Thursday, January 23, 2014

This and That

I made a big pot of sauce with meatballs and sausage over the weekend.  We have artic air sitting over us right now and I knew it would taste delicious and comforting.  But here's the thing with me and spaghetti - not the sauce, the actual spaghetti noodles.  I love it.  When I was a child, I always requested that as my birthday meal.  I was allowed to have it with just butter and cheese!  As an adult, I have grown to like sauce more but I've never lost my true love of spaghetti, therefore it's super easy for me to overeat.  The other night I finally remembered to put spiralized zucchini in with the spaghetti and I have to admit, that did the trick for me.  I was plenty full but still had the satisfaction of having spaghetti, all for only 240 calories for a full cup of spaghetti and 2 1/2 cups of spiralized zucchini (not including the sauce, etc.).  I need to plan to do this every time.

See the zucchini sticking out right at the top?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of arctic air, here's the screen shot from my weather app when I checked it this morning before running.  No worries - there's still too much snow/ice out there so I went in the garage where it was a whole 12 degrees which was a full 25 degrees warmer than the wind chill!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been using the Cilantro Avocado Dressing on so many things!  The other day I had tortilla soup for lunch and again, instead of putting some avocado on it, I just plopped a tablespoon of that on top of the tortilla chips.  So good!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris Powell, who you know I admire, was on Dr. Oz a few days ago and showed a quick all over body workout that can be done with no equipment.  As I've been looking for some quick body weight exercises to combine with my running, I was intrigued.  I've tried it a couple times this week - it's harder than it sounds but I love it.  I am even going to increase the time an intensity as I get better at it.

Set a timer for 5 minutes, then do as many reps as possible of each of these: 10 chair squats (literally put a chair behind you and squat until you just touch your bottom on it), 10 jumping jacks, 10 knees to chest crunches (he suggests sitting on a chair but I prefer to be on the floor), 10 high knees.  Lori and Shelley, I particularly thought of you guys since you both are wanting to add some stuff and this only takes 5 minutes! Go here: http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/biggest-health-lies-youve-been-told and go to the 5th segment to see Chris Powell demonstrate.

Groupon also had a deal on 20 minute workouts from The Firm - 13 DVDs for only $18.99, so I ordered those as well.  I guess when it comes to this sort of stuff, I just have a short attention span.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have gotten kind of picky about plain non-fat Greek yogurt.  To me the various brands are not equal - not the same thickness, some are more sour, etc.  I had pretty much gotten to the place where I'd only buy Fage - which as we know is usually the most expensive also.  Recently my grocery had Stoneyfield Organic Non-Fat Greek Yogurt on sale 10/$10 so I decided to buy a couple.  You'll be delighted to know this made my list of approved yogurts.  Even better, is that usually I can get one or the other on sale.  I hate paying full price for yogurt!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here I am dressed for my company holiday party.  Right down to the under garments this is the same outfit I wore in 2012 when I got to go to the White House. Except for the pantyhose.  I splurged on a pair of Spanx pantyhose ($16) and I would do that again.  They felt and wore even better than my regular control top hose and I loved how their "nude" color really did make my legs just look smooth and not falsely tanned.  I was glad to get a second use of this dress and accessories!

Manicure, Shoes, Handbag, Jewelry

The Ensemble

19 comments:

  1. Im kinda trapped at home too by a PUPPY.
    Im in in in for that workout.
    and yes.
    you look STUNNING.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really like that outfit and I always think when one feels good they look better!

      Delete
  2. What a good idea to mix the zucchini noodles with the regular spaghetti! Stealing that...

    Oh, and I like the idea of your 5 minute workout. That's about as much as I can tolerate doing on my own before I die of boredom.

    I'm so used to finding (and stocking up on, yes) Fage on sale for $1 that I feel really cheated if I have to pay more for it! I think our grocery prices are fairly low here - at least compared to the west coast, since both my mom and my bf practically had a stroke over the low price of cilantro in our grocery store...

    I did not know Spanx did pantyhose! Filing that one away...you looked so pretty and I'm glad you got to bring out the outfit that you loved so much once again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do the workout Shelley - you'll be shocked at how fast that 5 minutes goes. I'm going to do it tonight!

      Delete
  3. You look great in that photo! I have thought about Spanx, but I am too cheap to buy them LOL! Maybe knowing there are pantyhose might change my mind. Not that I have the need for hose much anyway.

    I love pasta with just butter and cheese. So classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Spanx pantyhose really are the bomb. I got mine at a DSW so I'm sure they were less expensive than buying them at a high end store or ordering them. Treat yourself next time you're going to wear a dress!

      Pasta and butter and cheese truly is a comfort food for me. :D

      Delete
  4. We have the big tub of Fage at Walmart pretty cheap, and an even bigger tub at Costco even cheaper. That's the way I always buy it. I gotta admit, I really like the 2% better. Fortunately, I can't ever find it on sale. I really like using zucchini and other stuff for pasta. I tried using the broccoli slaw in a noodle soup, and I did like the broccoli better than the noodles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to check my warehouse store. I know when the grocery store has them on sale for $1 that's usually even cheaper than buying the big tub. But when they're on sale, sometimes they're hard to get - people snatch them up!

      Delete
  5. Fage is my favorite too, but I'm also okay with the Dannon plain yogurt which lists the ingredients as "milk." I like that.

    I tried the zucchini noodles once and then forgot about them. I'm so used to using spaghetti squash that I forget about other choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm in the minority but I don't care for spaghetti squash at all. Being able to make zucchini noodles has made me a happy camper!

      Delete
  6. Looking good, Helen!

    I'm a bit of a tramp with the yogurts. My preference is the Stonyfield, then Fage, but if Dannon Light and Fit Greek or Chobani are on sale, I'll definitely buy them. (No scruples, me. :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Tramp with the yogurts" made me laugh out loud!

      Delete
  7. You look fabulous my friend!

    That's a great deal on those Firm DVD's. I have a lot of those too and I like doing them a lot. You can make it as hard as you want. I don't think I ever will go back to a gym, doing the home workouts combined with running works best for me and it's what I like doing most.

    I overeat on any kind of pasta, I love it. What works for me best is measure it before cooking it. If I just throw something in the pan to cook it's always too much and I eat too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I'm totally with you on having to measure pasta. I would most definitely eat too much if I didn't.

      Delete
  8. I've been trying to find a spiralizer at the stores, but no luck so far - I may have to get it online!

    You look absolutely gorgeous in that outfit - I still haven't worn a dress in probably 10 years? Definitely on my bucket list for 2014 - wear a dress and feel comfortable in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to order mine online Biz. Got it through amazon of course!

      Delete
  9. You had me at spaghetti. Then oh my--the spiralized zucchini sounds absolutely brilliant!!! The workout sounds good, real good because I can do most of it in my upstairs apartment... Probably not the jumping jacks though--I'll need to go out in the courtyard for those... I'm afraid the nice lady who lives below me would become quite alarmed if I started with jumping jacks... You look fabulous, Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is there a kitchen tool I can buy to make the spiral zucchini cuts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There sure is. I had to order mine online. If you go through this link on Amazon you'll see all the choices there are. I have the Joyce Chen one.

      http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=spiralizer

      Delete