Monday, October 21, 2013

Fall Comfort Food: World's Easiest Pumpkin Soup with a Thai Twist!

I'm back in soup mode.  I know there are people who eat soup year 'round but I tend to eat a lot of it in the fall and winter and not so much at other times.

There are several food blogs I read and recently one of them had a pumpkin soup with a Thai twist, that she had adapted from Cooking Light.  When I got the chance I found both recipes and then because it's what I do, adapted it again to fit the ingredients that I had.  For example, one of my pet peeves with a recipe is to have it call for 12 oz. of something and when I go to buy it, I can only find the item in 15 oz. I don't want 3 oz. left over!! I've been cooking long enough to know how to change things up and make it work.

This soup may be my new favorite pumpkin soup.  I guarantee you it's unlike any other that you've ever had and it has a slight spicy kick. If it takes 30 minutes from start to finish that might be stretching, so it's even easy to whip up after work or for a quick lunch.



Pumpkin Soup with a Thai Twist
(Serves 6 - about 1 1/4 cups per serving)


  • 32 oz. box organic chicken stock
  • 15 oz. can pumpkin 
  • 9 oz. can mango nectar
  • 1/4 cup organic smooth peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • garlic clove, crushed (do not mince, use a garlic press on it!)
  • Optional garnishes:  pumpkin seeds, cilantro, chives, green onions

  • Combine chicken stock pumpkin and mango nectar in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. 
  • Combine 1 cup pumpkin mixture and peanut butter in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
  • Return mixture to pan. Stir in vinegar and next 5 ingredients (vinegar through garlic); cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
  • Garnish as desired and serve!
  • Per serving: 121 calories, 5.6g fat, 14.5g carbohydrates, 3.2g fiber, 5.1g protein


11 comments:

  1. OH.
    I could SO do this.
    ((adds MANGO NECTAR to her TJs list))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious although I miss fresh ingredients a bit in this soup, this might be good with fresh pumpkin too?

    I just tear out a recipe for Thai Pumpkin Soup from one of magazines this weekend. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course fresh pumpkin would work. But then it wouldn't be easy or fast! To me, canned pumpkin is every bit as good as fresh.

      Delete
  3. I like pumpkin but have never thought of it as a soup ingredient. This sounds really good, though...love the twist you put with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting soup! I've seen Mango nectar at our ethnic grocery store, and other than drink it, I had no idea what anyone would do with it!

    Love the nutritional stats on this too - and of course, the spicy kick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder how this would be with coconut milk in place of the mango nectar? I am so in soup/stew mode right now it isn't funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a completely different soup. The mango nectar adds a bit of sweetness I think, yet you can't taste mango. I don't think I would substitute that ingredient.

      Delete
  6. Wow that looks good! I only eat soup in the fall and winter too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum Helen! I could adapt this to be vegan by swapping vegetable broth - its going on my to try pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interested in what you think of it with the veg broth. Sometimes I have subbed that in other soups and didn't like the flavor of the soup as much.

      Delete
  8. Oh YUM!!!!! LOVE the idea of the mango nectar!!! Thanks for the recipe and inspiration Helen. Have a good Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete