Thursday, January 30, 2014

Trying to do the Next Best Thing

I have been undergoing all sorts of medical tests to see why I was having chest pressure and stomach aches in the month of December. The good news is that as of around January 6th I haven't had any more chest pressure and so far, tests are coming back normal. Well, everything but one small thing, which I'm not going to go into here. In any case, the one thing that's a little off has prompted my doctor to go from "I'd like you to lose some weight" to "I want you to join a weight loss program like Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig or Thin's In" (that last one is a local one).

Yeah OK - or I should did say NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Like our friend Fran, just the thought of Weight Watchers makes me squirm. Don't get me wrong, I realize that it works for many people but I already know I don't like their points program therefore I'd just be wasting my money.  As for the support side, I know I have several blogging and IRL friends I can reach out to if necessary.

The doc's insistence got me doing some research and I've decided I'm going to do Dr. Oz's Two Week Rapid Weight Loss Plan as a jump start. (And yes, Lori, I hate the name of it.)  I've been feeling a bit like an old car battery that's going "rrrrr rrrrr rrrrr" before it starts properly so I feel a jump start is what I need to get my focus where it should be.

I respect Dr. Oz and I really like how he believes naturally and organically we can heal our bodies by eating correctly (and in no way am I saying eat vs. medication because many times medication is necessary). Additionally this two week plan is vegetable-centric, which suits me well. I also like that this is a short-term plan that should also serves as a bit of a detox. Not to mention that while I do this - there will be no calorie counting or tracking of food, which I'm so tired of.  I already know from past experience that I can do anything for two weeks.  

I'm planning on starting this on February 3rd - and yes that's specifically because we've already made food plans for the Super Bowl.  I've been using this week to plan out my two weeks of meals using a print out of the guidelines, which also has a shopping list. Additionally, the comments on the website are full of ideas on how to eat.  I've already ordered and received the brown rice protein powder from Vitacost and while I'd rather chew than have a smoothie for breakfast, as I said, I can do anything for two weeks. Also, one of my IRL friends who is having some medical challenges of her own right now has decided to join me in this.

I've talked it over with Mr. Helen, because he hates when I do a strict diet plan, and he realizes this is important. He has told me he'll do whatever he can to support me.  We'll just see how this plays out.  My plan right now is to make him a giant meatloaf (which he loves but I do not) to help him get over all the chicken I'll be making.

I have one more set of test which will happen in the next couple of weeks and a doctor's appointment for followup on March 10th.  I'm hopeful for a change in her scale by then but for once in my life I am not going to set a goal to lose _____ pounds by that date.  I'm just going to try to do the next best thing for myself every day.

I'm putting this out there because I want to be accountable to do it.  Now that I've said it out loud, I have to, right?

14 comments:

  1. I'll support you whatever you decide to do. Truth be told, sometimes I think about doing a month or 2 of Nutrisystem again just so I don't think about food and have someone to tell me what to eat for a while. It's actually liberating in some respects. I just am a bit cheap to do it right now, but it's in the back of my mind. We all need certain tools to help motivate or get things moving in the right directions - and it is a different tool for everyone. I don't think I could do this one, though. I would have to give up my daily latte, and there ain't no way I would make that happen. I would have to modify the plan right away LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori,I appreciate that. I guess I should confess, "truth be told" I am probably not going to give up my morning coffee - I drink it black and I honestly think he's concerned about the vast amounts of cream and sugar that generally go in to coffee. Also, I despise green tea.

      Delete
  2. LOL. I looked at the video. First I thought, I COULD NEVER DO THAT. Then I thought, well, I do most of that stuff most of the time. THEN I thought, no coffee?? No artificial sweeteners? Sad to say, the artificial sweeteners would probably be the hardest for me to give up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Debby we all have our "thing." As I said to Lori, I'm not giving up coffee as I drink it black and I hate green tea!

      Delete
  3. Okay, first off, I've heard good things about starting with hot water and lemon juice right off the bat - I just keep forgetting to try it!

    And other than looking away from the 4 large onions on the list, I think you can totally do this. Like you said - you can do anything for two weeks!

    My husband always thinks I am nuts when I try to cut out certain foods, but like you, still trying to see what fits my life. And right now that's normal food - 500 calorie meals 3 times a day with no snacks.

    I'll be cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the reasons I think I can do this, is this is often the way I eat. It will definitely be less protein for me and of course, no sugar/dessert, but I don't eat added sugar much anyway. Thanks for the cheering!

      Delete
  4. You can do anything for two weeks - and it's for your health, after all. Not a vacation body, or a certain dress size. Healthy Helen has got this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WW has gotten quite expensive and I only go to meetings now because they are free. If I don't find a good leader soon, I probably will not go back. I actually am miles apart from them on how and what to eat and how to count it. I'm still using points because it is a habit after almost eleven years but there is no magic in points. It's just another way to count calories.

    Good luck with the two week program. I hope it is the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caron. I know WW has been a great program for many people - I'm actually a former WW leader but I left shortly after points were introduced because I did not like it!

      Delete
  6. Go Helen Go!!! We are here to support you every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roz, I sure can use all the support I can get!

      Delete
  7. Wishing you great success and better health, Helen! You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can do this for 2 weeks! I know you can. And I wouldn't give up my coffee either, like you I drink it black and don't see much harm in it.

    I gave myself till this weekend to think about joining WW again and the answer is: No.
    I did follow a WW plan last year for 4 weeks. I had bought this WW book that had meal plans for 4 weeks in it. I didn't count the points I just followed the plan and it definitely worked back then.

    A jumpstart sometimes is all we need to move on with our (already) healthy lifestyle. You can do this my friend and I'm here to support you.

    ReplyDelete