Friday, February 22, 2013

My Winter of Discontent

I've been trying to decide if this winter has felt so hard because last winter was so mild, or if my actual dislike of winter has finally peaked.  This will the the third weekend that we will have two days of storming, though it's looking now like we are going to 'only' have snow then sleet then rain.  Still doesn't make for anything pleasant and certainly means I won't be able to run outside.  As much as I prefer not to run on my treadmill, I am very glad I have one that I can go out the back door to and not have to drive to.

Someone suggested to be that perhaps I should look into light therapy but I know it wouldn't make a difference.  Every single day I sit in an office where one entire wall is a window and I look out on a beautiful marina and the sun pours in.  Here's a shot I took yesterday, which doesn't show a whole lot of my view because I was trying to show how hard the wind was blowing by the fact that the flags are straight out. Yes, the windchill was wicked!


So while I may not be outside in it, I'm definitely getting sunshine in my eyeballs.    I honestly do think I just cannot abide winter any more and it's looking like I will definitely be doing what I've threatened for years:  once I retire, go south from January to April.  Even if I have to rent something I just don't want to be here anymore during this season.  It honestly makes me crazy that my daffodils are under about a foot of snow right now.  Even if they were trying to show that spring is on the way, they can't. Only 15 more years of work then I can leave!

Anyway, I really hate it when bloggers just disappear so I've written this to say that I'm not going to blog for a while.  I'm not even going to try to figure out when I'll write again.  You know my blog is sort of like the diary I used to have as a kid (the kind with a flap lock and a little key) - I'd go on a tear and write for months and then, I'd just put it down.  So that's what I'm doing for now, putting the blog down.

Some of it is due to the fact that I don't want to be a tired, whiny blogger and that's what I'm feeling like right now.  The other part is that I have some personal things I'm working on and I'd rather concentrate on those things than try to figure out what to write in my diary.

If you really want to get in touch, I'm available via email, which you can find if you poke around here. Until then, à bientôt.

24 comments:

  1. I get it. I keep thinking I should check in, and may do so soon, but the spirit isn't really moving me to do that yet. Enjoy the respite, and hopefully winter is getting kicked to the curb in a big hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Real life always trumps blog life. Enjoy your break Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep entertaining the idea of quitting too. I seem to be struggling with subject matter, we are trying to buy a house for retirement and my eyes are giving me more problems than ever. I will definitely miss your blog. I wish you the very best in all that you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll still be here. I am sorry you are having such the winter blues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, sometimes I need to put down the blog and just live. For me, it's the living that allows the blogging to make sense. Enjoy your respite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dejected mood thingy can be hormonal or by a vitamin deficiency. Many years ago I lost interest in everything, and all of a sudden. I was talking with my doctor and she ordered blood work to measure vitamin D levels. I was severely deficient in vitamin D. So I've been on vitamin D supplements ever since. Google it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know we'll be here when you're ready to return. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate winter more each year myself. I'll be here waiting when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not a fan of winter either and our winters are mild. We get snowbirds here every year! Good thing you have your treadmill so close!

    Enjoy your bloggy hiatus. I'll be here when you return! I might even put up a post or 2!

    xo,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe some Vitamin D? Sorry you're feeling a little blue. It happens. Spring is around the corner. :)

    Looking forward to future blog posts. I still need to make your gyros recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending a big hug Helen, and looking forward to your posts when you come back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking forward to your return, Helen. I hope your hiatus is helpful to you. I shall miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Helen I will miss you! Ditto about the Vitamin D - found out mine was low and have been taking a supplement and seeing an improvement!

    I have cut back to only posting once or twice a week. Right now I am trying to get my life back - establish a work out routine, have my daily walks, hiking on the weekends and sitting less.

    Since I have freed myself up from a posting schedule, reading blogs and leaving comments I feel so much better. If I do have time to post I do - if not that's okay too.

    Wishing you well as you work things out. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will miss your blog posts Helen - just today I was thinking back to one of your old posts. It was snowy, cold, and I just didn't feel like going to the gym today.

    But I rested yesterday and I know me - two missed days could easily morph into five! You wrote about how exercise "is not an option." I got my keys and went and swam for 30 minutes and it felt great!

    I'll still stalk you on Facebook - you can't lose me that easy!

    Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You will be missed but you must take care of yourself first! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally and completely understand. I just came back from a month-long blogging hiatus, and I feel much more energized about writing again. I will definitely be here when you return!.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm going to miss you Helen but I'll wait patiently for your return. In the meantime I still have you on FB.

    I totally understand your winter blues, have some of it myself. Light therapy isn't my answer either, I'm outside every day.

    I hope you will have a great birthday Saturday with lots of sunshine.

    Take care sweety.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally get it. I will miss your posts and I hope a spring will give you a new burst of energy! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't think I ever commented on your blog but am a devoted reader. I like how you express yourself. Helen, you are so NORMAL in your ups and downs. Most women are. It seems to me you have a bad case of the winter blues and your enthusiasm for everything will return in the Spring.

    I am going to miss your posts but I understand you wanting to take a break. I will wait for your return and I think I will hear the "smile" in your words when you come back.

    I wish you good health, happy thoughts and many days of sunshine ahead.

    Be Well, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I miss reading about your joys, sorrows, frustrations, happiness and your very cool life.

    Be well every day and all day, Helen

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just found your blog and now you are taking a break?! I live in central New York state, not too far from Lake Ontario, so we get snow snow snow, and I am tired of winter too. Spring is sweeter for us though I think. I will be checking in when you come back, enjoy your break.

    Della

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hope life is treating you well, Helen. I miss your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Is it Spring there yet, Helen. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete