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can honestly say that I've never had a rutabaga.....I'm going to rectify that with this recipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love rutabagas and usually just steam them and we eat them as a side dish in place of potatoes. This looks so creative and delicious - love the egg baked on top. What a fun and festive breakfast!

    I will have to check out that website - thank you for sharing Helen. We like a lot of the same foods and flavor profiles. I have been thinking about that zucchini quiche type casserole recipe that I got from you - bought some zucchini so I can make it again. We love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a real rutabaga freak (ok call me weird). I had no idea that I could do anything else with it other than mashing it. The recipe sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love her blog too! She's so creative and funny.

    Hmmm.....looks a lot like hash browns to me! Gonna have to try this. I was wondering the same thing as Lori. I've seen people on Pinterest make hash browns with a waffle iron. Sounds like a good experiment.
    Love how perfectly the egg came out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a GREAT idea! I am always at a loss as to what to do with root vegetables besides roast them. I want to try this!

    ReplyDelete