Monday, October 28, 2013

Falling Leaves

It was an absolutely beautiful and typical New England fall weekend around here... daytime temperatures in the mid to upper 50's with brilliant blue skies to show off the last of our foliage.  I got out by 8 am to take a run because the forecast was for some gusty winds to be added to the mix and I don't love running in gusty wind.

I grabbed my camera as I went out the door with the intention of taking a photo of some trees that are near my house at the highway entrance. I knew this would be one of the last weekends to do so as those gusty winds are what bring the leaves down. I routed myself so that I had run most of what I wanted to by the time I got to where I wanted to take pictures and then I sort of jogged along and took a few photos before I turned to home.  The whole experience set a great tone for the day.






Seriously big hydrangea all dried up now!




See the berries?


Literally right around the corner from my house.  The trees in this park have been spectacular.

A view without the 7-Eleven sign


When I got home I whipped up a batch of these Bacon and Cheddar scones... particularly delicious after my run!

Taking these photos gave me the idea to take a walk up to the arboretum at the college on Sunday.  While Sundays are generally my rest day, we have now entered the season where I often use it as a cross-training day or simply a walking day just to be able to get outside in the fresh air and sunshine... good for the body and the soul. Stay tuned for that!

8 comments:

  1. I always walk on rest days. Personally I think it's good to move every day, it's the intensity that's different every day.

    Love, love the fall colors. I have been in a bus almost the entire day last Saturday and at some point I started to look at the trees that we passed and enjoyed all the beautiful fall colors. Today we have a huge storm here in Holland, roads are closed, accidents happen and probably all the leaves will be down at the end of it. At least it's dry and it's only wind.

    Thanks for sharing your beautiful pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Have a fit day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can never have too many pictures of fall trees in my book! Thanks for sharing Helen! I contemplated walking yesterday, but am glad I took it as a full rest day - my body was raring to go when my alarm went off at 6:15 this morning - I am loving the morning workouts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, just lovely! And I noticed some neat stone fences in a couple of the pictures - how cool! Looks very historic to me, which it probably is, given the part of the country you live in. When was your town founded, anyway?

    Good on ya for getting out and walking on Sunday - yes, this weather is meant to be enjoyed (and mentally stored for the snowy days ahead).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures. I love the fall colours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the color so much! Our is past now and leaves are hitting the ground big time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fall colors are so beautiful Helen. Thanks for sharing them with us - oh and the scone - super yummy! I got to rake leaves this morning for an hour before my morning walk - lots of extra exercise this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous. Looks like home to me. :)

    ReplyDelete