Monday, February 11, 2013

"I Survived the Blizzard of '78" and 2013!

Those of you who may have been around in 1978 during the blizzard that hit New England, you'll remember the t-shirts and bumper stickers that were around marking the occasion.  I didn't buy a t-shirt but I sort of wish I had - it would be a collector's item now!  Fact:  The Blizzard of '78 hit New England February 5-8; the Blizzard of 2013 hit New England February 7-8.  Those dates might be a good time to plan a trip to the Caribbean, no?

Thought I'd share a few of the photos I took.  I know for those of you who don't get snow or see it much, it looks pretty.  I'll agree with that.  But to be honest, it SUCKS to shovel it and deal with the aftermath.  We were fortunate to, once again, keep power but there were 37,000 people within a 10 mile radius of us who lost power and still did not have it back by Sunday.  It was 4 degrees here overnight Saturday-Sunday.

With no further ado, scenes from my home.

View out my kitchen window, which is the North East side of the the house. Nemo was a Nor'easter.  This was when it had really picked up and the wind was starting to howl.


We heard noise outside so looked out our front window and the neighborhood kids had decided to sled down our hill in the midst of the storm.

View out the kitchen window the next morning.  Yep. a couple feet of snow.

Mr. Helen went out to run the snowblower and I didn't hear any noise so I stuck my head outside to find to out why.  The snowblower we have is small and is not meant for this kind of snow.  Not to mention that about the first 6" was heavy, wet snow, packed down with a layer of ice. That meant I had to go out and help.  Sigh.  There goes my plans to lay around and read... I get outside and he tells me to go work on the opposite end of the driveway so that he can back his truck up (my car was in the garage).  While I'm doing that, I can hear him continuing to try the snowblower - and cussing because some drive gear broke.  I just kept plugging along and voila!

I did all of this by myself, then he came over and tried to tell me how to continue and where to throw the snow.  Oh no he didn't!!  I just looked at him and he put his shovel down and walked away...

It ended up taking us 8 man hours to do our driveway:  he was outside by himself for an hour before I got out there, then we worked on it for 3 hours together.  He came in for a bite to eat, then went back outside for one more hour to sort of finesse it - THEN he left and went to his father's house to do that driveway, which took him another 3 hours.  Poor Mr. Helen was literally outside messing with snow for 8 hours.

When we came inside, I heated up a leftover cup of coffee and put some of this in it. I didn't even care that it was only 1:30 in the afternoon -  it hit the spot!  

While Mr. Helen was at his father's doing that driveway, I made him this cinnamon roll cake.  I am not going to repost the recipe as I'm sure most of you wouldn't make it in a million years what with all the butter and sugar in it.  Click on that link if you really want the recipe.  I did have a small piece and it was very, very good!


Newspaper headline on Sunday morning

Front of our house - the sky is always so blue after a storm

Northeast side of the house - see the divot on the roof?  Big bogs of ice and snow were falling off the house all day on Sunday

Closeup of the Northeast side of the house


A look up our hill.  Our house is the first one on the left.  We were blessed because our street is considered troublesome and dangerous so they plowed it like crazy.  We were the only street in our neighborhood with a bit of pavement showing.

The street right at the bottom of our hill.  Look at what people who don't have off street parking are dealing with!


Oh my poor patio!

I can't wait for summer!!

16 comments:

  1. wow.
    I survived 78 in PGH and then we got two feet one year...I think it was 93...and I LEFT THE EAST COAST :-)
    never to return.
    yet.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say, the blue of your house looks gorgeous with the snowy roof and all the snow around it. Quite the pretty picture. :)

    YOU GO GIRL with your snow shoveling. LOVE that you silenced Mr. Helen with his "directions" - quite clear you did NOT need any! Still, I can't imagine. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Shelley: the color of your house and the snow and blue sky after the storm is so pretty. I love your house.

    Girl you got a lot of snow. Honestly I have never experienced so much snow, can't even imagine how much it is.

    You made me laugh when you silenced Mr. Helen because it sounds so familiar with how things go at my home. You both did some heavy hard work on Saturday, no extra workout needed there.

    I hope this was it for you and you won't get anymore snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a workout! I know you hate the aftermath, but that snow, the blue sky and your beautiful home are just postcard pretty. As is that cinnamon bun cake. Your silencing of Mr. Helen? Also very pretty.

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Great report! LOVE the winter/summer pics of the patio. And talk about functional exercise! You win the prize this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lot of snow! In February 2011 we got about 18 inches of snow and it took Hannah, Tony and I about 2 hours total WITH a snow blower and shovels. So crazy! And um, for the record, that cinnamon casserole looks insulin worthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So laughing at the look you gave Mr. Helen. That is totally what I would have done. Actually, I would have probably given the hand along with the look :D

    Snow shoveling burns a lot of calories and I can't believe you only had a small piece of that caaaaaaake!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And on second look, I might have drizzled some of the eggnog liqueur onto the cinnamon roll cake. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you survived them both! I got sunburned on Saturday :) Your house is adorable and I'm just going to pretend I didn't see that cake - it made me drool a little.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay to surviving the storm! Boo to husbands that give "instructions" (I have one of those too!)
    I did think about how you were doing during the storm, the reports we got were the entire state of Conn was suffering some sort of serious problem.
    I will be clicking on that link, that cake looks too good! After all the shoveling I'd say you could have a piece of it as well as that egg nog-straight up!

    BTW-that is my favorite egg nog, I get a case of it every year to share and (mostly) keep!

    xo,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shoveling snow is very hard work! You got in plenty of exercise doing that. Glad you made it through ok. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy smokes, that's a lot of snow! (understatement) LOVE the pics of snow and sun though. You have a super cute house Helen!!! Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love to have a pretty home like yours...only in a beach community in the South. :) I would NOT deal with that amount of snow very well at all. Down here, we just sweep ours away or let it melt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a lot of snow Helen! You burned a ton of calories with all the snow removal. Your home is lovely - what a pretty blue.

    I am so glad we don't have to deal with snow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Think of all the exercise you got! :-) Yes, it is pretty...but a pain in the arse after the first awe at the beauty passes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was thinking about you as I was getting all the snow reports and photos from my CT family and friends on FB. Glad you didn't lose power, but boy that was a brutal storm!
    I remember the blizzard of 78 very well, too. We didn't have school for nearly two weeks!

    ReplyDelete