Monday, November 11, 2013

Fall Comfort Food: Braciole!

We are in full swing fall/winter eating.  In the past couple of weeks as the days have shortened and the temperatures have dropped I've made Chicken Cordon Bleu, Beef Pot Roast and other similar hearty dishes.

Mr. Helen loves Italian food and I also tend to make a lot of spaghetti and meatballs but once in a while I change it up and make Braciole.  Braciole (pronounced bra-zhole) can be done several ways but ultimately, it's always a stuffed beef roll simmered in red sauce (i.e. Italian gravy) and served with a starch: usually polenta, pasta or potato.

What you'll need to make it is either thin cut top round steak (my grocery store does one specifically for braciole) or some people do a whole flank steak.  You fill that with cheese and seasoned breadcrumbs and then cook it in your favorite marinara sauce.  It really is an easy and delicious meal.

I apologize in advance that I never got a photo of a piece of the cooked braciole plated.  I guess I'll have to edit this post next time I make it.








Braciole

24 oz. thin sliced top round (6 pieces)
3 oz. extra sharp provolone cheese
1/2 cup dried seasoned bread crumbs (I use these)
1 clove garlic, pressed
2/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1 T olive oil
3-4 cups marinara sauce (use your favorite, I make my own)

In a small bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, grated Romano cheese and the garlic clove, set aside.

Cut the provolone into 6 "sticks."

Lay out one piece of the meat and sprinkle 1 1/2 Tablespoons of the bread crumbs over the top. Lay one of the cheese sticks at the end and roll up.  Secure the roll with toothpicks.  Repeat until all rolls are done.

Heat 1 T olive oil in a large non-stick skillet.  Add rolls and brown them.  This is not to cook them, just to brown them.

Put the browned rolls in a casserole dish and cover with the Marinara sauce.  Cook covered for 1 1/2 hours in a 350 degree oven.  Uncover and cook an additional 30 minutes.

Serve with your favorite starch and a vegetable.

12 comments:

  1. Looks good Helen. I love Italian food but have to admit I have never eaten this, not at home and not in Italy. It looks delicious and simple though, will look it up in my Italian cook bible for a Dutch recipe, it must be in it.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you should be able to find a recipe - it's a classic Italian dish!

      Delete
  2. That was one dish that Tony grew up with - it's sad that I think I've only made it for him a couple times - need to fix that because it is pure comfort food! Happy Monday Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do not want to know how I was pronouncing Braciole...

    Looks good, although I glanced at the pictures before reading and thought you were rolling steak around a stick of butter (which, let's face it, might be AMAZING).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do want to know how you were pronouncing it. And you're right about the butter Paula Deen lol!

      Delete
  4. I tried cooking this dish once with an Alton Brown recipes. He used more of a stuffing and not cheese. The meat didn't cook in the middle, but it always look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alton Brown's recipe had no cheese in it at all? That's not real Braciole! Some versions call for all the cheese to be grated into the breadcrumb stuffing but we like it this way better.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you are on a roll with cooking. I have made a similar dish but not for a few years. My hubby would enjoy this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always on a roll with cooking - it's one of my favorite things to do!

      Delete
  6. Helen, I am amazed at your cooking ability and ambition. I've gotten rather lazy and unadventurous over the years, when it comes to cooking. I'll be waiting for your post that you alluded to in your comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete