Thursday, February 6, 2014

I must REALLY love you.

Yesterday I was talking about a yoga pose we did in the Svaroopa Yoga class that actually made my injured hamstring feel better.  It's mostly better anyway, but it's very, very tight and I feel like it's fragile enough that if I was to stumble and have to use that leg to catch myself, it would easily pull again.  I injured that thing last Memorial Day! 

For those who read Shelley's blog, you know she also injured her hamstring over the summer while training for a half marathon.  It's still dogging her and although I know it's going to feel better now that she's not running as much, she and I have had some correspondence wondering if we'll ever be the same again.  Then stupid Runner's World ran a story about a woman who has been dealing with her injury for SIX years.  Makes a sister want to lay down and cry.

Anyway, my thought was I'd have Mr. Helen take some photos of of me doing the pose and explain it.  However after seeing the photos I realized you really need to sort of hear an explanation of it.  I was home and had the time so.... I honestly cannot believe I'm about to show you in all my chubby glory - no makeup, glasses, hair pulled back, slippers in the background of the video but yep, I am.  I must really love you guys.  I would have liked to have done another "take" - this was the second - because I realized I never once smiled, not even at the end.  But Mr. Helen's patience only goes so far.  Without further ado, here's that pose, along with my creative way of getting around the fact that I only had 1 yoga block and needed 4.


Shelley, I hope this helps.  I would suggest you start by putting your non-sore leg forward first because you will get a little stretch through the back leg.  Then do your sore leg.

All day yesterday my body felt different, as in better with less pain - even my dumb back.  In fact as we were snowed/iced in, I got on the treadmill and ran for a whole hour.  A WHOLE HOUR. Been a long time since I even felt like doing that!  Maybe this style of yoga is going to put me on the path of my 2014 goal which is just to feel better.

Also, I would like to remind you, I'm capable of looking pretty good when I want to - it's just not practical for exercise or snowy/icy days at home;)

18 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will add this stretch to my floor routine (just call me Olga Korbut?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it helps! And you're welcome :)

      Delete
  2. I love you too! How cool that you posted that video and so sweet of you. I don't watch video's often but the opportunity of finally hearing your voice was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy seeing and hearing bloggers I read too!. This experience got me to thinking about doing a VLOG for a change. We'll see.

      Delete
  3. I don't have an injury, thankfully, but this looks like a good stretching pose to do after working with one of my DVD's. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh for sure. Yoga is very good for loosening up tight places in our bodies.

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Helen! I'm thinking yoga might be my exercise of the day. It's COLD outside! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to do yoga once a week (I have several DVDs). Every time I do it I think I should do it more!

      Delete
  5. You know, it was most fun actually hearing your real voice LOL! This pose looks like it would be a nice stretch for the lower back, too, and I think I will work into it for my back. It's almost like the pigeon pose, but not folding the front leg under you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori you are correct! Here is part of Yoga Journal's description of Svaroopa Yoga (and why I wanted to try it):

      “This style of yoga teaches different ways of doing familiar poses, emphasizing the opening of the spine by beginning at the tailbone and progressing through each spinal area."

      Oh and I really need to smile next time I do a video!

      Delete
  6. Helen, you do indeed look good! You are a beautiful lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, obviously like most of us I look better at some times than others - but thank you!

      Delete
  7. I love how you explained it! You're a natural teacher :-)

    I took Svaroopa yoga years ago and am thinking it would be awesome to take it again (as soon as my shoulder/arm/wrist is no longer in pain). Where are you taking it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to The Yoga Within. They're having a four week beginners series for the month of February... which is quite a bit less than their usual cost. Cost is one of the reasons why I don't just go to a yoga studio all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing. And I think you look adorable with your hair pulled back and sweats. Cracks me up though that you didn't smile, not even once. So serious. Because I think you've got a great sense of humor and suspect you laugh a lot. :)
    Classy and very pretty all dressed up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely LOVE the video Helen! And FYI, I think most women are like that - comfy, glasses wearing, slipper wearing when we don't have to be anywhere - but we can glam it up when we have to!

    Loved hearing your voice too! :D Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the video demo! Very nice! I have a few people who have been very persistent about convincing me to try a beginner yoga class on Thursdays... You're helping nudge me there, Helen! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete