Thursday, February 7, 2013

Simply Smashing!

I make a mean oven baked Swiss Steak, even if I do say so myself.  It's one of the dishes I sort of rotate in the winter because you can make it ahead and when you reheat to eat, it tastes just as good - or even better because the vegetable sauce tastes better as it sits.  I'm sort of picky about what types of meat I will eat left over but this is one of them.

A lot of people serve their Swiss Steak with.... mashed potatoes. Ewwwww.  I generally alternate between rice and noodles, or if I have the time, ingredients and inclination, I'll make some polenta.

I made Swiss Steak this week as one of our meals but because I was so busy also putting together my Super Bowl spread, I didn't have time to think about the side.  When I got home Monday night, I had exactly 1 hour before I had to go back out the door to my Muay Thai class so it needed to be quick.   I ended up putting some rice on - that's quick as it only takes 20 minutes, but personally I wasn't in the mood for rice. Then I spied some baby red potatoes that I needed to use up.  I remembered I'd found a recipe on Noble Pig that I wanted to try and after looking at it, I gave it a whirl.  I made the potatoes up quickly then left for class.

When we got home, I reheated the Swiss Steak and a couple of the baby potatoes in the micowave and may I just say, WINNER!  Mr. Helen went for the rice but as his food was heating he reached over and grabbed a piece of potato off the pan.  Then he did it again, and again.  Finally he got a small plate and as he put it in the microwave said to me, "I swear these are better than salt and vinegar potato chips!"  (and I venture to say, healthier too).  High praise from my potato-chip loving husband.

One of the things I love about this recipe method is that you don't have to have specific amounts of anything, so it's easily adaptable for one or two or twenty.

Salt & Vinegar Smashed Potatoes

Baby red potatoes, scrubbed clean but not peeled
Olive Oil
Rosemary (fresh or dried, whatever you have)
Kosher Salt or Coarse Sea Salt
Apple Cider Vinegar

Put the baby potatoes in a pan and cover with water.  Bring to a boil and cook until tender (10-15 mins.).  Drain off water then put baby potatoes on a flat plan, like a cookie sheet.  Using a fork, slightly smash each potato.


After you get all your potatoes smashed, brush each one with a little olive oil then season them generously with rosemary, salt and pepper, a sprinkle of kosher salt.

Put in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until the outsides start to crisp a little and brown slightly.  As soon as you take them out of the oven, brush each potato with the cider vinegar.


So delicious! There's your answer, Shelley: while I don't like mashed potatoes, I do love them slightly smashed and this version is spectacular and easy.  I'll be making these often  - maybe changing up the flavor profile - and look forward to trying them on the grill this summer!

20 comments:

  1. OOH I have a 7 year old here who would LOVE TO HELP smash too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would definitely be a great recipe to let a child help with - in fact I bet your Tornado could almost do it all by herself.

      Delete
  2. Hah! I knew you liked lumpy potatoes! Those look really good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are. You should try them on one of your carbo loading days!

      Delete
  3. These look good and so easy to prepare. Will remember this because I love potatoes baked in the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those really do look amazing!

    I don't like mashed either :}

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love potatoes any which way. Yay!!! :D Stay safe from the snow. I need to run out and get a few things in case we have to stay in Saturday as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I specifically thought of you when I was making these because I know you love potatoes.

      Delete
  6. I love red potatoes because you don't have to peel them! I've had that recipe pinned for a while, now I need to make them. Thanks for the hugs about Ed yesterday - I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only buy red potatoes but we don't eat too many. Mostly I use them for curry and occasionally my husband will ask for a baked potato with sour cream. I'll try this for sure as my daughter loves the salt and vinegar potato chips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Recipe is printed and on the menu for my next week now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound really good! However, so does the oven- baked Swiss Steak, but I can't find he recipe on your blog. Any chance of posting it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never posted that recipe so you won't find it. Next time I make it, if I can remember, I'll take photos and get it up. You might have to wait until next winter though!

      Delete
    2. Rats! I was hoping to make it for dinner tonight!

      Delete
  10. Love this style of smashed potatoes...and the vinegar sounds like a perfect touch! I get so many great ideas from your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those sound absolutely scrumptious! I will be trying these soon. And making my own version of Swiss Steak--haven't had that all winter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Batten down the hatches Helen! Hope the snow isn't too bad in your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy smokes Helen, that looks soooo good!!! I've bookmarked. Hope you are safe and that the storm passes quickly! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Helen. The comment above is me, Roz. Dennis is logged into google and I didn't realize. We both send good "storm pass quickly" wishes to you and Mr. Helen.

      Delete
  14. I haven't tried that yet, but I have seen the Pioneer Woman's version of smashed potatoes.
    I am not a mashed potatoes fan either, but when I do make it it always hand-mashed, not whipped or anything gross like that, with very little liquid added. So they always still taste like potatoes, you know?

    ReplyDelete