Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Ten Thinky Things

1. I have maintained my weight loss since the end of August.  While I'm super happy with that, I'm also super frustrated.  You see, I just wanted a break from logging food and counting calories, etc. so I took it. Evidently I'm really good at maintaining but NOT at losing when I do this.  I guess I need to go back to logging but all the while I'm wishing to lose more weight, I'm also wishing I didn't have to log my food.

2. The movie Twelve Years a Slave came out this past weekend.  Did you know it's based on a book?  It's a true story too, written by the slave.  Lori, the story starts right where you live!  I've been reading the book but probably will wait for the DVD to see the movie.  I've heard it's a fabulous movie but brutal and painful to watch.  I don't need to be sobbing in the theater.

3.  This study - which made national headlines - showing that Oreo cookies' fat and sugar are as addictive as cocaine was done at the college that is right in my city!

 They found that the Oreos activated significantly more neurons than cocaine or morphine.
“This correlated well with our behavioral results and lends support to the hypothesis that high-fat/ high-sugar foods are addictive,” said Schroeder. And that is a problem for the general public, says Honohan.“Even though we associate significant health hazards in taking drugs like cocaine and morphine, high-fat/ high-sugar foods may present even more of a danger because of their accessibility and affordability,” she said.
4.  The sequester, then the government shutdown hit my home personally.  Really reinforced how fragile things are in general and how important it is to find good financial balance between living life out loud with abandon and preparing carefully in case of emergency.

5. This article. Not sure I completely agree, but it got me thinking on many levels.

6. Life really is all about perspective.  A friend was watching a football game when one of her children called her.  This is the conversation that ensued:


She said:
I'll be right there, 40 seconds left in the game


The child replied:
40 seconds in football is 20 minutes of timeouts and commercials
40 seconds in soccer is pointless passing back and forth to end the game
40 seconds in Cross Country is 100 people crossing the finish line


Perspective people.

7. I know a lot of people don't like the Biggest Loser but I do.  It seems that every week there is something that strikes me..."You cannot change the past but this is your chance to rewrite the future." I've actually been having quite a few similar thoughts in regards to this being the second half of my life.  I do believe the decade of the 50's are a second (or third, or fourth) chance for many things.

8. Speaking of rewriting the latter part of my life, been feeling - a lot - like a I need a change regards to exercise but don't quite know what or how.  In the last 20+ months (since the fractured foot) I have really been feeling broken down.  Also, I'd venture to say full on menopause has set in and I don't always sleep well which has made it increasingly hard to get up at 4 am to exercise. Imagine going to bed at 8 pm trying to be asleep by 8:30 and then waking up around 2 am and staying awake until 3:30, then the alarm goes off at 4. Yeah, that.  Yet, if I don't get up, I definitely won't exercise at night because I'm really dog tired at that point and completely lack self-motivation.  I've looked around at available evening classes and they are either too late or too expensive or something I'm not interested in. It's such a conundrum.  Still thinking hard on this one.

9. Also from the Biggest Loser, "Strength has nothing to do with external performance.  It has everything to do with internal belief."  Free your mind and the rest will follow.

10. I came across this Navajo Beauty Way ceremony and adapted it for myself (every place it said walk, I wrote run).  I printed it out and have been reading it every morning... working on health and harmony and internal belief.


In beauty may I run
All day long may I run
Through the returning seasons may I run
Beautifully I will possess again
Beautifully birds
Beautifully joyful birds
On the trail marked with pollen may I run
With grasshoppers about my feet may I run
With beauty may I run
With beauty before me may I run
With beauty behind me may I run
With beauty above me may I run
In old age, wandering on a trail of beauty, lively, may I run
In old age, wandering on a trail of beauty, living again, may I run
It is finished in beauty
It is finished in beauty


19 comments:

  1. Wow great post, so many things to think about. Number 1 is what happens to me when I try to eat just healthy. I've been maintaining for about a year now. Not sure what I'm going to do with that. Still thinking.

    I love the perspective point, so true!

    In fact I love everything about this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot to think about isn't it... letting it go and staying where you are or trying for a bit more weight loss.

      Delete
  2. Trying to go to bed at 8:00 p.m. seems awfully early for such a young person. Are you accommodating someone's early rise work schedule? I've never had a problem with Oreo cookies being like cocaine. Now if they had done the study using Krispy Kremes that would be another matter. When I had sleep apnea I would go to bed by 10 and rise around 3 and sometimes 4. I would rule that out with a sleep study. Another option would be hormonal therapy. Suzanne Somers swears by it. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm accommodating my 4 am alarm! I need 7-8 hours of sleep to feel at my best so I go 8-8:30 in the hopes of being sound asleep by 9 at the latest.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad I went to see the article referenced in #5. Wow - I could say volumes but will refrain. But it does sound like her relationship with alcohol is excessive and obsessive. Esp. obsessive, given all the think time she 'fesses to. There is a solution, and it isn't liquid! Great post, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great blog. So. Many. Things.

    I think the Oreo addiction could be changed to whatever food people like. For instance, Marc, above is addicted to Krispy Kremes. Doesn't matter what food it is--it's an addiction, evidently even stronger than a heroine addiction, at least to mice. I really appreciate this study, because I think it proves that our addiction is just that---an addiction--we are not just weak human beings with no self-discipline when we overeat. We are really truly addicts, the same as if we were addicted to alcohol or cigarettes or drugs.

    I read the "Counting my Drinks," story. It made me sad. Kathleen Volk Miller is addicted to alcohol, if not an alcoholic. (Is there a difference? I don't know.) She controls it, much as those of us who have lost weight and kept it off do, but we are all still addicts. We want more of the forbidden fruit than we know we can have. It's hard. It's a struggle. Every moment of my life. I find it even more sad that her daughter is following the pattern her Grandma started. I have passed my food addiction to two of my three sons. One of them has lost control, he weighs close to 500 lbs. I feel responsible. I worry. The other son tries very hard to keep his eating under control, and constantly loses weight, only to regain some or all of it. So far, his weight has not spiraled out of control like his brother's, but like me, if he quits trying every single moment of his life, that weight will be back on in seconds! It sure made me think!

    Once again--great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the point of the study is that fat and sugar are addictive. I don't know that all food is - I've honestly never heard of anyone overeating green beans for example :)

      Delete
  5. Thinky things indeed! Its too early to make me thinky this hard, LOL. That article is so well written, heartbreaking. I just heard a piece on NPR written by a woman who was a functional alcoholic (who had authored a book about women drinking...) Anyway, I have friends and family whose lives have been royally mucked up by alcohol. And I can't help but compare it to my "issues" with sugar and fat, and lack of control once I start in on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, come back and read more later when your brain is more awake lol!

      Delete
  6. Oh, also, I ordered the book on Kindle--thanks for the recommendation. And thanks for writing such a great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My best sleep comes around 5:00 am - unfortunately, that's usually when my alarm goes off so I can get up and run. I do the same wake up several times during the night as you and have for years...not fun, not at all. I don't even try to go to bed early anymore because I'll end up back awake at 10:30! Ridiculous is what this is.

    That article was interesting - I'd say the author knows what she is, she just isn't quite ready to admit it yet.

    And I agree, just based on how my cravings get triggered, that high fat/sugar combos are very addictive. I could pass on Oreos, but that's because they don't do anything for me. But coconut M&Ms are a whole 'nother story...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My best sleep coming at 3:30-4 is the very reason why I've taken to sleeping in on Saturdays and Sundays. I used to be obsessed with getting up and getting my day going but lately I've been allowing myself to sleep. Last Saturday I went to bed at 9 and didn't get up until 8 am. I guess minus the 3 hours of broken/no sleep in the middle of the night that gave me 8 hours which my body likes.

      Delete
  8. We are all very excited about the Solomon Northrop movie around here! I have been trying to read the book, but it has a huge waiting list at the library (obviously).

    I suggest biking for a new exercise. Yay???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, you should get the book off Amazon for your Kindle - I've seen it for 99 cents! It's really good.

      I wish I lived in a biking conducive area, I just don't - no pretty quiet roads or bike paths unless I drive out of town.

      Delete
  9. I think this one is my favorite Tuesday 10 of all! #5 - amazing article - makes me think of a lot of things in my life - I am actually happy to kick alcohol to the curb during my 10 day cleanse!

    9. I love BL too - I find myself writing down things that the trainers say that do strike a chord with me too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES.
    I experience number 9 a lot lot lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like the thinky post a lot! The words "I do believe the decade of the 50's are a second (or third, or fourth) chance for many things." really hit home for me. Bring 'em on, and bring on second chances!!! Hugs Helen, thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love coming across blogs like yours that remind me that I am not the only one going through different phases of life. I have struggled to maintain my weight loss and discovered that I have to continue tracking what I eat the majority of the time. I'm also making the journey through menopause and my sleep is also disrupted nightly. I am hoping that my 50's are some of my best years and I have already been trying new things. Good luck to you :)

    ReplyDelete