Thursday, October 10, 2013

Fall Comfort Food: Crockpot Steak and Gravy

All throughout last winter I got in the habit of making a crockpot meal on my busiest of the weekend days.  Just so nice to know that though I was running around like crazy, at the end of the day I didn't have to worry about dinner.  I plan to do that again this fall and winter and have already started with this delicious dish I made last weekend.

I had a package of cube steak in the freezer that I needed to use up so I decided to experiment with that. Cube steak is a great economical way to eat beef.  The problem with it most of the time is that it's super easy to overcook and then it's tough and not tasty at all.  Using the crockpot makes it simple and with just a few ingredients, the end result is a delicious steak and gravy dish that you can serve over rice or noodles or polenta or just eat it up!

You gotta love a recipe like this because you just use whatever you have on hand.  It's easy to make substitutions to the ingredients.First get all your ingredients together.  You'll need 2 cans of soup and an onion (unless you're Biz) but I forgot to take the photo before I used them.


Dredge your cube steak in a seasoned flour mixture then brown very quickly in a little bit of olive oil in a non-stick or (my preference) cast iron skillet.

Put a layer of cube steak in the bottom of the crockpot, then top with sliced onion and mushrooms.

Spoon a whole can of cream of mushroom soup over that layer. Then repeat layers.

In the skillet you browned the meat in, pour a cup of water and add a heaping tablespoon of the au jus gravy mix. Bring to a boil and scrape the skillet so all the browned bits come up and make a loose gravy. (Next time I'm going to try a can of beef broth!)

Pour that gravy over the top of the second layer in the crockpot, cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Serve with a vegetable and starch of your choice! (Mr. Helen chose rice.)



Crockpot Steak and Gravy


2 pound package of cube steak (this gave me 8 pieces)
½ cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp granulated garlic

3 TBSP olive oil, divided

1 large onion, sliced
8-16 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced (I only had 8 oz. so that's what I used.  Next time I'll use more.)
2 cans cream of mushroom soup (healthy, low sodium, whatever you like)
1 cup water
1 heaping Tablespoon Au Jus Gravy Mix

Combine the flour, salt, pepper and granulated garlic in a shallow dish.  Heat 2T olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. While it is heating, begin dredging the steaks in the flour, coating both sides well, and then place in the hot oil to brown. About a minute on each side - don't let them cook too long. Turn once a nice crust has formed.  When done browning, turn heat off and set skillet aside.

While the steaks are browning, slice the onion, then put in a non-stick skillet with 1T olive oil.  Saute about 5 minutes or until the onion slices begin to soften. 

In the bottom of the crockpot, layer half of the browned steaks, half of the onions, half of the mushrooms, and 1 can of the cream of mushroom soup. Repeat the layers.

Turn the heat up to medium high under the skillet you browned the meat in and pour in 1 cup of water.  Whisk in 1 heaping Tablespoon of the au jus gravy mix.  Bring to a boil and scrape all the little bits up off the bottom of the skillet until you have a nice gravy.  Pour finished gravy over the top of everything in the crockpot.

Cook on low 8-10 hours (mine took 8) or high 4-6 hours.


10 comments:

  1. I'd wager that steak is melt in your mouth delicious - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go through stages in which I use my crockpot tons. :-) So awesome to get home and food be ready!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha Ha! You can keep the damn onions, but I love the idea of cube steak in the crock pot! When I was a single Momma, that was my "steak" of choice - I normally could get two steaks for about $1.25 back then, and it was one of the rare pieces of beef my daughter would actually eat. I think because I pan fried it in oil, so it was crispy on the outside yet still tender. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! I am totally craving comfort food right now. I think because the weather turned from summer so quickly here and I am just freezing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM. Jeff would love this (so would I, in fact).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im so so so hoping buying a crockpot will help me get over the fact it's COLD HERE.
    ((sadface))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be right over!! :) Have a great day Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any leftovers? YUM this looks delicious! Good idea about the crockpots in Autumn/Winter. Going to make one soon myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why have I never thought of doing cube steak in the crockpot?? My mom used to make swiss steak (with tomatoes) in the pressure cooker that I loved so much. But I don't have a pressure cooker, so I just get those cube steaks that are all pre-chopped and I don't like them as well. I am going to try this. Its one of my most favorite winter dishes.

    ReplyDelete