Monday, February 4, 2013

Anatomy of a Burpee and other Anatomy Lessons


My post on Rutabaga "Hash Browns" brought other ideas for its uses in the comments.  Several people mentioned mashed.  I am so not a "mashed" fan.  Not potatoes, not cauliflower, not nuttin' honey.  I think it's a texture thing.  This is serious enough for me that I refuse mash in restaurants and if they can't sub with something I like, I do without.  Also, if I had Thanksgiving at my house, we would not have mashed potatoes.  I know, it's blasphemy isn't it?  Believe me, when I tell people I don't like mashed potatoes they look at me like I've got two heads.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For those of you worried about my Prednisone intake last week, you will be glad to know it did what it was prescribed to do:  help my bronchial issues.  Even though I also got some other unexpected relief, as the dosage decreased, my back issue flared right up.  Oh, it was sad to wake up Thursday and feel the beginnings of it and even sadder to get up Friday with it on full force.  I enjoyed those two whole glorious days of no pain at all.  I started PT on Friday.  You know the saying that it gets worse before it gets better?  Yeah, that would have been me Saturday morning.  Trying very hard not to feel discouraged and just wait this out hoping the PT works.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was going through my iPhone photos the other day and discovered that Mr. Helen had used it to take some photos of me doing burpee-pushups during the black belt testing.  This was the session where it was 27 degrees and dark outside.  I put them together in a collage so you can see the progression from upright and beginning to head down all the way through to the jump up.  I especially like the third one down when I'm on the ground. Something about that car headlight sort of emphasizes how miserable it was.  And the fourth one where you can see my feet actually off the ground.  Not too bad for action photos with an iPhone in the dark!
I still can't believe I took and passed that test, even though every time I go to Muay Thai I strap on my new black belt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So it seems my body is liking my new attitude of eating and exercising for health instead of weight loss.  Color me shocked that I lost 4.2 pounds in January.  I can't believe that either, but I'll take it.


14 comments:

  1. You definitely should take the loss :) I should be glad with it.

    Fun to see you do the burpees and impressed too because I totally suck at them :)

    Sorry to hear the back pain came back, NOT FUN AT ALL. I do hope it will get better soon though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the attitude too.
    it's what FINALLY CHANGED MY LIFE.

    ad I can also sadly relate to the back.

    GENTLE hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Building a new healthy life style....congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SWEET! Congrats on the weight loss!!!

    Those burpee pictures bring back a lot of memories for me...blergh! I love that you are still so elated at your black belt - hold onto that feeling!

    And my fingers are crossed that the PT irons out all the kinks in your back so that pain goes away for good.

    P.S. Not even rustic mashed potatoes? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Workout by headlights... that is Army stuff right there!
    You look great and all the progress you are making is just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay so happy to hear on the loss! I agree with Shelley - hold on to that black belt feeling because you did it!! Burpees in the dark? yeah you definitely earned it! Feel BETTER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to get rutabagas at the store--waaaaaa!

    That is a great weight loss for one month!

    And the back. Very sorry about that. Hopefully the PT will work. I've found that if I don't keep doing the PT exercises, the pain comes right back. Makes me kinda sad. And then I do the exercises all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I can agree about mashed cauliflower, not liking mashed potatoes? Wha?? That's okay - more mashed potatoes for me!

    Woop on the 4.2! You are a bad ass Helen - the pictures show it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Helen, so sorry the back pain returned! You look hard core in the workout photos! I love them! Congrats on the scale love too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like mashed potatoes either!!

    Sorry your pain is back...

    And I am not surprised at all...that's the power of acceptance!! Tee-hee!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Burpees - dislike with the heat of 1000 suns!

    Congrats on the loss. Putting weight loss further on the back burner sometimes brings it to the front Woot!

    Hope the PT does you good. Do everything they say to do at home as well. Get your money's worth, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In my experience, changing the focus of exercise usually results in all sorts of great rewards!

    I'm in awe of your burpees. I've done exactly two in the past five years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ahhh burpees...hell on earth. Great job on the black belt of course...My testing was only three hours, but It was for a black stripe on a white belt..not a black belt. Hope your back feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We seem to alternate every other year between mashed potatoes on odd years and funeral potatoes on even years. I'm just glad the only thing I'm required to do is cut the turkey:)

    ReplyDelete